• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Getting into this stuff, you have to see this. It deserves its own thread.

[video=youtube;DQ5Elbvvr1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5Elbvvr1M[/video]

and this...

[video=youtube;zb3zuk1qNDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb3zuk1qNDk[/video]

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yes, I saw a while back where the Chinese were producing small, concrete, 3D printed homes to meet housing shortages. Quite innovative indeed.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well, the Romans built structures out of concrete with no rebar thousands of years ago that are still standing...I'm guessing that if done right these might last a Lot longer than the folks who'd own them.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, I don't know too much about it either, but the walls are hollow. I imagine, if needed, they could throw some rebar in there and fill it with concrete like a block wall.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    IANAE (engineer), but I'd think hollow would be great for running plumbing/electrical. And I seem to remember from one of the many shows on the History Channel that it's the rebar rusting that usually causes concrete to crack and fail in big structures...so long as it's only a single, maybe double level home, I'd think this method would be plenty strong...and the speed would hopefully mean cost-effective as well.

Years ago I saw a video on making hemispherical structures by inflating big balloon thingies and pouring concrete over them--I'd think this would be better, as you could design whatever internal shapes and room sizes you'd like to have and just let the printer build it--no weird corners, off-true construction, etc, etc.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IANAE (engineer), but I'd think hollow would be great for running plumbing/electrical. And I seem to remember from one of the many shows on the History Channel that it's the rebar rusting that usually causes concrete to crack and fail in big structures...so long as it's only a single, maybe double level home, I'd think this method would be plenty strong...and the speed would hopefully mean cost-effective as well.

Years ago I saw a video on making hemispherical structures by inflating big balloon thingies and pouring concrete over them--I'd think this would be better, as you could design whatever internal shapes and room sizes you'd like to have and just let the printer build it--no weird corners, off-true construction, etc, etc.

Monolithic Domes

I like these... I've been inside the one they call "Charca Casa", there at Italy, TX. I'd love to live in one like it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think the really cool versions of this are (or will be) the proposals to send great big self-deploying 3-D printers to other planets, where they will use local soil plus maybe on-board binder to 3-D print living structures for the humans that follow months later.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Monolithic Domes

I like these... I've been inside the one they call "Charca Casa", there at Italy, TX. I'd love to live in one like it.

Your Google-foo is strong, BoR!! I did a brief search and didn't find these. I love the idea, and think they would be really good at resisting most environmental dangers...but building the internals would just have to be a real bear, trying to match up curvatures and such.

I've also seen where they use a foam form with concrete poured inside it, ending up in foam-insulated, concrete cored walls. (One company here: Quad-Lock Insulated Concrete Forms = Better Buildings )

I think all 3 methods would produce a home better insulated, probably stronger and with a longer lifetime than traditional stick framing does. I guess it just comes down to what's economical for the home buyer as well as what tech is available to the home builder.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think the really cool versions of this are (or will be) the proposals to send great big self-deploying 3-D printers to other planets, where they will use local soil plus maybe on-board binder to 3-D print living structures for the humans that follow months later.

Pumapunku

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

Top Bottom