• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So, LEOs, based on your chase experience, how likely is this to REALLY be effective? How often do you get to get that close and in that position?

But on the surface, it looks cool as all hell!

[video=youtube;i28xDzftjH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28xDzftjH0[/video]

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If I am going to be driving close enough to a vehicle to deploy that, I'm doing a PIT. Unless the vehicle is too large. But it would be my luck the thing would fall off and flatten all my tires.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I am going to be driving close enough to a vehicle to deploy that, I'm doing a PIT. Unless the vehicle is too large. But it would be my luck the thing would fall off and flatten all my tires.

I was thinking that too. But can you pit safely at highway speeds?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Plus if you just get one of the tires (especially with a 4 by 4) the guy can still drive for miles.
    That device doesn't put a hand to the pursuit like a PIT could do, in most casses.

What about that other wonderful product?

[video=youtube;mNt2V6Lknog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNt2V6Lknog[/video]

It launches a GPS tracker to the car in front of you.
    If you get all those gadgets on your patrol car it will look like a freaking batmobile, you will need 50 more buttons on the dash too.

That GPS tracker has flaws too.
    What if the suspects ditch the car and get a new one? And you're too far behind to see it.
    It might be good to find a stolen car but not to arrest the people inside.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not trying be a jerk but I have seen how some of our LEO's drive & it's a good thing several aren't PIT certified. But those who do it right just some minor paint transfer and maybe a cracked marker lens no big deal. But some just need to take drivers ed and start over. Lol

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Not trying be a jerk but I have seen how some of our LEO's drive & it's a good thing several aren't PIT certified. But those who do it right just some minor paint transfer and maybe a cracked marker lens no big deal. But some just need to take drivers ed and start over. Lol

That can be said for a majority of the motoring public.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Can you explain pit technique? I've seen it on TV (on COPS, not movies) and the car either flips or ends up in a ditch. I know you're trying to spin them out, but I'm sure you have to pick the right time. What are you looking for before you pit them? What are you trying to accomplish to keep them from spinning out and taking off again?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Can you explain pit technique? I've seen it on TV (on COPS, not movies) and the car either flips or ends up in a ditch. I know you're trying to spin them out, but I'm sure you have to pick the right time. What are you looking for before you pit them? What are you trying to accomplish to keep them from spinning out and taking off again?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIT_maneuver

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The PIT does not immobilize the suspect vehicle and to prevent further flight, two police cars need to pin the suspect between them, front and rear.

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That can be said for a majority of the motoring public.[/QUOTE
    I would agree with that assesment.

Same here. Like the idiot millenial who was looking at her phone and apparently using me as a pace car/seeing eye dog (car?) yesterday. I was out of town on what was quickly turning into a vast empty 5 lane road. It appears to have been built for future development but no curb cuts exist yet. I needed to pull a U turn to get back to where I needed to be but I was in the right lane. No oncoming traffic (and nobody behind us), but this chick was hugging my rear bumper in the left lane preventing me from changing lanes.

So I started slowing down. And so did she. I slowed down more, so did she. I got to a ridiculously slow speed and she was still hanging out right there pacing me, preventing me from moving into her lane. I slow down more and turn on my left turn signal and am now doing 20 in a 50. She is right there with me and NO other cars to be seen. I finally had to floor it and leave her in the dust to get into that left lane. By that time I was back in civilization with cross streets and MUCH more traffic. So what should have been a quick u turn ended up being a half mile detour full of frustration.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    But I will also say in defense of our LEO's, especially during a pursuit they have a lot of things to be watching/looking for while potentially calling the speed/direction/ current location etc and trying to focus on driving. Given my motorsports background I can say that's a whole lotta crap to be doing all at once.

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The PIT does not immobilize the suspect vehicle and to prevent further flight, two police cars need to pin the suspect between them, front and rear.

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

I have done a PIT on a 90s Buick and a 90s Ford Ranger and both were immobilized when the fuel pump cut off when they spun 180 degrees. Did a PIT on a mid-2000s Toyota Camry and the guy kept driving because the fuel pump didn't shut off. It was immobilized after the second PIT when he landed upside down on the bank of a creek....

Top Bottom