Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

New car and old license plate?

Setup:

Traded my old truck for a new truck yesterday at a large dealership. Dealer took the license plate off my old truck and put it on my new truck.

I was told the plate follows the seller, not the vehicle, and that I can transfer the plate when I register the new vehicle in a couple weeks. As long as I have the registration from my old truck showing the plate, I'm good if I were to be pulled over.

Is this legal & proper?
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

User Info Menu

While is it true that the plate follows the person and you can have your old plate registered to your new truck, I do believe they should have put a temp tag on.... That's the way I've always seen it done through a dealer.

User Info Menu

IC 9-18-6-5
    Transfer of plates; violation
    Sec. 5. (a) Upon the disposition by sale or other means of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home currently registered in Indiana, the license plate from the disposed motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home may be
    (1) transferred by the person who is the current registrant to any other vehicle of the same type acquired by the person; and
    (2) operated in Indiana for not more than thirty-one (31) days after the date the person acquires ownership of the vehicle.
    (b) The person who is the registrant must have in the person's possession a:
    (1) manufacturer's certificate of origin
    ;(2) duly assigned certificate of title; or
    (3) bill of sale;indicating that the person is the owner of the vehicle to which the unexpired license plates are affixed.

(c) A person who operates a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer,recreational vehicle, or motor home in violation of subsection (b)

commits a Class C infraction
    Important part in bold.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

SOP when you trade a car. If you don't trade they will put on a paper plate, but if you have tags, just keep your old registration in the car with you're new car paperwork until you register you new car. Happened when I bought my new VW and traded in, also with my wife's Honda when she traded in.

User Info Menu

You're good to go.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

User Info Menu

Just got a $175 ticket for having our old plate on our new car.

Cop says dealer shouldn't have done it, breaks Indiana law, and they should have issued a paper temp plate.

So... your mileage may vary.
    Let that be my contrarian reply...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post

Cop says dealer shouldn't have done it, breaks Indiana law, and they should have issued a paper temp plate.

Sounds like a trip to traffic court is in order.

It does amaze me how fast and loose State employees are with vehicle codes. Went to title/register the latest Jeep project. Since it was from out of state, it needed a VIN check. Nice lady at the BMV asked if it was in the parking lot, and they could check the VIN right now. Uh.... It has no plates, no registration, and does not have a valid title. No, I did NOT drive it to the BMV.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

Given the IC above, either the LEO was wrong (which NEVAR happens) or the IC was revised?
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

User Info Menu

I would insist on a paper plate to avoid getting pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Sounds like a trip to traffic court is in order.

It does amaze me how fast and loose State employees are with vehicle codes. Went to title/register the latest Jeep project. Since it was from out of state, it needed a VIN check. Nice lady at the BMV asked if it was in the parking lot, and they could check the VIN right now. Uh.... It has no plates, no registration, and does not have a valid title. No, I did NOT drive it to the BMV.
    I built a trailer and had to stamp numbers in the frame, and the sheriff came out to sign off on it so I could get a title.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post

I would be talking to the dealership about this. Perhaps they would call PD in your behalf.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast