• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Statistically speaking, I'm within a few months of being at the 50% mark of US male life expectancy. I figure that's midlife crisis time. Nothing furrin. No motorcycles until I retire and get out of the city. Then maybe I'll get an Indian. For now, I'm thinking sports car. Something that you can get in and out of without a lot of stress on the knees (ie, no C3 Corvettes, been there). Nothing furrin. Preferably under $20k. Nothing furrin. I'm thinking a stick shift. Nothing furrin.

Domestic preferred.

Options so far:
    2011+ Mustang (motors were upgraded in 2011 pretty dramatically)
    New body style Camaro. I've had 3 Camaros over the years when I was young, with the '97 Z28 with 6-speed stick being the newest and bestest.
    MAYBE an C5 Corvette. I've always liked 'Vettes. I had a C3 when I was a childish...sorry, childless soldier with no other bills to pay. I know the C5s are waaaay faster and more capable.
    Challenger, but it'd have to be a V8 and they are kinda pricey. Sweet road trip car, though.

I'm not sure how serious I am, but I have been looking at what insurance costs for various options. $40/mo for a 2000-ish Corvette. $70/mo for a 2014 V8 Mustang. You know, just in case.

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    I am a fan of the newer Mustangs outfitted with the Coyote 5.0 motor for sure. Easy to enter and exit and super fun to drive. Easy to mod as well. Personally, not a MOPAR fan as I've had a couple of their trucks with nothing but problems and currently drive a 2012 Charger for work that has been nothing but headaches for all my guys who drive them. Truly not a lot of quality and workmanship in the police models, but maybe the higher end Challengers are better.
    Do yourself a favor and look into what services and recalls have been done on your C5 and C6 Corvettes.. Many have had issues with the tops delaminating, shifters rendering the car immobile, harmonic balancers coming apart (causing wobble - $2000 repair), valve train in the 2001-2003 ZO6s and computer issues. Very nice cars, but if you purchase one that has any of these issues, it's big money to repair.

Last edited:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    My Son sold his 2005 Corvette a Month ago, $20,000. The guy came from West of Peoria Ill. To Ft Wayne to buy it. I've had older Vettes, but this was Way better than any of the old ones. Great on the highway & 29 mpg. I hated to see that car go, I had access.......

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Out of what you mentioned, Vette. That's what all the other old men do. You can then meet up with them at the golf courses and go out for tea.

Personally, I prefer not being like everyone else...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Out of what you mentioned, Vette. That's what all the other old men do. You can then meet up with them at the golf courses and go out for tea.

Personally, I prefer not being like everyone else...

I'm open to suggestions, those are just what I've considered so far. As a unruly yoot, I lusted after a Chevelle SS. A decent one is way out of my price range, though.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    1963galaxie500a.jpg

Here is my dream car, 1963 Ford Galaxy 500 Convertible.

As far as the OP's question, I would recommend the Mustang.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm open to suggestions, those are just what I've considered so far. As a unruly yoot, I lusted after a Chevelle SS. A decent one is way out of my price range, though.
    Oh they aren't that bad if you can settle for a clone. What kinda family will you be expecting to haul? Back seat room is seriously limited in most options.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You need a ZL1 Camaro. Just tell the wife it only cost $20K. It will be our little secret.

its way roomier than a Vette. :)

Top Bottom