Well it's official. I just cut the cable.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I cancelled my dish network satellite tv service last night. I'll be picking up an antenna this weekend. The only thing I will be paying for is Netflix.

I am excited :)

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Good for you! I have lived my life without the cable, and with $200 a month extra in my pocket. I will not pay for crap programs and commercials, I can get that for free. Cable/dish costs are insane for what you have to put up with.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I cut the cable almost 2 years ago. I do Netflix and Hulu on a Roku stick. You can also get the major networks on the Roku. Other than that, I have a dedicated laptop that is loaded with the Kodi program. I can watch the latest movies, live tv, and sports on it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You can make an antenna much cheaper than you can buy one. We've never had cable. We do have Netflix via an Amazon Fire box.

My husband is now hooked on watching You Tube (he doesn't use a computer so he only thinks that is on the tv....I'm not telling him otherwise) and found a bunch of videos on making your own antenna. He has made two or three of them now...the one he is using cost a total of $3 to make plus the cost of the cable to connect it to the TV. It works as well or better than the $100 one that is stuck on top of the pole out in the yard 50 foot up...that one is now, dead but the cheapo homemade one works as well as that one did new.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Best decision I've ever made. Don't miss cable at all and love the extra family time. I went out and bought an HDTV antenna for like $20 at Home Depot and it works good enough to watch local channels and Sunday football. I think with the antenna we've got around 20 channels?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Took a Raspberry Pi and built a KODI server on it...the Pi 3B has built in Wifi, and I have super cheap DSL...between the Kodi, Netflix, and Amazon...there is not much we can't see if we want to see it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You can make an antenna much cheaper than you can buy one. We've never had cable. We do have Netflix via an Amazon Fire box.

My husband is now hooked on watching You Tube (he doesn't use a computer so he only thinks that is on the tv....I'm not telling him otherwise) and found a bunch of videos on making your own antenna. He has made two or three of them now...the one he is using cost a total of $3 to make plus the cost of the cable to connect it to the TV. It works as well or better than the $100 one that is stuck on top of the pole out in the yard 50 foot up...that one is now, dead but the cheapo homemade one works as well as that one did new.

Made this for about $10 and it gets 3x more channels than the $100 antenna we bought at Best Buy.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That looks a lot like the one we have hanging here! Works great and gets more channels than the one we bought.

Top Bottom