• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Hopefully this is Part I of many more to come. I've always enjoyed the rich population of gearheads on INGO. The V-10 Gasser thread inspired me to start this out.

I want this to be a place where we all swap stories and pics and questions and speed parts. I want to see the project cars and hear tales of street races. Race cars, vintage cars, rat rods, supercars, ricers, crotch-rockets, and cruisers. All are welcome!

Have at it Gearheads!! :rockwoot:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My first car was a 1965 Pontiac Tempest/Lemans convertible with a rebuilt "stock" engine with enhance carburetion and combustion and reduced backpressure. However, I grew up on the westside of Indy and worked at IMS and IRP. Used to put grape and orange juice in the car.:D

The sand-colored land boat did not look fast, especially compared to GTOs, Novas, 442s or whatever (in fairness the Lemans was not really designed as a "muscle" car). Police clocked it at 0 when I was driving 35, but a high octane diet made all the difference in the world.:D

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My father-in-law talks about all his brother's cars from back in the day. He bought a '67 Mustang Fastback brand new. Sold it to a guy in Morgantown a few years later because he wanted something different and it's still in pristine condition today. Probably worth 10x what he payed for it. I envy all you guys that were around for those glory days.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Only picture of my "hot rod" 225 horsepower, 250 ft lbs of torque, it was a blast to drive. Got her up to 150 on I-70, that was eye opening to say the least

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    83189813.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I don't have any hot rods any more. But as I age, I am increasingly want one. I'd get something like this...
    597be179bb1545266cefb65400a655c7.jpg

Not for work, just to cruise around in.

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not sure how I missed this one... I won't post them all in one post as that's just too much and it's more fun to spread them out.

I grew up around cars (still growing up around cars....), mostly at shows and in the garage working with dad. Oddly enough, didn't attend a drag race until 2013....

I'll start with the car that I have earliest memories of, sure it's not a hot rod, but I use to call it daddy's hot rod because that thing was FAST!!! Amazing how things seem so fast when you're young. We moved out of this house when I was 2 so this is around thenish. And yes I'm still that adorable. :)

Around that time, this car was being built in the garage. I don't remember any of that, but I do remember the car after it was done. This is the car that started my love affair, my first shows were attended in this car. I didn't appriciate it then as much as I do now because it wasn't "cool"... If you've seen My Cousin Vinny, this is the car they talk about. 1963 Pontiac Lemans. This one was fitted with the 195ci 4 cylinder, which was 1/2 a 389. Had a 3 speed manual gear box and what made this car unique was the drivetrain layout. Front engine, rear transaxle. Designed by John Delorean. The engine and trans were connected by a flexible driveshaft, commonly called a "rope drive."

Me sitting in it at a show that I still remember. It brought home the highest honor trophy of Presidents choice, the owner of the dealership hosting the show picked it as his favorite.

1/2 done engine shot. Notice one side of the 389 just 'chopped' off. These engines, as all Pontiacs, were known to be torquey. In fact, Micky Thompson raced quite a few of these engines with GMC superchargers attached, he even raced a custom built 2 cyclinder blown version.

Sadly my dad enjoys building them more than driving them and this one was sold back in the late 90s, I've made it a life goal to get one for myself, only mine will be a hardtop and more of a hot rod.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My son and I saw a mid 60's dodge on a trailer yesterday driving home from scouts. We talked about how it was a likely a project car just purchased.
    I then reminded him that my miata was approaching 20 years old next year, and how time flies.
    He said 'yeah, 20 years is old, but that car we saw must've been from way back in the 80's with those fins on the back'
    :ugh:
    Clearly I have failed my son.

My son in front of 1 of 3 deloreans at Lizton gas station last year. epic. Just happened to be wearing his back to the future holographic hat.
    DSCN3675_zpstjtztvze.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My son and I saw a mid 60's dodge on a trailer yesterday driving home from scouts. We talked about how it was a likely a project car just purchased.
    I then reminded him that my miata was approaching 20 years old next year, and how time flies.
    He said 'yeah, 20 years is old, but that car we saw must've been from way back in the 80's with those fins on the back'

Mecum auction is coming to Indy this month, bigger variety of old cars there than you'll see anywhere.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

:laugh:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    After the lemans was sold dad went a few years without a hotrod. Then he found a really good deal on a '93 fox body mustang convertible. Gave it a paint job and held onto it for a few years. It was a fun car, I wasn't old enough to drive it.... Only a couple pix of that one floating around, but it looks like every other red convertible...

Next major project and what started me on my current path of restoration work. 1959 Beetle. I was involved somewhat in this one, that is when he could get me to work....

Most would have just said "no thanks" to this car, but my father wanted to test his skills and teach me.

Best representation of the shape the car was in..... Again, would have been better off getting scrapped...

But a little new metal and some love.

Bought in October of 2006 and finished up in 2009. Would have been sooner, but I got in the way :cool:. More on that later.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I might actually contribute something to this thread a little later but if you're having a slow night some time and want to read an interesting thread. . . . . Notes from the Flyover Zone... .

Malamute John in the above thread is a good buddy of mine and if there was something unique or interesting going on in the car world in the Tulsa area probably from the day he was born until the present moment and he was in the neighborhood he was deeply involved. A very articulate story teller with a picture perfect memory, as I found out when we stopped in one time and he started regaling my GF with stories of our many feats of daring do!!! "I'm sorry Senator but I have no clear recollection of those events as you've described them".:dunno::laugh:

Honestly the guy should write a book, from his stories about every cool car in the 'hood back in the day to comparing his '70 corvette roadster to the local rich dudes ferrari to see whose car was the yellowest, he can tell a story just as clearly as watching it happen in person. The website is also an opportunity to look at the hot rodding scene on the other side of the pond.
    '

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom