• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Anyone have any warnings or recommendations for Roofing Companies in the NWI area ... Da Region ... Lake County? That last windstorm moved up our roof replacement timetable and we're shopping around.

Let me know your gripes, concerns, ... joys ... your experience. Thanks.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't know if they are in your area but, DO NOT use Best Choice Roofing. I had to threaten a lawsuit to get my brand new leaking roof fixed and paid for interior damages.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is who I recommend. I know the owner and he's a good, honest guy. His son used to be one of my law partners and is a good friend. They did my roof after the great deluge of September 2008. They do all kinds of construction, but I personally know they do a great job on roofs.

http://rjconstruction73.com/

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Forgot to mention ... if you have a serious gripe and don't want to post about it in the thread, just PM me the details. I don't want anyone getting sued for libel.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hayes roofing is also good. I had them do my roof and gutters a little over a year ago and have no complaints. They're located in Hobart

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've used ABC roofing in the past here in Indy. Pricey, but great work. Exactly as if they would have done their own home.

INGO's View Profile: CHCRandy - INGunOwners does roofing on the west side of Indy, and seems like a great guy (some minor consulting work experience) just not sure how far north he travels.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I used R L Roofing and couldnt be happier! They did a complete tear off, installed a bath vent, and ridge vent. Their workmanship is very good. Everything hand nailed. They knocked out approx. an 800sq. roof in 8 hrs start to finish with replacing half the deck. Pricing was middle of the road, but still over a thousand less than my top bid, and less than a thousand more than my lowest bidder. Their workmanship warranty is long, I think 25 years, but dont quote me, and the materials are per manufacturer... I think I went with owens corning 50 year.

Out of 10 companies I called, half didnt answer the phone. Of the 5 left, 2 didnt show up for an estimate appointment. Out of the final three, R L Roofing was the only one I felt treated me with respect. They answered the phone, kept every appointment to the minute, even started a day early when they had a cancellation. They EARNED my business with excellent customer service, and quality materials. I would use them again and again. Thy are an NWI local owned business with local employees. I cant speak highly enough of these guys.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    My parents just had there's done by Korellis roofing. They're a union company, and my parents are extremely satisfied. The lead of the job kept my dad updated every step of the way, with their progress and findings. My dad knew exactly what he wanted and considered 2 other companies I believe. Korellis got the job because they knew what he wanted and didn't give him the run around or try to steer him in another direction like the others.

I have heard from numerous people never use Kraz Construction.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    M&M Roofing out of Crete, IL and Crown Point. My uncle owns and built the company from the ground up and has been in business in the region for 30+ years. Probably wont be the cheapest quote you get, but it will be done right.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Used Maris & Son on 61st in Merrillville for a job at the club 2 years ago. Happy with the results. fyi, every roofer you have come do an estimate has a tape measure that works different from the last one... :dunno:

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I shoulda gave you the link to begin with, but here you go! Contact RL Roofing Service Chesterton, Valparaiso IN

For the record, the roofing companies on my crap list are as follows: Not a complete list, but the most memorable wastes of time are:

Hobart Roofing - Apparently out of business yet advertising like they still are. Went to the shop, abandoned. Obviously didn't answer the phone. Don't bother.

Boyer Construction - Didn't answer phone several times, and when they did they couldn't get out for an estimate for a couple weeks and even then they were booked solid for several months, unable to do the work. Not good. Hire some more people if you're passing up work.

Porter County Roofing
    - This one was especially disappointing beings I'm a lifelong Porter County boy. They were an appointment no-show x 2! The excuse they gave was that their ONE estimate guy was also working on roofs, rooves? and didn't have time to get to his appointments. They didn't even bother to call and tell me they weren't coming. (Must have been comcast folks in their former lives) This resulted in 2 days of mine wasted, and the loss of my business. How many more customers are they pissing off? Seems like the jobs they are scaring away could easily pay some local guys who are in need of a job. Either way, they're headed for early retirement if they don't rethink their business model.

Tri-County Roofing
    - This one takes the cake. These guys are expensive, like LAUGHABLY expensive. Their estimate came in approaching $10,000 on a $4,000 job using the same materials as R.L! Mine was an out-of-pocket job, meaning there is no insurance company to rape. They knew this, and I immediately got the feeling they just wanted me to go away, so I did... breaking out into full outloud laughter and kicking the guy off my property in disgust. That's a scumbag way of doing business.

So yeah, don't hesitate to skip all the above BS and go straight for R.L. Roofing.

Best of luck to ya!
    -RS

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Used Maris & Son on 61st in Merrillville for a job at the club 2 years ago. Happy with the results. fyi, every roofer you have come do an estimate has a tape measure that works different from the last one... :dunno:

People always are asking me about this. Insurance even makes it more complicated in their summary. Some guys ignore inch marks and round up to nearest foot....and the waste factor makes them all different as well, and the shingle type affects the waste. Some allow 10% up to 25% waste on a chopped up hip roof, 3 tab.....although most are 10%, 12% or 15%. It really is a personal experience type of thing. You look at the roof and decide how much waste to add.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    People always are asking me about this. Insurance even makes it more complicated in their summary. Some guys ignore inch marks and round up to nearest foot....and the waste factor makes them all different as well, and the shingle type affects the waste. Some allow 10% up to 25% waste on a chopped up hip roof, 3 tab.....although most are 10%, 12% or 15%. It really is a personal experience type of thing. You look at the roof and decide how much waste to add.

ok, that is a reasonable look at it.
    But let me ask this - if the most accurate measurement is a 28 square job, what do you think the swing would be in number of squares quoted from 5 different roofing companies?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    ok, that is a reasonable look at it.
    But let me ask this - if the most accurate measurement is a 28 square job, what do you think the swing would be in number of squares quoted from 5 different roofing companies?

I would guess 26 to 30 if it wasn't real cut up...but it was probably even greater than that. A lot of guys doing roofs now days that are salesman and never really did a roof on their own. I can usually get a normal roof within +/- 1 square....but even I have had 50 square jobs that were 4-5 square short and long. I usually try to error on the too much side though, just because if I tell someone $5000 I don't want my final bill to exceed that. I would rather my final bill be $250 less than estimate rather than either have to charge for additional or eat it....which we normally eat it.

Most of our jobs are now measured by satellite.....they are usually accurate within 2-3%. It is the same way the insurance companies measure roofs. Makes it a lot easier and eliminates this from happening.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    How many roofers are you going to be able to contact via a forum the next day?
    Randy will do the job like it's his own home. period.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Well ... we narrowed it down to two companies that we liked and wow ... once the estimates came in, the higher estimate was 91% more than the lower. :dunno:

Top Bottom