• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'll admit it... when I go to the INGO Fitness Club thread and see people posting about running ten miles or doing 100 push-ups or wanting to lose that last five pounds, I feel more discouraged than motivated. This thread is for members who have hardcore weight issues so we can support each other.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have struggled with my weight for the past twenty years or so and have lost the same fifty pounds four or five times. Now that I have type 2 diabetes, it's even more important to get the weight off and keep it off. My weakness is sweets. I really need to lose at least a hundred pounds, but fifty would be a start.

The battle begins today. I'm weighing in at 254 lbs. My goal is to lose 30 lbs by Christmas.

Hi Chez :wavey:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm not a hardcore workout guy by any means, but I will share what helped me.

A few years ago, I weighed 220 pounds. I decided I needed a change, because I hated the way I looked and felt. I sold my AR15 and a couple other guns, and I bought a Trek road bike. I rode everyday. And each ride, I kept pushing myself to go a little further. I also tried to eat healthier. I quit eating red meat, and focused more on chicken breasts and turkey.

I lost a lot of weight, and I went from wearing size 38 jeans, to size 34.

Today, size 34 jeans are a little baggy, but size 32 jeans are nut-huggers.
    I weigh 160lbs as of this morning.

I still eat healthy. My diet is:

Breakfast: 3 whole eggs for an omelette, which includes spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms and a slice of turkey bacon.
    Mid-morning snack: Protein shake with a handful of almonds.
    Lunch: a salad, which includes half a chicken breast, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, chopped bell peppers, and celery. Salad dressing is extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar. A table spoon of each.
    Afternoon snack: protein shake with a handful of almonds.
    Dinner: large chicken breast, cooked mixed veggies and cooked broccoli and cauliflower. Sometimes with a side of brown rice.

I try to workout each night. I'll lift weights, do kettlebell workouts, and go on a long bike ride if the wind speed is down.

Summer weekends, I always try to go mountain biking. I'm also slowly trying to run again.

Remember, diets WILL fail if you always try to stay faithful. Always have a cheat night. I like to have 2, which is Friday and Saturday night.

What helped me thru it all was to not weigh myself. I used my belt and the mirror for motivation, weight always fluctuates and it will always make you feel bad.

For diets, the Paleo and Whole30 were the better ones I read about. Just try to get a source of lean protein and lots of veggies in every meal, and you'll do fine. Also, drink lots of water. If you need to have a soda for the caffeine boost, always try to have the same amount of water afterwards.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    It all starts with diet and exercise, start with a evening walk, the better you feel the faster and longer. Start cooking with ground turkey breast, it taste like **** so you will not want much dinner and its only like 3 grams of fat.

Breakfast is a apple for some sugar and pickup, orange is for lunch, a rice cake if you are just dead, and that nasty turkey breast to make chili or tacos for dinner, fat free shells, sour cream, and cheese are a given.

Dieting flat sucks, the first two three weeks are the worst, after that it is easy peasy. Have fun with it but take it seriously, mind over matter, own this ****!!!

Tons of great meals you can research, you can do lots of food prep and working out on the weekends so no excuses during the week.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Through high school and after, I weight a svelt 120lbs. Scrawny little nerd.

Once I got an office job and discovered the joys of beer... I ballooned up to an uncomfortable level. My highest was about 235. Seeing myself in my wedding pictures was embarrassing.

I've always been pretty sedentary... sitting at a computer all day. I went with the no/low-carb route for weight loss, and it happened fast. Sitting between 165 and 170lbs right now, haven't been able to drop any more than that. Low-carb wasn't much of a problem for me.... never really been into the sweet foods.

Started going to the gym a few months ago for strength workout, peppering in a little cardio here and there. My blood pressure last year was at really bad levels... by my recent checkup (combined with BP meds) brought it down to nearly normal. Now THAT was a good feeling.

I've still got weight/strength goals that I'm working toward, but the biggest part of it is behind me now (all 65lbs of it). What worked for me may not work for others. The carb method works fast, definitely. Some get bored of it, but I never ran into any issues with finding things to eat.

