• ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    My personal all-time favorite Founders quote is this one:

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House on
    August 1, 1776.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    My second favorite isn`t a quote, exactly, but is within the text of the Declaration of Independence, and states:

"— That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    THOMAS JEFFERSON

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

NOVEMBER 13 1787

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin

Not from the founding fathers but one of my favorites:

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government powerful enough to take everything you have."

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    "Not everything you read on the Internet is true." Abraham Lincoln

Not really a founder, but his philosophy and works were quite influential at the time:

Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated

Excerpted from "American Crisis" by Thomas Paine

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    "Not everything you read on the Internet is true." Abraham Lincoln

Not really a founder, but his philosophy and works were quite influential at the time:

Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated

Excsrpted from "American Crisis" by Thomas Paine

Outstanding!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    One of my fav is JFK .....

Ask NOT, what your Country, can do for you,

Ask, what You CAN DO, for your Country .....

My, My, how things have changed, in 53 years .....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One of my fav is JFK .....

Ask NOT, what your Country, can do for you,

Ask, what You CAN DO, for your Country .....

My, My, how things have changed, in 53 years .....

Was at my parent's house yesterday, and a show was talking about him. They were going over the inauguration, and I was struck by how he was trying to unify the country.
    Don't think the Democrats would let him in the party today.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Was at my parent's house yesterday, and a show was talking about him. They were going over the inauguration, and I was struck by how he was trying to unify the country.
    Don't think the Democrats would let him in the party today.

THAT is for sure.....

a lot of people don't know, that he was a Life Member, of the NRA .....

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    "Freedom can exist only in the society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal."
    -Benjamin Rush

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    "By removing the Bible from schools we would be wasting so much time and money in punishing criminals and so little pains to prevent crime. Take the Bible out of our schools and there would be an explosion in crime."
    -Benjamin Rush

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is a instrument for the people to restrain the government..."
    - Patrick Henry

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    "It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth - and listen to the song of that syren, till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it might cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it."

~ Patrick Henry

(speech in the Virginia Convention — 1775)

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

John Adams

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams.

Top Bottom