Other than Guns, I play with tracked vehicles. Anyone else do stupid stuff?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Anyone else like tracked vehicles or obsolete military vehicles?

This is my pride and joy. My wife says I am an idiot. I cannot argue with her.

Its a 1972 Aktiv Snow Trac. I brought it home to Indiana from England a few years back. These were used by the NATO forces, specifically the British Commandos, to patrol the Norway/USSR mountain border during the cold war. Its aluminum, can be lifted by helicopter, and is capable of climbing river banks too steep to walk up.

This is in my front yard:
    Herbie1-2007.jpg

In the field next to my shop:
    1-2.jpg

Rescuing the neighbor's JEEP that got stuck out in the fields (about a 1/2 mile from the nearest road:
    1P1030880.jpg

In the 'back 40' along the creek:
    0.jpg

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Anyone else like tracked vehicles or obsolete military vehicles?
    Yes... My dad's busness stated after he restored a Hawk Missile loader transporter for a gentelman, then a second for the same indavidual. Word spread, eventually people were calling wanting old Jeeps or other MV's restored so he formed a LLC. quit his job and works full time restoring antique military vehicles...
    Unfortunately I don't have a picture of either hawk missile carrier; however, I've got one of a British 1941 morris commercial LRC MKII. 5 left in the world, one in the U.S... and my dad's business restored it.

100_1914.jpg

100_1915.jpg

[Client's kid crawling around in it when they came to pick it up]
    The client wanted a base color so he could do the camoflage himself... It held a Bren in the turrent, and a single-shot anti-tank (forgot the name, but had been rebored to 50cal) rifle next to the turrent over the hatch.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Yes... My dad's business stated after he restored a Hawk Missile loader transporter for a gentleman, then a second for the same individual. Word spread, eventually people were calling wanting old Jeeps or other M's restored so he formed a LLC. quit his job and works full time restoring antique military vehicles...
    Unfortunately I don't have a picture of either hawk missile carrier; however, I've got one of a British 1941 morris commercial LRC MKII. 5 left in the world, one in the U.S... and my dad's business restored it.

[Client's kid crawling around in it when they came to pick it up]
    The client wanted a base color so he could do the camouflage himself... It held a Bren in the turret, and a single-shot anti-tank (forgot the name, but had been re bored to 50cal) rifle next to the turrent over the hatch.

You need an older brother :) Please tell Dad that I'll have all of the necessary legal papers Fed Ex to his house.

Now, which vehicle are we mounting the 50 cal in, brother :do2:

Way CooooooooooooooooooooL :runaway:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Neat stuff. I've always wanted something like this, but never had anywhere near the income needed.

That Snow-Trac looks like something used to chase James Bond around with.

My Dad's army unit (Armored Cav) was reorganized into a Constabulary unit after WWII and patrolled the borders between US- and Soviet-ocupied Germany. They rode around in armored cars (the M8?) doing that, and I would love to have one of those just for that reason.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    That Snow-Trac looks like something used to chase James Bond around with.
    I don't think there was ever a Snow Trac in a James Bond movie, but one was driven by Jack Nicholson in THE SHINING. There are others that made their way into the movies too.

England also sent a bunch of Snow Tracs down to the Faulkand Islands, there may have been a few that made it there. I have seen documentation saying that the main ship carrying a bunch of Snow Tracs ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Snow Tracs were also used by the US and Canada, mainly during the cold war era, they were support vehicles used way up north to patrol the radar installations, and by the USAF on some of the northernmost airstrips. Thiokol 600 series units were also used for this purpose.

The beauty of these things is they go just as well on fields as on snow, and can be used on sand dunes too. My wife goes :runaway: when I drive across the front lawn in the summer. The metal treads seem to wreak havoc on the grass! I figure it is just less to mow :lmfao:

Top Bottom