Best of luck, there's a good method out there for everyone

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The second best thing a person can do to be healthy and live longer, the first being to quit smoking, is exercise. However, exercise is not the most effective tool to lose weight. It is really all about caloric intake.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate is the rate at which your body burns calories at rest. Basically the calories burned to keep you alive. Based on my age, gender and weight, my BMR is 2,362 calories per day. I eat that, my weight should be stable. I eat less, I will lose weight. It is much easier to cut 300 calories from that intake than to walk 2 miles every day, the caloric equivalent.

This does not mean you don't need to exercise, everyone needs to have a moderate amount of physical activity every day, but it is all about the intake. My cardiologist put it this way. "Get aerobic exercise whenever you can, but if you eat 3,000 calories a day, you'll weigh 300 pounds. Eat 2,000, you'll weigh 200 pounds." Obviously a rule of thumb but reasonably sound advice.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I wish you luck. Was always big, but I used to be really active. Now I'm just a half-crippled fat ****, but I'm not concerned enough to do much about it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I wish you luck. Was always big, but I used to be really active. Now I'm just a half-crippled fat ****, but I'm not concerned enough to do much about it.

HD, I don't know you or your limitations, but try to make some changes, however small. I have diabetes, fibromyalgia, extensive arthritis, and I'm 125 lbs overweight. I get exhausted taking out the trash or making the bed. I'm going to commit to either walking the dogs or using the elliptical every day, depending on the weather. Right now, I'm lucky if I can do 5 minutes on the elliptical, but I'm trying to build up.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Snapdragon, props to you for making a change! We have people at our crossfit gym who can't do a push up, a pull-up, or even much of a squat right now. Everything can be scaled.

go to a wall and hold your arms out to touch it with your palms. Bend your elbows, straighten your elbows. Repeat. After you feel good with that stand further away and lean further. When you get good at that lean onto your bathroom counter, and so on until you're more horizontal, then you can be on your knees doing them.

building muscle will help burn fat and help you feel better. As was said, lots of protein in your diet.

Take lots of opportunities to increase your activity. Drink tons of water as a filler, and it makes you get up and pee at work :):

also don't judge yourself by looking at others, you're not them. Write down your workouts and a sentence of how you felt, and the effort you feel you gave. It's a good way to follow your progress and motivate yourself.

good luck! Remember, in two weeks you'll not be where you want to be but you won't be where you were!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have struggled with my weight for the past twenty years or so and have lost the same fifty pounds four or five times. Now that I have type 2 diabetes, it's even more important to get the weight off and keep it off. My weakness is sweets. I really need to lose at least a hundred pounds, but fifty would be a start.

The battle begins today. I'm weighing in at 254 lbs. My goal is to lose 30 lbs by Christmas.

Hi Chez :wavey:

Ok Snap, lets get it done. Where do you fall of the wagon each time?

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've been needing to loose for awhile. In my late teens I weighed around 130 which was probably considered under weight. Then I went to college and gained a freshman 20 or 30. By then end of college I weighed in at 190 lbs. Now 14 years out of college I made it up to 225. This past december I had an Afib episode with my heart, which being 37 years old was pretty scary. I have been a smoker since 16 years old I've been struggling to completely quit, I sneak one here and there. So far it's been a week and half since I had one, I'm going to try my hardest not to have another. I know from past history eventually sneaking one in every now and then is going to turn into full blown smoking again.

Also this year I've purchased an elliptical since I sit on my ass all day at work, so hopefully in the evenings I can get a little cardio in. I haven't used nearly as much as should be. It's hard to find the time with 2 small kids, it's usually 8:30 or 9:00 by the time we get them to bed. By then I feel like taking the next hour off before I go to bed. Mornings are out as I already get up at 5am. I just need to try harder to make the time instead of finding excuses!

