• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The parent company of Chili's says it wants to make things right after a veteran had his free meal taken away on Veterans Day.

Ernest Walker posted a video to Facebook on Friday of a manager taking away his meal at a Chili's in the Dallas suburb of Cedar Hill. The Army vet writes that the meal was taken away after another diner raised questions about the uniform Walker was wearing. Walker says the manager took his meal even after he showed him his military ID and discharge papers.
    Chili's manager takes away vet's free meal on Veterans Day

The manager may be taking a step down, and working back at McDonald's.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    There was a thread on arf that discussed this. The vets over there found some holes in the guys story.

note: I am not a vet and have no idea. It was interesting to read though

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    As a vet, I say meh. I was overcharged at Tucanos the other day. I was supposed to get a free meal because I'm a veteran, instead they charged me $9 for my meal. I said nothing and paid it. I don't think it's right to complain about a gift.

"Walker's lawyer was set to met with the company Monday."

SERIOUSLY?!?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There was a thread on arf that discussed this. The vets over there found some holes in the guys story.

note: I am not a vet and have no idea. It was interesting to read though

I don't know what kind of holes they could possibly find. I imagine Stolen Valor guys probably aren't going to pull out a video and complain when they are busted. Apparently, this guy is going to meeting with the owners of the company. I can appreciate Chili's being swift to correct this issue.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As a vet, I say meh. I was overcharged at Tucanos the other day. I was supposed to get a free meal because I'm a veteran, instead they charged me $9 for my meal. I said nothing and paid it. I don't think it's right to complain about a gift.

You're a veteran? I'm not sure I believe that.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I don't know what kind of holes they could possibly find. I imagine Stolen Valor guys probably aren't going to pull out a video and complain when they are busted. Apparently, this guy is going to meeting with the owners of the company. I can appreciate Chili's being swift to correct this issue.

Shrugs

beats me. Just thought it was an interesting read. Personally I don't think it's worth $10 to make a scene and even create the appearance of disrespecting a bet on Veterans Day.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would rather give a free meal to a fake veteran than risk taking away a meal from a real veteran.

If it's a case of stolen valor that's on the guy's conscience that he got a free meal out of it.

That's just the honor system, if someone says he's a vet then he is to me, if he's lying he's just fooling himself and not me.

I wouldn't ask to see a military ID either but I guess that's the restaurant's policy to give free meals to vet.

:twocents:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I would rather give a free meal to a fake veteran than risk taking away a meal from a real veteran.

If it's a case of stolen valor that's on the guy's conscience that he got a free meal out of it.

That's just the honor system, if someone says he's a vet then he is to me, if he's lying he's just fooling himself and not me.

I wouldn't ask to see a military ID either but I guess that's the restaurant's policy to give free meals to vet.

:twocents:

That seems to be the smart way to do things.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    KellyinAvon, SMSgt (Retired), USAF. With that said...

So hipster Chili's manager is a subject matter expert on uniform wear and policies now, huh? Dallas News story has a pic of the guy. I don't know if this is what the guy was wearing in the restaurant since I wasn't there, but there is no US Army or rank insignia on those old ACUs. The hat is not a uniform item in the Army (Air Force wore ball caps with squadron colors and unit patches back in the day, mostly to **** off the Army but that's another thread).

Also there are times when you wear a hat indoors in uniform. When you're ARMED is one of them.

I was wearing one of my three USAF Retired hats at lunch Friday, that was good enough for the nice young man who waited on us. Only Blue-ID Mafia can wear the coveted "Retired" hat after all. Retired window clings and other bling are strictly controlled too after all. Either that or no one claims to be "retired" unless they are, age thing I guess.

Back to hipster Chili's manager who is no doubt checking out the paid-protestor gigs since he is UNEMPLOYED I'm sure. Real **** move. Dude had a DD 214, good enough for the VA.

Chili's removes Cedar Hill manager who took away man's free Veterans Day meal | Restaurants | Dallas News

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

"Walker's lawyer was set to met with the company Monday."

SERIOUSLY?!?

I was kind of surprised about the lawyer thing as well... Seems like a bit much, but maybe I'm missing something.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    KellyinAvon, SMSgt (Retired), USAF. With that said...

So hipster Chili's manager is a subject matter expert on uniform wear and policies now, huh? Dallas News story has a pic of the guy. I don't know if this is what the guy was wearing in the restaurant since I wasn't there, but there is no US Army or rank insignia on those old ACUs. The hat is not a uniform item in the Army (Air Force wore ball caps with squadron colors and unit patches back in the day, mostly to **** off the Army but that's another thread).

