• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That Frenchman needs help from his Hoosiers friends to cook a hot dog.

Can it be as simple as heating a sausage and placing it into a hot dog bum with some mustard? :dunno:

I found so many different recipes online I don't know which to follow. :faint:
    Some heat the bread as well, some add cheese etc.

Is there a Hoosier way to do it?

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    I know of two ways to cook a hot dog. Grill it over charcoal, or boil it. Grilled is vastly preferred. They like to burn quickly, so you can't even walk away, really. It's hard to mess up hot dogs, just roll them around and try to get them evenly cooked on all sides. They may get some black spots and that's okay. After the bun, what you put on it once they're done is a contentious matter and varies by region. The maximum amount of toppings typical in Indiana is ketchup, mustard, onions, and relish. Put whatever you like on it.

If you saw recipes, it was likely taking you into the realm of the Chili Dog. This is a whole other way to have a hot dog, really.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I know I do it. Over an open fire until it's got a few black spots on it. Add some ketchup, a little mustard and some pickle relish. Yum!! And then the second way is with a little chili on it with some shredded cheddar cheese.

:drool:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Even though it will fit, do NOt place it in the bum!

my perfect dog is grilled and placed onto a slightly toasted bun, then covered in shredded cheddar with ketchup and mustard. :drool:

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I throw it away and cook a Polish Sausage on the grill until its just hot enough and the casing is splitting. then mustard onions and horseradish on a bun.:):

otherwise if i had to cook a hotdog cut down the middle fried in a pan, mustard on a piece of bread.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Take a electrical cord, bare both ends of the wires. Shove one up each of the hot dogs ends, plug in for just a few. Cooks quite quickly, mind you.:):

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I like mine grilled so the outside is dark/ burnt. Minimum of some onion, maybe a little ketchup.
    Fried sounds good, been yrs since I've had one fried

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Grilled over lump charcoal or wood. Toasted bun with mustard, preferably the coarse grain variety.

A close second is to roast them in the oven in a cast iron skillet. Don't discount it until you have tried it, you may never boil a dog again.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Dr. Quinn says fry in a pat of butter, constantly moving them around until brown all over. Then add simmered onions from the same pan.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Dr. Quinn says fry in a pat of butter, constantly moving them around until brown all over. Then add simmered onions from the same pan.
    :yesway:

Mrs. Chez makes good pan fried hotdogs. Color is the key. That's what I love about the spiral cuts, more surface area for the maillard reaction!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :faint:

I thought some people did that.

They do, my kids included. Of course they eat ketchup on about everything.

And dont get the all beef hot dogs. Yuck. Get the pork and chicken ones. They are much tastier.

And if you are eating the worst of the worst cuts of meat processed and shoved in a casing, It really doesnt matter what kind of dry heat you are using. Whether its gas, charcoal or lump charcoal, you are still eating the lowest cut of meat so it really doesnt matter.

Top Bottom