• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Then, the manager stood behind the suspect's car and tried to stop them from leaving, according to the report, but the car reversed and hit the manager. The manager tried to get the keys out of the ignition and was hit on the hand and then by the vehicle again, the manager told police.

For those who will comment prior to reading the article.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wrong Coke to put oneself in harm's way over...

And now you know why places with self-serve fountains give clear cups to those who pay less for water.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    is that why it's felony theft for a coke?
    A person who knowingly or intentionally takes property from another person or from the presence of another person:
    (1) by using or threatening the use of force on any person; or
    (2) by putting any person in fear;
    commits robbery, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon or results in bodily injury to any person other than a defendant, and a Class A felony if it results in serious bodily injury to any person other than a defendant. - See more at: Ind. Code § 35-42-5-1 : Indiana Code - Section 35-42-5-1: Robbery
    Sounds like it.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Read this the other day, I can't believe the manager put himself in harms way for a coke.

Something tells me there's more to the story. This must be an ongoing issue.

I know it seems petty on the surface but it is theft. I was doing a project at a university one time and ate at the food court most days. Every day a young man would come down the stairs, look around, and fill his cup with soda out of the machine. He probably stole $10-15 worth of soda just while I was working on this one project.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Still can't see felony robbery. The THEFT of $1.00 worth of soda occurred, and was completely separate from the assault and/or hit-n-run. He didn't take anything by force. he took it and left, and then the manager decided to escalate.

Seriously. Do shoplifters get tagged with felony robbery for a $1 pack of gum, if they get into a scuffle with Loss Prevention in the parking lot?

Can't imagine this won't be dropped down to a minor infraction on that point.

Still, theft is theft. They should all have to pay for their $1 sodas.

The "trying to run someone over" is a whole 'nuther thing.

So much idiocy going around these days.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    is that why it's felony theft for a coke?

the manager was a fool to risk injury for this issue; he could have reported it and went about his business

But I have no problem with the kid being arrested. It wasn't an accident, and he refused an opportunity to make it right.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seriously. Do shoplifters get tagged with felony robbery for a $1 pack of gum, if they get into a scuffle with Loss Prevention in the parking lot?

It depends. By the letter of the law, it's a robbery if you use force to escape. It is removing property from a person or presence of another person, and the item was still in the presence of the manager. I forget the name of the case that set the case law in Indiana, but it's old enough it was a pager store. Pretty much the same circumstances, guy shoplifts a pager, manager confronts him in the parking lot, guy threatens the use of force with a deadly weapon.

Due to volume, mostly, Marion Co will rarely charge shoplifting + resist as a robbery unless there's serious injury. The last one I did was a chick who stabbed a loss prevention guy in the thigh.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For some reason, I can't edit.

Remember, theft is a crime against property and dollar value matters. Robbery is a crime against person, so the level of violence/injury is what matters, not the dollar amount.

Top Bottom