• ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Setup:

Traded my old truck for a new truck yesterday at a large dealership. Dealer took the license plate off my old truck and put it on my new truck.

I was told the plate follows the seller, not the vehicle, and that I can transfer the plate when I register the new vehicle in a couple weeks. As long as I have the registration from my old truck showing the plate, I'm good if I were to be pulled over.

Is this legal & proper?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    While is it true that the plate follows the person and you can have your old plate registered to your new truck, I do believe they should have put a temp tag on.... That's the way I've always seen it done through a dealer.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IC 9-18-6-5
    Transfer of plates; violation
    Sec. 5. (a) Upon the disposition by sale or other means of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home currently registered in Indiana, the license plate from the disposed motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home may be
    (1) transferred by the person who is the current registrant to any other vehicle of the same type acquired by the person; and
    (2) operated in Indiana for not more than thirty-one (31) days after the date the person acquires ownership of the vehicle.
    (b) The person who is the registrant must have in the person's possession a:
    (1) manufacturer's certificate of origin
    ;(2) duly assigned certificate of title; or
    (3) bill of sale;indicating that the person is the owner of the vehicle to which the unexpired license plates are affixed.

(c) A person who operates a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer,recreational vehicle, or motor home in violation of subsection (b)

commits a Class C infraction
    Important part in bold.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    SOP when you trade a car. If you don't trade they will put on a paper plate, but if you have tags, just keep your old registration in the car with you're new car paperwork until you register you new car. Happened when I bought my new VW and traded in, also with my wife's Honda when she traded in.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just got a $175 ticket for having our old plate on our new car.

Cop says dealer shouldn't have done it, breaks Indiana law, and they should have issued a paper temp plate.

So... your mileage may vary.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Cop says dealer shouldn't have done it, breaks Indiana law, and they should have issued a paper temp plate.

Sounds like a trip to traffic court is in order.

It does amaze me how fast and loose State employees are with vehicle codes. Went to title/register the latest Jeep project. Since it was from out of state, it needed a VIN check. Nice lady at the BMV asked if it was in the parking lot, and they could check the VIN right now. Uh.... It has no plates, no registration, and does not have a valid title. No, I did NOT drive it to the BMV.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would insist on a paper plate to avoid getting pulled over.

Sounds like a trip to traffic court is in order.

It does amaze me how fast and loose State employees are with vehicle codes. Went to title/register the latest Jeep project. Since it was from out of state, it needed a VIN check. Nice lady at the BMV asked if it was in the parking lot, and they could check the VIN right now. Uh.... It has no plates, no registration, and does not have a valid title. No, I did NOT drive it to the BMV.

I built a trailer and had to stamp numbers in the frame, and the sheriff came out to sign off on it so I could get a title.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute

I would be talking to the dealership about this. Perhaps they would call PD in your behalf.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Given the IC above, either the LEO was wrong (which NEVAR happens) or the IC was revised?
    Good call. Looks like 9-18 is now "expired".
    Indiana Code 2018 - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

There is now a new code. Some change in wording, and the duration is longer (45 vs. 30 days), but very similar.

[FONT=&amp]IC 9-18.1-2-8 Newly acquired vehicle; exception
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Sec. 8. A person that acquires a vehicle may operate the vehicle on a highway without registering the vehicle under this article under the following conditions:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) For the length of a temporary permit issued under the following:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) IC 9-18-7-1 (before its expiration on December 31, 2016).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) IC 9-18-7-4 (before its expiration on December 31, 2016).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](C) IC 9-18.1-12-2.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](D) IC 9-18.1-12-3.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) For not more than forty-five (45) days after the date on which the person acquires the vehicle, if the person displays on the newly acquired vehicle a valid and unexpired license plate transferred from another vehicle that the person disposes of by sale or other means. While operating the newly acquired vehicle, the person must have in the person's possession a:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) manufacturer's certificate of origin;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) certificate of title; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](C) bill of sale;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]indicating that the person owns the vehicle to which the unexpired license plates are affixed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp](3) For not more than forty-five (45) days after the date on which the person acquires the vehicle from a dealer licensed under IC 9-32, if the person displays on the newly acquired vehicle a valid and unexpired interim plate issued under IC 9-32-6-11.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](4) If the person acquires the vehicle from a person other than a dealer licensed under IC 9-32, for:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) not more than seventy-two (72) hours after the date of acquisition; and[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) the sole purpose of transporting the vehicle by the most direct route from the place of acquisition to:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](i) a place of storage, including the person's residence or place of business;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](ii) an inspection station for purposes of emissions testing under IC 13-17-5-5.1(b); or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](iii) a license branch or a location operated by a full service provider (as defined in IC 9-14.1-1-2) or a partial services provider (as defined in IC 9-14.1-1-3) to register the vehicle under this article.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]While operating the vehicle, the person must have in the person's possession a certificate of title indicating that the person owns the vehicle.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][Pre-2016 Revision Citations: subdivision (2) formerly 9-18-6-5; subdivision (3) formerly 9-18-6-4; subdivision (4) formerly 9-18-7-2.][/FONT]
    As added by P.L.198-2016, SEC.326.

If I am reading this correctly, you absolutely may use the license plate from the previously-owned vehicle as a TEMPORARY plate on the new vehicle, as long as other conditions are met (not expired, you have title or bill-of-sale, and only for 45 days from acquisition).

A dealer MAY give you a temp plate as well, but once again, it does not seem to be required.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Hint: temp tags cost money.

On a completely unrelated but hilarious note, Ohio temp tags have developed a disconcerting habit of sun fading completely blank in about two weeks. This has resulted in much comedy between dealerships, customers, and the gendarmerie....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Setup:

Traded my old truck for a new truck yesterday at a large dealership. Dealer took the license plate off my old truck and put it on my new truck.

I was told the plate follows the seller, not the vehicle, and that I can transfer the plate when I register the new vehicle in a couple weeks. As long as I have the registration from my old truck showing the plate, I'm good if I were to be pulled over.

Is this legal & proper?

Yes. This isn't the UK.

If you are inside the time limit, the cop was wrong.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    While is it true that the plate follows the person and you can have your old plate registered to your new truck, I do believe they should have put a temp tag on.... That's the way I've always seen it done through a dealer.

As others have said:
    -cop was wrong.
    -temp plates are only given when getting a NEW plate because you wouldn't have ANY plate otherwise.
    -You can absolutely transfer plates between vehicles you own (as long as the plate ownership matches the vehicle type and ownership IE you + spouse vs you only and truck plate vs car.)

Funny story about truck vs car, I have two Subaru Bajas... one plated as a car, one as a truck. when I got the newer one, the BMV gal asked what kind of body type it was, I told her, and she asked me which I wanted.

If you own the plate and pay for renewal, the plates still good till the date on the sticker. If you get a new plate (to get a temp plate), the remainder is wasted. just throw that cash, along with the plate, down the garbage disposal.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Now you get to either go to court to plead your and show you are in the right or you can pay the tribute and move on your way.

Either way, the cost is upon you (be it opportunity cost or cash).

The cop that screwed up? No penalty.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You may transfer the plate from your old vehicle to the new one, so long as you no longer own the old vehicle.

So you trade in your truck, put the tag on the new one. That acts as a temp tag until you get the registration for the new truck.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Yeah, he was totally wrong on that. That is well within the law. I'd be fighting that. It'll get dismissed.

Top Bottom