• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    This must be the season for door to door solicitors. Couple days ago about ten well dressed black adults descended on our subdivision. Wife answers the door and a lady tried to hand her scripture to read. Wife says "no thanks, our church is right down the street". Lady persists, wife says "sorry, no time for this" and closes door.

Last night, settling into a movie, door bell rings. It's a young man saying he wants to discuss financing his college education. I stopped him and said not interested and shut the door. So has it come to this? Kids soliciting strangers to finance their educations? Wife agrees we will put a "no solicitors" sign on door. Rant over.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I got a knock on the door once and a young man asked me to finance his college education. I reluctantly agreed and his Mom and I dropped him off at college last Saturday.

"Dad: he's there to pay for stuff"

Read into my personal experience what broader social implications you will.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I would of had the kid fill out a form with the terms of repayment notarized by a bank. This way if the kid failed to repay in a timely matter you could sue him. Make him regret his decision to try and con dumb people to pay for his school.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I find it entertaining when they stop by....If I see the LDS boys coming I will change into period early 19th century clothing and gear, grab my tomahawk and long rifle and wait for the door bell to ring...

When it does I jump outside with my Kentucky Rifle above my head and scream out "Did Joseph Smith send you??? Did he???? You all from New York???? Whar's them thar tablets he wuz readin'????? Are they still around???"

"Er...Uh...Yes Joseph Smith kind of sent me and no the tablets are not still around...."

It's a show stopper....The LDS boys love it and the wife thinks I'm nuts.....

geary1.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I find it entertaining when they stop by....If I see the LDS boys coming I will change into period early 19th century clothing and gear, grab my tomahawk and long rifle and wait for the door bell to ring...When it does I jump outside with my Kentucky Rifle above my head and scream out "Did Joseph Smith send you??? Did he???? You all from New York???? Whar's them thar tablets he wuz readin'????? Are they still around???"

geary1.jpg

Uh....the spouse is onto something yes...:):

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I find it entertaining when they stop by....If I see the LDS boys coming I will change into period early 19th century clothing and gear, grab my tomahawk and long rifle and wait for the door bell to ring...

When it does I jump outside with my Kentucky Rifle above my head and scream out "Did Joseph Smith send you??? Did he???? You all from New York???? Whar's them thar tablets he wuz readin'????? Are they still around???"

"Er...Uh...Yes Joseph Smith kind of sent me and no the tablets are not still around...."

geary1.jpg
    I like to ask if Maroni really is an alien.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I never get any Morons of JW's*. I think they've they're worried I'll convert them into Baptist.

I do love a good theological debate between God fearers.

* Mormons or JW's

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The last lady that came up to the door (and we get very few of them where we live) handed me some JW pamphlet. I smiled and told her thankyou. I guess there was something in my demeanor or something that indicated to her, I wasn't going to be interested. She said something like: "I'm guessing you've already found Jesus"...or something along those lines. I told her I had and we both wished each other a blessed day. I'd never had one "give up" that easy before. :)

On the other hand, a few days ago I got a call on my cell phone. I violated my rule about not answering an unknown phone number but I was expecting a call. The guy tried selling me something (I don't remember what it was now). When I told him I don't do business with cold calls like this, he got kind of....assertive. I then told him I certainly don't do business with people that argue with me. :laugh: (and then hung up).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Long long ago, when I was much younger I was working 3rds living at the folks place straight back from college. We'd had some coons and possums in the yard recently and our dog wasn't too keen on them. It was around 11am, I'm in deep REM at this point and the dog wakes me up. Thinking it was one of those I put on my jeans from the night before, grabbed my 1911 and got two feet out the bedroom and thought "shotgun might be easier to use on those damn things" so snatched up the mossberg, stuffed the 1911 in the waistband of my jeans and head to the front door. I'm fresh out of bed, hair a little longer than it should be and all askew, shirtless, wearing jeans and a pair of unlaced boots with a 1911 in the waistband and hte 500 in my hand as I opened the door to find a JW there, pamphlet in hand.

I was a little shocked, he was completely pale. All color drained from his face, turned and ran back to hte car and took off. I know that the folks didn't have any JW's stop by for a loooooong time after that.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I will answer the door with a barking dog, holding her back by the collar. She is loud enough that I can't hear the people and they back away from the door for some reason. I will then ask what road they came in on and ask if they seen the "no soliciting" sign. They say "no" and I close the door.

Top Bottom