Anyway back to my weight, I've made the effort not go out to eat for lunch but maybe once a week. I was going 3 to 4 times a week with the guys at work. Just by doing that I dropped 10lbs right away so now I sit at 215 lbs. I do not like diets at all so my plan now is to cut back on my portion sizes and cut out the late night snacks. Hopefully this will result in more weight lose. I'd like to be around 160 to 170 lbs but it would be great to get under 200 by the holidays.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My uncle just lost 100lbs. His diet is pretty extreme. He'll fast for upwards of 48 hours and he has signs everywhere saying "Eat what you body needs, not what it wants".

My SIL lost a lot also (70ish). She has a coach that calls her every day. Cutting salt was a big part of it IIRC.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok Snap, lets get it done. Where do you fall of the wagon each time?

Sweets. But the sweets have to go, because for some reason my pesky doctor doesn't think that a fasting blood glucose of 200 is acceptable. I also tend to eat out of boredom or to avoid doing things that need doing.

True story. My cholesterol is high, so my doctor said no more bacon and eggs. I asked what I'm supposed to eat for breakfast since I have to avoid carbs. She said in her lovely Indian accent, "My dear, you have both diabetes and high cholesterol; you are basically iss-crewed."

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    We have to be honest with ourselves. We know when we eat too much or eat things we shouldn't be eating.

If sweets are your weakness you have to cut way back, pretty much cut them out for a while. Find things that are better for you and still sweet. Don't eat a lot of fruit because you've been programmed it's healthy. It's sugar and just as bad as the other sweets when trying to lose weight.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos to learn things and motivate me. I think it really helps

It takes diet and exercise. A walk here and there won't be enough or make up for a poor diet. The body has to be pushed until it becomes easy and then pushed to a new level.

It is not easy but when you start to see results you'll be motivated to keep it going.

I did it a year ago and felt the best I'd felt in ten years. Unfortunately a shoulder injury has set me back but I'll be starting back hardcore this fall.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I lost about 50 lbs back 4-5 years ago. My motivation was my sugar was getting high, it was starting to affect my eyes. I was getting weird skin patches and some other stuff. My doc said I needed to either lose weight pretty quick or plan on taking insulin the rest of my life.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Oh, and now I'm triply "iss-crewed" because I also have diverticulitis, so that means a low-residue soft diet, which consists mostly of-- you guessed it-- carbs.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sweets. But the sweets have to go, because for some reason my pesky doctor doesn't think that a fasting blood glucose of 200 is acceptable. I also tend to eat out of boredom or to avoid doing things that need doing.

True story. My cholesterol is high, so my doctor said no more bacon and eggs. I asked what I'm supposed to eat for breakfast since I have to avoid carbs. She said in her lovely Indian accent, "My dear, you have both diabetes and high cholesterol; you are basically iss-crewed."

So essentially, your issue is all nutrition, which unfortunately is the hardest part. But if you've lost 50lbs+ several times, you obviously have the motivation to be successful. IMO, what it seems like you haven't sold into, is that you need a permanent lifestyle change. That's were it starts.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    So essentially, your issue is all nutrition, which unfortunately is the hardest part. But if you've lost 50lbs+ several times, you obviously have the motivation to be successful. IMO, what it seems like you haven't sold into, is that you need a permanent lifestyle change. That's were it starts.

Agreed, Kut. The diabetes made it more urgent and more real. I know this is a forever commitment, and I already know what I need to do. I just thought that if were were more INGO-ers like me, we could support each other and hold each other accountable.

I imagine that not everyone wants their weight and health issues to be an open book, but I've always been one to put it all out there. I'll only be ashamed if I don't stick to it.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'll get in on this for sure. I currently weigh over 400lbs. It is ridiculous. I'm 6'2" age 26 and all of my family members have always been big and had a lot of health issues. I have a mostly sedentary job currently (hoping to change this soon.)

In the past I have lost over 75+lbs by eating moderately and exercising on an eliptical once for 30 minutes every 2 days. When I took this job that all changed. I stopped going to the gym, stopped eating in moderation, and slowly grew lazier over the years and gained it all back.

I want to get into shape. I need to reverse my course or I will end up with diabetes and an early death. Motivation is one of the hardest things for me to maintain, but I know once I start it'll be easier than it feels right now.

Top Bottom