• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My 2011 CX-9 has 36xxx miles on it. Bought it new and am very pleased with it, except the brakes. Seems to be too much pedal travel and pressure required and too long to stop. Had it serviced recently at Mazda and they report all pads are in the green. Does Mazda offer an upgraded brake system? I know, I can call the dealer, but would like to get the straight story from the INGO folks.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Try flushing fluid with a pressure bleeder.

You can build your own. You tube has been an absolute darling for me when it comes to newish car conundrums.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Have you driven any other CX-9s like yours? May be worth looking one up on autotrader at a local dealer for a test drive, then you can see if there is a problem with yours, or if they all brake that way.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Have you driven any other CX-9s like yours? May be worth looking one up on autotrader at a local dealer for a test drive, then you can see if there is a problem with yours, or if they all brake that way.

This was to be my next suggestion, get a comparison car of similar age and mileage and see how it feels. Could be characteristic, or you could have a problem.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the replies. Had the brake fluid flushed and replaced a couple months ago. No change in performance. I noticed when I got this car that the brakes weren't as good as those on my other car, a Honda Accord. It would be nice to try another CX-9 for comparison. Will look into that.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    [STRIKE]Tires impact stopping distance, are they ready for replacement?[/STRIKE]

OG's CX-9 doesn't seem to have 'excessive' brake travel with the pads I installed last summer. It's a big vehicle compared to an Accord, make sure your expectations are in line with the vehicle's capability.

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Mazda used DOT 3. Since posting this I think I should ask the service manager to take it for a ride and get his input. He seems to be a pretty straight forward guy.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I have the same complaint with my CX5 ... mentioned it to Dealership on 50,000 service and was told everything in GREEN ... also told rotors are Ceramic and usually have to be changed with the pads -- $ 450 / axle

Top Bottom