• Poll closed .

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Do you call celebrate Independence day or 4th of July?

I try to call it Independence day, because the 4th is just a day of the month and I feel it waters it down and loses the meaning of the day.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I too try and call it Independence Day for the same reason, but often revert back to simply "the 4th".

I once had the opportunity to celebrate Independence Day on an Army base in England. That was truly interesting. 220 years later watching the British Royal Air Force put on an airshow for our celebration of independence from Great Britain.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I personally like the "Forth of July," for a similar reason that V8 referenced. The dates of national holidays aren't typically well remembered. Not Labor, not Memorial, President's or others. I would hate for there to come a time when people when ask "When is Independence Day again?" both references should probably be used often.

Somewhat of an example of this, is "Remember, remember the 5th of November" which IMO is better than simply saying the Gunpowder Plot, or Guy Fawkes Night.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I personally like the "Forth of July," for a similar reason that V8 referenced. The dates of national holidays aren't typically well remembered. Not Labor, not Memorial, President's or others. I would hate for there to come a time when people when ask "When is Independence Day again?" both references should probably be used often.

Somewhat of an example of this, is "Remember, remember the 5th of November" which IMO is better than simply saying the Gunpowder Plot, or Guy Fawkes Night.

The reason I say "Independence Day" is because I think a lot of people today don't actually know why or what the 4th of July is about.

This is an old video (last year), but it's sad most people don't even know most of this stuff. Watters' World: 4th of July quiz edition | On Air Videos | Fox News

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

well, Labor Day, Presidents' Day and Memorial Day change every year so I think that's a different beast.

as chez said I prefer Independence Day but revert back frequently. I'll be working until 3am and work all the evenings leading up to it. Hopefully no firework injuries

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As a Blasters fan I am with Kut...Fourth of July....

[video=youtube;mLRAbEyvyuU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRAbEyvyuU[/video]

"On the stairs I
    smoke a cigarette alone...

Mexican kids are shooting
    fireworks below...

And hey baby
    It's the Fourth of July.."

Dave Alvin

Man....This reminds me of my limey ex-girlfriend and my mullet back in the 1980's....
    She hated this song........And my mullet...

Pssshhhh....Europeans...What are ya gonna do????:)

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've always called it "The 4th of July". And fully stressed the meaning of the day with my kids as my folks did with me.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    9 Things You May Not Know About the Declaration of Independence - History in the Headlines

1. The Declaration of Independence wasn’t signed on July 4, 1776.

On July 1, 1776, the Second Continental Congress met in Philadelphia, and on the following day 12 of the 13 colonies voted in favor of Richard Henry Lee’s motion for independence. The delegates then spent the next two days debating and revising the language of a statement drafted by Thomas Jefferson. On July 4, Congress officially adopted the Declaration of Independence, and as a result the date is celebrated as Independence Day. Nearly a month would go by, however, before the actual signing of the document took place. First, New York’s delegates didn’t officially give their support until July 9 because their home assembly hadn’t yet authorized them to vote in favor of independence. Next, it took two weeks for the Declaration to be “engrossed”—written on parchment in a clear hand. Most of the delegates signed on August 2, but several—Elbridge Gerry, Oliver Wolcott, Lewis Morris, Thomas McKean and Matthew Thornton—signed on a later date. (Two others, John Dickinson and Robert R. Livingston, never signed at all.) The signed parchment copy now resides at the National Archives in the Rotunda for the Charters of Freedom, alongside the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    9 Things You May Not Know About the Declaration of Independence - History in the Headlines

1. The Declaration of Independence wasn’t signed on July 4, 1776.

On July 1, 1776, the Second Continental Congress met in Philadelphia, and on the following day 12 of the 13 colonies voted in favor of Richard Henry Lee’s motion for independence. The delegates then spent the next two days debating and revising the language of a statement drafted by Thomas Jefferson. On July 4, Congress officially adopted the Declaration of Independence, and as a result the date is celebrated as Independence Day. Nearly a month would go by, however, before the actual signing of the document took place. First, New York’s delegates didn’t officially give their support until July 9 because their home assembly hadn’t yet authorized them to vote in favor of independence. Next, it took two weeks for the Declaration to be “engrossed”—written on parchment in a clear hand. Most of the delegates signed on August 2, but several—Elbridge Gerry, Oliver Wolcott, Lewis Morris, Thomas McKean and Matthew Thornton—signed on a later date. (Two others, John Dickinson and Robert R. Livingston, never signed at all.) The signed parchment copy now resides at the National Archives in the Rotunda for the Charters of Freedom, alongside the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Yep, that's not widely known. It was expected that the 2nd of July would be to more famous date, however newspapers seized on the 4th, and it stuck.
    In any case, it an excuse to celebrate twice.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Yep, that's not widely known. It was expected that the 2nd of July would be to more famous date, however newspapers seized on the 4th, and it stuck.
    In any case, it an excuse to celebrate twice.
    The amount of things that are taught about history that are wrong is quite staggering.

Top Bottom