Also there are times when you wear a hat indoors in uniform. When you're ARMED is one of them.

I was wearing one of my three USAF Retired hats at lunch Friday, that was good enough for the nice young man who waited on us. Only Blue-ID Mafia can wear the coveted "Retired" hat after all. Retired window clings and other bling are strictly controlled too after all. Either that or no one claims to be "retired" unless they are, age thing I guess.

Back to hipster Chili's manager who is no doubt checking out the paid-protestor gigs since he is UNEMPLOYED I'm sure. Real **** move. Dude had a DD 214, good enough for the VA.

Chili's removes Cedar Hill manager who took away man's free Veterans Day meal | Restaurants | Dallas News
    Ah-ha! It was one those those Trump supporters that caused all the trouble.
    As Walker tells it, an elderly white man wearing a Donald Trump shirt approached him and said that he was in Germany and that blacks weren't allowed to serve there. Walker, who is black, says he was wearing his old Army uniform.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ah-ha! It was one those those Trump supporters that caused all the trouble.

Yeah I'm kind of wondering what that had to do with the price of tea in China. I read another story on this earlier where the old guy asked him if he was in the 24th and it was a trick question. 24th was a Mech Infantry Division if memory serves, the 25th ID (patch on the guy's hat and shoulder) is very distinctive, but I don't see it being a trick question. The "old white guy" might've been around pre-1948 when the military was segregated. "Old" is a bit subjective after all.

I've NEVER thrown something out in conversation to see if someone was full of **** or not. Oh, you were in Korea? Were you with the 33rd Fighter Wing or the 325th down at Kunsan? The 33rd and 325th Fighter Wings are both in Florida. Then again, if you go back far enough the wing at Kunsan ROK was flying out of Thailand during Vietnam and the 33 FW was in North Africa during WWII. Ya just never know...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah I'm kind of wondering what that had to do with the price of tea in China. I read another story on this earlier where the old guy asked him if he was in the 24th and it was a trick question. 24th was a Mech Infantry Division if memory serves, the 25th ID (patch on the guy's hat and shoulder) is very distinctive, but I don't see it being a trick question. The "old white guy" might've been around pre-1948 when the military was segregated. "Old" is a bit subjective after all.

I've NEVER thrown something out in conversation to see if someone was full of **** or not. Oh, you were in Korea? Were you with the 33rd Fighter Wing or the 325th down at Kunsan? The 33rd and 325th Fighter Wings are both in Florida. Then again, if you go back far enough the wing at Kunsan ROK was flying out of Thailand during Vietnam and the 33 FW was in North Africa during WWII. Ya just never know...

Well, while in most cases unjustified. If someone starts talking about black people not serving in the military in Germany, and they happen to be wearing Trump supporter stuff, one is going wonder. The Vet was clear to qualify that maybe that guy held an opinion he might not have otherwise had, if it hadn't been for the climate currently in the country. I think there's lots of truth behind that, on both sides.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Well, while in most cases unjustified. If someone starts talking about black people not serving in the military in Germany, and they happen to be wearing Trump supporter stuff, one is going wonder. The Vet was clear to qualify that maybe that guy held an opinion he might not have otherwise had, if it hadn't been for the climate currently in the country. I think there's lots of truth behind that, on both sides.
    Nah. If he's racist, he has been racist for a while. If you said the current climate had made him more likely to be overtly racist in public I would agree. Trump denounces the white power vote, but many in that camp still see him as a victory and it has emboldened them to an extent. I support Trump, but I won't sugar coat that aspect.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nah. If he's racist, he has been racist for a while. If you said the current climate had made him more likely to be overtly racist in public I would agree. Trump denounces the white power vote, but many in that camp still see him as a victory and it has emboldened them to an extent. I support Trump, but I won't sugar coat that aspect.

I don't think the guy was racist, per se, but rather had difficulty believing the vet, because he was Black. Lot's of people have pre-conceived notions that don't make them raging racists. But your post has plenty of truths in it. The biggest threat to Trump's presidency, will be the vocal minority of actual racist supporters, and how the majority of his sane supporters handle them. As referenced in other places, they are the silent majority, but silence won't do if they can't kept that, again, vocal minority, in check.

Top Bottom