• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Whats a decent scotch to try? I'm a bourbon guy through and through, anything an everything, bourbon is good. Just retried a bottle of Johnny Walker Red and it just taste off to me, barely drinkable. I'm assuming thats the "peat" taste?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Whats a decent scotch to try? I'm a bourbon guy through and through, anything an everything, bourbon is good. Just retried a bottle of Johnny Walker Red and it just taste off to me, barely drinkable. I'm assuming thats the "peat" taste?

Johnny Red isn't all that good (to me) to begin with. My rule of thumb is stick to single malts and aged as long as I can afford. Glenfiddich is pretty smooth. Glenlivit isn't bad. Of course, I prefer bourbon...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Johnny Red isn't all that good (to me) to begin with. My rule of thumb is stick to single malts and aged as long as I can afford. Glenfiddich is pretty smooth. Glenlivit isn't bad. Of course, I prefer bourbon...
    Scotch isn't all that good, stick to bourbon! Even the high dollar stuff stinks. Scotch is merely good bourbon, filtered through a dirty wool sock!

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Glenlivet is a very good one to start with. They have several different ages to pick from.

If you don't like scotch, you are a girly man... HA!

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's all what you prefer. I don't like any of them, but my dad is a true connoisseur. Chevis 12 and Famous Grouse are what he always keeps around for sipping. For the "good stuff" he's got a few bottles of other stuff, and none of them are Johnny Walker....

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    some of my favorites are Oban 14, Macallan 18 delwhinnie 15, and lagavulin 16. All three of those are great. Lagavulin is very very peaty, so I would not start with that one. Oban 14 is my best suggestion for you. As far as Johnny walker Red, it's the lowest line in Johnny Walker and a its a blend scotch, nothing wrong with that, but for a bourbon drinker your going to notice the cheap taste.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I really don't like the strong peaty taste that most scotches have, at least to me. I however am a fan of the Irish whiskeys. Bushmills green or black label.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I really don't like the strong peaty taste that most scotches have, at least to me. I however am a fan of the Irish whiskeys. Bushmills green or black label.

Not all scotch has as much smoke in the bottle, or even similar flavor profiles. Islay and Speyside (Island and Seaside) will have more flavor/smoke, Lowland in the middle & Highland (most of the Glen's) with the least. The older it is, the stronger the flavor... just like bourbon.

Johnny Walker isn't very good (in any color), nor are most of the other blended scotches. Famous Grouse is decent for a blend and easy on the wallet. Usually blended from the Highland malts that weren't selected for bottling as single malts. Black Grouse is similar but with the Islay/Speyside malts.

And as with bourbon, you can spend as much money as you want. Price won't necessarily reflect quality, but there is a general trend as with most liquors.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm a light drinker. Many years ago a buddy got me started on Chivas. I've tried others, but the distinct taste of Chivas always reminds me of him (he was killed at an early age) and some of the things we went through. I think J&B isn't bad, nor JW Black. I tried a 20 year old single-malt a couple of times and couldn't see what all the buzz is about.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    I like the Johnnie Walker (black and above), but I would prefer Macallan (12 +) anyday, its just more $$$. One that I recently tried that isn't too costly, but I think better than the JW black is Monkey Shoulder (made by Glenfiddich distillery); it has a little more spice to it than the JW black, but it is not very peaty. Laphroig is one that is much more peaty; I've had the 12 and still have a bottle of the 15yr; and I can honestly say being able to handle the peat takes some adjustment.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    When I first turned 21 (ahem) I thought Scotch whiskey would taste like butterscotch. I found out really quick I was very wrong. Never touched the stuff again. Rum with a splash of coke or Tequila with a twist of lime and I'm happy.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I like the Johnnie Walker (black and above), but I would prefer Macallan (12 +) anyday, its just more $$$. One that I recently tried that isn't too costly, but I think better than the JW black is Monkey Shoulder (made by Glenfiddich distillery); it has a little more spice to it than the JW black, but it is not very peaty. Laphroig is one that is much more peaty; I've had the 12 and still have a bottle of the 15yr; and I can honestly say being able to handle the peat takes some adjustment.

I will second the Monkey Shoulder. It's a blend a several different scotches, it's pretty smooth. Inexpensive in price but not cheap in taste.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I like Scotch. I have tried most of the main ones but never heard of Monkey Shoulder... must be newer. I stopped drinking a couple years ago when my doctor hollered at me.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    I like Scotch. I have tried most of the main ones but never heard of Monkey Shoulder... must be newer. I stopped drinking a couple years ago when my doctor hollered at me.

I am not sure how new it is, I found a bottle of it just a month or two ago. I like it pretty good so far, and it was reasonable $$ (IIRC about $28).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom