• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I don't enjoy it, but my love of having cash in my pocket outweighs the distaste of the process. I'm in the middle of buying several thousand dollars worth of new furniture, and it's been a battle getting them to knock a few hundred off the total. They did finally cave, so I do get to enjoy the sweet taste of victory.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'd like to be able to do it with doctor's, but they can't even give you a number to start with half the time.

Just like car insurance. Ask them if you total your car today, how much you would receive?

Wonder if Farmer's has the answer to that one.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Do it all the time at gun shows, flea markets, and yard sales. Get a person on the other end who enjoys it too and it becomes a rather fun contest.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I view haggling as just a part of doing business. I don't view it as a like or dislike. I get haggled as a seller and I haggle as a buyer.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I hate to haggle, however, I am not wealthy enough not to. I do enjoy watching my wife haggle with car dealers though, it is excellent entertainment.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I love it. The last truck I bought, the manager wanted to hire me because I beat them down so much. It was the last day of the month, and at closing time. He shouldn't have told me that he only needed to sell 1 more unit that month to get a free vacation for his family. :) He bought my trade for $3k more than it was worth, and gave me the price I wanted on the new truck.

Come to think of it, the RV sales guy at camping world tried to hire me also.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Do it all the time at gun shows, flea markets, and yard sales. Get a person on the other end who enjoys it too and it becomes a rather fun contest.

I really enjoy watching either buyer or seller that's trying to haggle over items < $5
    I mean you've really got to enjoy the interaction to do it, cause my time is worth more than that...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hell yeah. I love it. It's a game with a lot of people.

But I have been know to pay more then asking price if I feel the person doesn't understand what they really have.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I hate it.Don't waste my TIME(limited supply).When I sell something ,I mark it up 10% so he can talk me down,pay me,and leave.I don't take advantage of people,l can sleep at night.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I also hate it. If I don't think the price is fair up front, I don't buy it. When I offer something for sale and you try to dicker, it is an automatic no sale.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I really enjoy watching either buyer or seller that's trying to haggle over items < $5
    I mean you've really got to enjoy the interaction to do it, cause my time is worth more than that...
    I can often get a $5 item for $3. Just seems to work out most of the time. I never dicker if the item is less than $1. It seems silly to haggle over spare change.

I hate it.Don't waste my TIME(limited supply).When I sell something ,I mark it up 10% so he can talk me down,pay me,and leave.I don't take advantage of people,l can sleep at night.
    We know a lot of people do this. That's why the initial offer from an experienced buyer is less than he's willing/wants to pay. He raises his price, you lower yours, everybody gets what they want at the price they want.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I want $5 for anything then give me $5 and roll on. If not I throw it back in the box.

I will work with something over $100 most times.

If I post up something for sale it is usually priced fair from the jump.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Not something I usually enjoy, but when I was in the Mideast, it was the way of the souk.

I did have one small victory in the US buying a used truck one time. I asked the salesman several times about the reliability of S-10 pickups, and he gave the 90-something % of all Chevy pickups ever made still on the road etc etc blah blah, you will have no problem blah etc.

So when it come time to sign the papers, one of them was a warranty by the dealer for 30 days. I started pounding him about that for such a "reliable" truck, demanded he give me a warranty for one year at least, after all it wouldn't cost him anything since it was such a reliable truck, right? :)

He looked like he had just eaten a toad.

We went around on this a couple times, then he went to the manager and came back with three months. I said six. Deal.

I knew I was going overseas in six months, so no real loss, just had to have wheels until then. (The truck did turn out to be very reliable tho, no problem with it at all.)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't like to haggle. If someone is selling something, I'll ask them what their best price is (even if they're stating it's a firm price). Whatever they come back with is what I'll pay assuming it's within reason. I hate talking people down on their price and I hate having it done to me.

Top Bottom