• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah
    Anyone a member of the IGR? Kicking around the idea of joining, but was hoping to get more real world info because it's not a decision that I'll take lightly, nor will it only affect me. I chose to go to college instead of enlist when I was young. Now I'm nearly 40, in decent shape, self employed, with a full family. I didn't know if this was a viable option at this point in my life, or if I'm getting in over my head. Any advice is appreciated.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    It looks like you should be ok, according to the IGR website you need to be be 18-65. It sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it.

IN.gov

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I was in the National Guard. I believe when I was in, cut off was 36 unless you were prior military.

If you are interested I would go to your local Armory and speak with them about spending the weekend during a drill weekend. Spending the weekend going to classes, drills ect will give you a good idea if it is something you may want to do. Just a tip, if your hair is longer, make sure you tell them you are just a visitor as I watched them shave many heads as their hair was too long.

If you have not taken the ASVAB test, take it to see what you qualify for. The higher your scores, the more options you have.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I don't know what the current age cutoff is, but I can tell you that Army basic training at age 40 is not a good plan. I went to basic at Ft. Benning at age 17, and the oldest member of our platoon was mid-late 20's. You would be older than all the drill sergeants and probably even the senior NCO's. I know things have changed somewhat since the late 80's when I was there, but I just think that basic training/AIT are much better suited to those under 30. It's not just a physical issue, it's the fact that 90% of your fellow trainees will be under 20. The cadre would make a big deal out of it, and you would get a lot of unwanted attention. Basic training is a place where you always want to blend in.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I believe he is referring to the Indiana Guard Reserve and not the Indiana National Guard. According to the website you don't get paid for drill weekends, not sure if that matters or not.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I believe he is referring to the Indiana Guard Reserve and not the Indiana National Guard. According to the website you don't get paid for drill weekends, not sure if that matters or not.
    Ok, I might have misunderstood. I am not familiar with that organization - I just assumed he was referring to the traditional Army National Guard/Army Reserve scenario. Thanks for clarifying that information.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    IGR takes over the in-state roll of the National Guard while the NG is deployed. IGR can't be deployed outside of the state and answers to the Governor of Indiana.

Duties include first response during natural disasters, securing National Guard armories while they are deployed, and assisting in training the Army and National Guard.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Indiana Guard Reserve is the States official militia if you will. They do search and rescue, armory duty when the national guard is called up, special events, stuff like that. I am interested myself but not sure about the time commitment. My understanding it's a volunteer force that supplies its own uniforms and such.

ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah

Exactly. I'm too old to qualify for most of the other national reserves, and I'm sure they would be too demanding having a family. Looking for something like this. Learn some skills and help support the state that I've been a lifelong member of, besides paying taxes. Didn't know how the volunteer system worked, or if there was basic training.

ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah
    I was in the National Guard. I believe when I was in, cut off was 36 unless you were prior military.

If you are interested I would go to your local Armory and speak with them about spending the weekend during a drill weekend. Spending the weekend going to classes, drills ect will give you a good idea if it is something you may want to do. Just a tip, if your hair is longer, make sure you tell them you are just a visitor as I watched them shave many heads as their hair was too long.

If you have not taken the ASVAB test, take it to see what you qualify for. The higher your scores, the more options you have.

Thanks for the advice. Took the ASVAB test in high school 20 years ago. Don't remember the results. My hair comes and goes, short now. I know I've got a National Guard Armory within reach, might go there for some help. Thanks guys.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally am not in the guard. However my brother is (air guard). At basic there were several guys, one whom I remember well who were older with a family.

I don't know anything about the age limit but he was in his late 30's and I remember meeting his family at graduation. It was particularly funny because I remember him introducing his wife and kids to my brother who was his dorm chief and gave him orders despite my brother being way over a decade younger. The guys daughter was enamored about the whole things and said to my brother "you mean you get to tell my dad what to do and he does it!?" as if in disbelief. It was very cool, because the guy just said that he had always felt called to serve and finally despite the "timing" it was important enough to him that he made it happen.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

Oh, my mistake.

My experience was with the Army National Guard, I know nothing about the Guard Reserve.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I've got a good friend that's been in the IGR for some time now. He loves it. They do a lot of deployment work, search and rescue stuff along with helping on some bigger events such as marathons. He's 49 now and has been in for probably 8 years. He's met some really cool people in the military.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thread revival! If anyone has any questions concerning the IGR feel free to shoot me PM and i will do my best to answer them or direct you to someone who can give an answer better than mine.

ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah
    Thread revival! If anyone has any questions concerning the IGR feel free to shoot me PM and i will do my best to answer them or direct you to someone who can give an answer better than mine.

Thanks, I wrote an entire PM and sent it, only to be notified that I can't send you one because I don't have 50 posts.

ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah
    I can answer them in the open forum as well since you cant pm.

I'm a married dad of 4, self employed. College degree, late 30's, pretty good health. No military experience. Just wondering how this would fit into my life at the moment.

Big questions would be...

1 - I know it's voluntary, what is there a minimum length of commitment?
    2 - Any basic training req'd, if so how long?
    3 - Any penalties for missing mandatory exercises?
    4 - Any opportunity to learn additional skills?
    5 - Local IGR office in NW Indiana?
    6 - How are IGRs called to service?

I'm working my way to 50 posts and beyond.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    1- 3 years is the length of enlistment and you do have the option of reenlistment if you decide to stick with it
    2- The igr basic training course teaches you military customs and courtesies, land nav, drill and ceremony and quite a bit more. It is held one saturday a month for six months at camp atterbury. Since you are up north you could obtain billeting so you can stay on post rather than have to drive that far in the morning.
    3-I believe it is a 75% attendance
    requirement but other igr activities count as satisfactory training days (basic training, ceremonies, jclc etc)
    4- I have learned so much in the last 2 years new medical training, SAR, land nav, leadership skills and a ton more.
    5- I am heading down to Atterbury tomorrow and will talk to your areas brigade recruiter about when an armory would be occupied by the igr for you to visist.
    6- the local authorities contact the state emergency operations center who contacts the adjutant general who gets permission from the governor. The orders come down through the alert roster. The igr was called out for the Lauren Spierer search and when the Columbus hospital flooded for example.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom