• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Headed out to Laporte from my terminal on the 80/90 toll road and it sounds like I hit the jackpot. Lights and buzzers abound. I made it to a rest area 6 mile ahead (at 35 mph do to the engine being derated, I'll be danged to park a 90,000 pound truck full of gasoline on the side of a busy interstate.)

The stupid emmisions crap on the truck has been problematic in the 14 months we've had it. Of the 5 new trucks we have (less than 2 years old) only 2 have been relatively problem free.

So a little word of wisdom for new diesel vehicle buyers, light duty pickups and heavy duty work trucks, don't buy one. You might get a good one but the chances are good that there will be problems.

So I'm waiting on a tow to pull me to the station so I can get the load off. This should be fun. I've never riden in a tow truck before!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    In the four years that I have owned my diesel Dodge 2500 truck, I have had to take it back to the dealer 12 times for emission problems. One time, they fixed it and I got about five miles away before it failed again.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Headed out to Laporte from my terminal on the 80/90 toll road and it sounds like I hit the jackpot. Lights and buzzers abound. I made it to a rest area 6 mile ahead (at 35 mph do to the engine being derated, I'll be danged to park a 90,000 pound truck full of gasoline on the side of a busy interstate.)

The stupid emmisions crap on the truck has been problematic in the 14 months we've had it. Of the 5 new trucks we have (less than 2 years old) only 2 have been relatively problem free.

So a little word of wisdom for new diesel vehicle buyers, light duty pickups and heavy duty work trucks, don't buy one. You might get a good one but the chances are good that there will be problems.

So I'm waiting on a tow to pull me to the station so I can get the load off. This should be fun. I've never riden in a tow truck before!
    Sorry to hear of this, and a hot day to boot!

Did you run out of fuel? :)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Sorry to hear of this, and a hot day to boot!

Did you run out of fuel? :)

Nope. Wouldn't matter. I don't have any diesel in the barrel anyway.

We've been trying to track down a faulty sensor/circuit. A voltage drop of less than 1/2 an amp can cause a sensor to think something is wrong. All the sensors test good so the dealer thinks that it's in the wiring harness. Hopefully this time they will find it.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Nope. Wouldn't matter. I don't have any diesel in the barrel anyway.

We've been trying to track down a faulty sensor/circuit. A voltage drop of less than 1/2 an amp can cause a sensor to think something is wrong. All the sensors test good so the dealer thinks that it's in the wiring harness. Hopefully this time they will find it.
    Replace it! Electrical can be a b...h nowdays.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yeah, I'll get home. It's a day cab so no sleeper. Heck, some of the stations I deliver to wouldn't fit a sleeper. I'll still do 3 more stations once I get the new tractor. I don't mind waiting as I get paid by the hour. Easy money.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Yeah, I'll get home. It's a day cab so no sleeper. Heck, some of the stations I deliver to wouldn't fit a sleeper. I'll still do 3 more stations once I get the new tractor. I don't mind waiting as I get paid by the hour. Easy money.
    Good deal out of a bad deal.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Well short night. With the 2 1/2 our delay with the truck, O wasn't able to get but 2 loads done. Buy the time I got back, I didn't have enough hours to do another load. Oh well. I'm home and the Mrs. is still awake!!!!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I have an '02 2500 diesel. When it finally wears out, I won't replace it with anything made after about 2007. Even then, I will be doing all the emissions deletes. They do nothing but lower fuel efficiency.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Update. It turned out to be a faulty DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) filter sensor. Filter was clean and the system was working like it should have but the bad sensor didn't think so.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, unless they're made by VW and cheated the emissions crap.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I feel your pain, all the DEF trucks at work are problematic and the mileage sucks. Seems like every time one of them farts and goes into limp mode it's at lest a grand and usually $5000-6000. Been talking about using gliders for new trucks and/or going to LP or NAT.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We've been begging for gliders for 4 years. But the company just won't do it because "The extra cost is worth the cleaner air". Yeah. BS.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom