• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I recently stumbled into a story about thousands of HMMWVs being released in operating condition (i.e. not fully de-milled).

The story mentioned GovPlanet.com

Each listing I viewed has a fairly thorough inspection report, lots of photos, and a video of the vehicle being started.

There are a dozen at Stout Field in Indianapolis with an auction start of this Wednesday, Nov. 9th. All have starting bids of $5,000 - $6,000.

I thought some here might have an interest.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

That was my initial reaction. Since that's all I can do at this point, I thought I'd share in the hope of living vicariously through a fellow INGO'er that has the cash for such a venture.

If someone here buys one, post your own pics (and come pick me up for your first off-roading session... for ballast ;) )

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yes, the fund, the room, not there.
    These guys have some vids on buying:
    [video=youtube;XjkUZoHvpuI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkUZoHvpuI[/video]

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I recently stumbled into a story about thousands of HMMWVs being released in operating condition (i.e. not fully de-milled).

The story mentioned GovPlanet.com

Each listing I viewed has a fairly thorough inspection report, lots of photos, and a video of the vehicle being started.

There are a dozen at Stout Field in Indianapolis with an auction start of this Wednesday, Nov. 9th. All have starting bids of $5,000 - $6,000.

I thought some here might have an interest.

For only half the price, $3,000 you can get this one.
    But it's in California and you better bring a trailer to get it back to Indiana.

634687_6002_159_0001.jpg

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    What do they do to them before they sell it to the general public?

Are they armored?

the details I read stated "no further de-militarization required".

as far as the eventual price, if you click on the "sold" tab, you'll see the prices they sold for. < 500 in the main tab, over 3,500 in the "sold" tab, if memory serves.

I don't believe any are armored. The ones I saw had the soft doors and tops.

If you are a non-Hoosier INGOer, there are locations with vehicles available in nearly every state. You can filter by state in the left margin of the page.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    the details I read stated "no further de-militarization required".

as far as the eventual price, if you click on the "sold" tab, you'll see the prices they sold for. < 500 in the main tab, over 3,500 in the "sold" tab, if memory serves.

I don't believe any are armored. The ones I saw had the soft doors and tops.

If you are a non-Hoosier INGOer, there are locations with vehicles available in nearly every state. You can filter by state in the left margin of the page.

I'm a non-American INGOer, they are all too far for me.
    I did spot one of those in my area though, a pick up version with soft doors.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    unfortunately you can't get armored hmmwvs but they're all the same base model. The deal now was no armor and off road use only. Mine was sold accidentally before the amgeneral injunction to stop .gov from selling them which is why it's a slant back with supplemental armored doors and windows and it has a title. People are getting them titled anyways by claiming they're home built vehicles and what not to get around the regulation.

You can buy armor for them all day long on eBay, g503, and steelsoldiers.
    http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=64&sid=a4797877b91938018e792b04601a4adf

Before hanging heavy armor you'll want to start with at least a turbo 6.5 and hopefully the 4 speed transmission but the 3 speed will work. If anyone buys one I'm willing to help out I've got tons of parts.

bonus info, insurance is practically nothing and I pay 50$ a year to register it as a historic military vehicle. With that you have to paint the serial number on the bumper and don't have to run a plate.

http://www.indianamvpa.org/Documents/Military Vehicle registration under IC 9-18-14_RBG extract.pdf

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:drool:

Sweet!

So it's not road legal if it's only for off road use? :dunno:

I saw one in France with a plate so I assume they are road legal here, not really practical for our narrow streets.
    I know the Belgium military bought some a few years ago and finally sold them because they were too large for European streets.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yep. The .gov wanted to sell them but they agreed to off road use only, no titles. They've sold a bunch and from all the "how to title your 'off road only' HMMWV" threads out there, many now have titles.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Just last Thursday I was returning home from Mobile, AL and while on the way to the airport we passed a pickup truck towing a trailer with a Humvee on it. I was surprised to see what certainly appeared to be a civilian with one since I was unaware they were available to the public, and now I know the rest of the story.

Top Bottom