• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So I ran the Spartan race Saturday. I was very unprepared for the terrain and elevation changes. Ugh.

I felt fine after the race but the next morning woke up several times coughing with mucus. Gross. As time went on I felt worse, sore throat, coughing, wheezing a bit at times. Went to work Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Today I was with my wife when I felt my heart race a bit, then didn't notice anything. 45 mins later we were sitting down and I didn't feel well, started sweating. I checked my pulse and it was weak and seemed irregular. I was hoping for PVCs rather than afib. I had her drive me to work and put myself on a monitor, HR of 180 in afib. Sucks.

I hoped potassium was low or something from the race but it was normal. I declined meds and just wanted to be sedated and shocked. As they were preparing to shock me (room full of people I work with to watch me get zapped) I converted back to normal rhythm :rockwoot:. The doc had a syringe full of propofol, I was on the pads, and respiratory was at my head ready to go.

Anyway, I got an ECHO, beta blocker, and out the door. Fortunately no blood thinner since I didn't need to be shocked and I'm healthy otherwise. Just a nasty turn of events but nothing "serious" so to speak. Electrical issues better than mechanical issues. Turns out I have pneumonia, and haven't been sleeping well, working hard and took prednisone the last two days. Welcome to afib.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That'll teach you to get in shape and do athletic stuff.

I am glad you took it seriously and they figured it out. I do not need to tell you anything about pneumonia, but you know you have to make sure it gets totally stomped out.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Ahh...The wonderful world of afib. Been there, done that. Did'nt like it. At all. :noway:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Docs and nurses make the worst patients. Seems they want to analyze everything and tell the attending how to treat them. Sounds like you didn't do that. Good on ya

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That sucks. Glad you are ok. I have issues when my k goes low. For some reason I am always low. Even taking the pills won't keep it up where it should be.

Take care doc!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've had intermittent A-Fib for around 16 years now. Been cardioverted around a dozen times. More of an inconvenience than anything and I've gone back to sinus on my own at around the 24 hour mark for the past 12 years or so. Attempted an ablation early on which wasn't successful, they couldn't trigger the A-Fib in spite of torturing me on the table for four hours.

They put me on a beta blocker right after I was first diagnosed. Still had the issues but gained 30lbs and felt like I was 90 years old. After the ablation attempt I told the cardiologist I'd rather get cardioverted once a week for life than take that crap anymore. Got back in shape and I usually only experience it once a year now and it's usually connected to a vacation when I'm downing a lot of bourbon.

Here's to hoping it's an isolated event for you Doc and you have a better experience with the beta blocker than I did.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So I ran the Spartan race Saturday. I was very unprepared for the terrain and elevation changes. Ugh.

I felt fine after the race but the next morning woke up several times coughing with mucus. Gross. As time went on I felt worse, sore throat, coughing, wheezing a bit at times. Went to work Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Today I was with my wife when I felt my heart race a bit, then didn't notice anything. 45 mins later we were sitting down and I didn't feel well, started sweating. I checked my pulse and it was weak and seemed irregular. I was hoping for PVCs rather than afib. I had her drive me to work and put myself on a monitor, HR of 180 in afib. Sucks.

I hoped potassium was low or something from the race but it was normal. I declined meds and just wanted to be sedated and shocked. As they were preparing to shock me (room full of people I work with to watch me get zapped) I converted back to normal rhythm :rockwoot:. The doc had a syringe full of propofol, I was on the pads, and respiratory was at my head ready to go.

Anyway, I got an ECHO, beta blocker, and out the door. Fortunately no blood thinner since I didn't need to be shocked and I'm healthy otherwise. Just a nasty turn of events but nothing "serious" so to speak. Electrical issues better than mechanical issues. Turns out I have pneumonia, and haven't been sleeping well, working hard and took prednisone the last two days. Welcome to afib.

Thats a heck of a payback. Hope you recover quickly and completely.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    "Physician heal thy self"
    Glad you're ok Doc.
    I had a Doc a while back that over medicated himself to the point of bleeding. I'm convinced people in your profession aren't ideal patients.

Top Bottom