[Asset Forfeiture] Police took more stuff from people than burglars did in 2014.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What say you INGO? Is this a problem, or just something that's going to happen from time-to-time?

In 2014, for the first time ever, law enforcement officers took more property from American citizens than burglars did. Martin Armstrong pointed this out at his blog, Armstrong Economics, last week.

Law enforcement took more stuff from people than burglars did last year

Cet6PISUUAQhh-Q.jpg:large

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not sure that it's a fair comparison if only based on dollar value. It takes a lot of home break-ins to equal the seizure of a 100' yacht.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure that it's a fair comparison if only based on dollar value. It takes a lot of home break-ins to equal the seizure of a 100' yacht.

Yeah I was wondering that... plenty of variables to make the graph sway one direction over the other. Get a few ultra high priced items and it's bound to happen

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

All that demonstrates is that theft is easier when the State sends the gunmen, and ignores constitutionally protected rights.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Seems our rights are being trampled by civil forfeiture no matter how you look at it. By civil forfeiture, I'm talking about police seizing property and the rightful owner never getting it back with no trial or other conviction or proof of wrong doing. This is where assets are seized and burden of proof is actually put on the person the items or money were seized from. That person must prove (essentially impossible) that the items/cash were legal and only intended to be used for legal purposes. Essentially, the items/cash are what go on trial.....not the person. And items/cash don't have rights.

4th Amendment - Prohibit unreasonable searches and SEIZURE
    5th Amendment - Protects the right to DUE PROCESS
    8th Amendment - Protects against EXCESSIVE FINES

Seems all of those are being broken.

There should be public outrage.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Seems our rights are being trampled by civil forfeiture no matter how you look at it. By civil forfeiture, I'm talking about police seizing property and the rightful owner never getting it back with no trial or other conviction or proof of wrong doing. This is where assets are seized and burden of proof is actually put on the person the items or money were seized from. That person must prove (essentially impossible) that the items/cash were legal and only intended to be used for legal purposes. Essentially, the items/cash are what go on trial.....not the person. And items/cash don't have rights.

4th Amendment - Prohibit unreasonable searches and SEIZURE
    5th Amendment - Protects the right to DUE PROCESS
    8th Amendment - Protects against EXCESSIVE FINES

Seems all of those are being broken.

There should be public outrage.
    Not true, in Indiana anyway. If we seize property, we must go to civil court within a certain number of days and prove they are the fruits of the criminal activity. Now since it is civil, the burden of proof is not "beyond a reasonable doubt" but 51%...more likely than not. Much like victims of a crime that sue the suspect in civil court and it is separate to the criminal case...even if it was still pending.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not true, in Indiana anyway. If we seize property, we must go to civil court within a certain number of days and prove they are the fruits of the criminal activity. Now since it is civil, the burden of proof is not "beyond a reasonable doubt" but 51%...more likely than not. Much like victims of a crime that sue the suspect in civil court and it is separate to the criminal case...even if it was still pending.

Better than in some other states, but still, allowing the .gov to jack our stuff on 51% seems to invite abuse.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's why making the standard clear and convincing is a much needed reform IMHO.

Sounds good, and conviction of crimes proven to have yielded the assets in question beyond a reasonable doubt would be a good standard, unless we simply abolish asset forfeiture completely.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sounds good, and conviction of crimes proven to have yielded the assets in question beyond a reasonable doubt would be a good standard, unless we simply abolish asset forfeiture completely.
    So, is civil law not sufficient to decide civil matters? Or, is it that the Gov should not be using this legal process? I remember the OJ Trial and the groans of the jury decision. I also remember the cheering of "justice done" when the civil jury found him guilty. It is a fair process for civilians but unfair for the government?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So, is civil law not sufficient to decide civil matters? Or, is it that the Gov should not be using this legal process? I remember the OJ Trial and the groans of the jury decision. I also remember the cheering of "justice done" when the civil jury found him guilty. It is a fair process for civilians but unfair for the government?

Right there. If I run a stop sign and slam into your patrol car, that would be different, and would be a true civil matter between a .gov agency and Yours Truly. Claiming civil process as a remedy for alleged criminal behavior (or even proven criminal behavior, in which case if forfeiture is to exist, it should be a CRIMINAL penalty for CRIMINAL activity, tried in CRIMINAL court under CRIMINAL standards) which can then be run through court on a 51% standard is nothing but a way to short-circuit due process.

I would have to add that the OJ fiasco is a poor example of most any point other than why the justice system should not be allowed to be converted into a circus. The juror flashing a 'black power' gesture at OJ as he left the courtroom acquitted did not aid the cause of an impartial trial. The civil trial being used as a second crack at OJ did not strike me as a good thing, even with questions about the criminal trial given that two wrongs don't make a right, especially when the two wrongs reinforce precedent for the next time and the time after that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom