• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, I'm almost home after my week in the Keys. We got there last Saturday evening. On Sunday, we went to a place called Theater of the Sea. My wife and daughter did a wade with a dolphin and got to give it a hug, kiss, hold it, etc. Then my daughter and I did a sea lion swim. That was really cool. Same as above but with a sea lion. They also had sea turtles, many types of fish, parrots, etc. It was a great place.

On Monday, we drove down to Key West and did a wave runner tour all around the island. We had a brand spanking new 3 seater and that baby had some power. My 7 year daughter wasn't too excited about doing 40+ mph in the Atlantic as it got pretty choppy. I managed to keep up without dumping her or the wife. There was another ski with 3 people and they dumped one of them. After that, we went on a biplane ride around Key West. My daughter loved that. That night, we went to the southernmost point and walked Duval Street all the way to Mallory square and took in some of the shows and the beautiful sunset.

On Tuesday, we went on a ferry ride to the Dry Tortugas and toured Fort Jefferson and snorkeled. I'm not sure what the logistics are but you can camp there. I'd recommend going that route as 4.5 hrs isn't really enough time to take in everything. I got to see a couple sea turtles and a bunch of flying fish while on the ferry. You can see the bottom most of the 70 miles to the Tortugas.

Wednesday, we went snorkeling and parasailing. My daughter loved the parasailing. I figured she'd freak out but she loved it.

Thursday, we went on a charter boat out of Islamorada. 4 of us caught a total of 12 blackfin tuna. My wife and I each got 3. Of course, she got the biggest 2 on the boat. I was hoping to hook into a dolphin. One guy hooked up with one but it got off pretty quick.
    Islamoradacharterboat056.jpg

Friday, we went on a glass bottom boat tour of the reef. That was really cool. After that, we went to the beach. We got up early this morning and got on the road.

I'd post more pics but I don't put myself or my family on the net.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Navy Squadron, RVAH-12 was based at NAS Albany, GA. When we returned from Nam, our base was closed and we had to move to NAS Key West in December 1973.

Oh, what a move that was. The winter months in the Keys were like being in Heaven.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I asked myself why I couldn't get stationed someplace cool like Key West but I was in Germany and Colorado, which are probably the 2 nicest places for the Army. It's definitely beautiful there.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    I just recently moved here from S FL. Key West is a different country.

Did you get to witness the night life? People driving drunk on scooters (while drinking), custom electric cars, and the almost daily fair type atmosphere?

The roaming roosters are the best.

Last edited:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Wow, you've really done this vacation up right!!! Sounds like you're having a blast. Did you see the escape artist at Mallory Sq? I've seen him several times, and I still enjoy it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ya, I saw his show and a couple others we left right after sunset to try to catch our hotel shuttle but missed it. With a 7 yo, we couldn't stay out too late. I did get a tshirt and a beer at the hogs breath though.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My uncle was stationed at NAS Key West in the 1980s. He brought home a cat :)

I love visiting down there - my brother is now at NAS Pensacola and we don't get to go as far South most of the time, but it's still a good experience :)

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Keys

We Love the Keys My wife and I We try to go down a couple times a Year , We have a Condo in Marathon
    Fly into Ft .Lauderdale or Miami , rent a car and take a nice scenic drive down
    Glad to hear You enjoyed Your trip down only problem is NOW YOU ARE ADDICTED
    and You will have to return again and again

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We Love the Keys My wife and I We try to go down a couple times a Year , We have a Condo in Marathon
    Fly into Ft .Lauderdale or Miami , rent a car and take a nice scenic drive down
    Glad to hear You enjoyed Your trip down only problem is NOW YOU ARE ADDICTED
    and You will have to return again and again

Unfortunately, Hwy 1 is a total cluster right now. They closed down the northbound side at MM 106. You have to take the road going through Card sound to get up north. They have pretty much the whole thing under construction from the Turnpike all the way to Key Largo and various other spots all the way down to Key West. I'm glad they didn't close the northbound side before Thursday as it took us about 20 miles out of our way going back Thursday night. We were staying at MM 113.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the update. My wife and I took one of the fast cats over to the Dry Tortugas a few years ago and thought the same thing about 4.5 hrs not being nearly enough time to enjoy it. On the boat over, we met a young couple with backpacks who were taking the boat with plans to camp for a few days and then leave on a return trip with the fast cat. Apparently, if you want to camp that's the best way to go about it.

On the camping front, one of the rangers there told me to bring a 5-gal of water as there is nowhere on the island to get fresh water for camping. He also told me that there is seldom more than one or two tents on any given night, so it should be a pretty nice place to watch the sunset and see the stars at night.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ya, they said there is no fresh water anywhere in the Keys. It is all brought in. I can see why as the salt water table is probably a couple inches below the surface. The tour guide at the Tortugas said that the number of islands out there is always changing as water levels rise and fall and also with erosion. She said one of them lost about half it's size after the last tropical storm and one disappeared a few years ago. She showed us a really shallow sand bar that used to be that island and that it appears to be coming back.

If I were ever to go back, I'd definitely camp at least 1 night. We only really got to check out about a 1/4th of the fort as I wanted to spend some time in the water to.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Having been born in Key West, I'd have to say that I am kind of partial to the place.

Maybe in my twilight years, I will develop an irresistible urge to return to the place of my birth.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Having been born in Key West, I'd have to say that I am kind of partial to the place.

Maybe in my twilight years, I will develop an irresistible urge to return to the place of my birth.

I would think the urge to go there to spawn would be greater.

(I know, old post, but I couldn't resist.)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I still have family on Key West. There have been since around 1958 when my G-mother moved there for her health with my Uncles.
    Many have passed. 2 of my cousins remain with their family's. They own a marina based business and are doing very well.

Not been on the Island in many years.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Went again a few years ago after having been there in 1981.
    In '81 I was a poor college student in Florida for seasonal work. Our group couldn't afford to stay on the island legally, but the owner of the local drive-in said if we paid to watch the movie we could stay. So we camped in the lot at the drive-in. We got there on the old two-lane bridge with no shoulders. The lone drawbridge in the 7 mile section had a problem (we heard it was a backhoe on a trailer that came loose and the bucket dropped through the metal bridge grating and set off the propane tank that powered it) We were stuck for several hours immobile on the bridge, but that was OK with us. We were big bird watchers, and got to see many big birds in the water and on nearby small islands. One evening at Mallory Square a 3-masted sailing ship came by and launched water balloons from the rigging at the crowd.

On our recent trip we were introduced to the Duval Street Shuffle - oblivious drunk people wandering up and down the street, bumping into other people and passing out. Our oldest was in a band that played at Sloppy Joe's the previous week, so he told us what to go see. LOTS of "alternative lifestyle" shops now, including one right across from our lodging. We had set up a night on a sailboat, but got held up in Miami traffic so we arrived about an hour late. The owners refused to meet us, so we had to find alternative accommodations. No drive-in any more. Still an amazing place. And PALM TREES!

Top Bottom