• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Carrie Fisher's heart attack is a BIG reminder to us all.
    She's about 6 months younger than I am, and I barely missed this same thing happening to me a little over a year ago.

If with even hard exercise you feel ANY degree of tightness in your chest, DON'T attribute it to being out of shape.
    Tell you doctor and get checked out.

In October of '15 getting a checkup saved my life and any damage to my heart because I told my doctor.

Had a 99% blockage and was on the verge of dropping over dead.
    But instead of dying, I had emergency quadruple bypass surgery and saved my heart.

I'm back to being able to do hard exercise with no sign of heart problems.

My cardiologist told me that MANY people are walking around with heart trouble and never know it until they suddenly drop over dead.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't count on age as a sure fire solution to heart disease. I have been in this fight for 5 years.

A typical diet is problematic to cardiovascular health. Adding heavy drinking, tobacco, and other things compounds the problem. Avoiding that is not a guarantee either.

Genetics is a factor that will not be overcome. Stress is a bigger factor than even the Cardiologists understand. Motivated partially by the desire for excellence in competition as well as wanting quality of life as long as possible, I lived clean and ate clean. I ran 5K's. I bicycled. I jogged 4.5 miles two and three times a week. I lifted weights, focused on flexibility and balance, not power lifting bulk. I never had high blood pressure. My cholesterol was 119 the day of my first heart attack.( without ever taking cholesterol meds) That would be outstanding for a College athlete. My weight was within 5 lbs of what the charts say was optimal.

I had 100% blockage in the left anterior descending artery, called the widowmaker. I am told I was within minutes of death then they got me to surgery. I have been fighting for life ever since. I have been in the ICU three times since September alone. I am scheduled for another heart cath right after Christmas.

Properly dealing with stress certainly helps, but genetics cannot be overcome. One common denominator we all share is that we will die, and for most it is sooner than wanted. This life is temporary, it is best to plan accordingly.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't count on age as a sure fire solution to heart disease. I have been in this fight for 5 years.

A typical diet is problematic to cardiovascular health. Adding heavy drinking, tobacco, and other things compounds the problem. Avoiding that is not a guarantee either.

Genetics is a factor that will not be overcome. Stress is a bigger factor than even the Cardiologists understand. Motivated partially by the desire for excellence in competition as well as wanting quality of life as long as possible, I lived clean and ate clean. I ran 5K's. I bicycled. I jogged 4.5 miles two and three times a week. I lifted weights, focused on flexibility and balance, not power lifting bulk. I never had high blood pressure. My cholesterol was 119 the day of my first heart attack.( without ever taking cholesterol meds) That would be outstanding for a College athlete. My weight was within 5 lbs of what the charts say was optimal.

I had 100% blockage in the left anterior descending artery, called the widowmaker. I am told I was within minutes of death then they got me to surgery. I have been fighting for life ever since. I have been in the ICU three times since September alone. I am scheduled for another heart cath right after Christmas.

Properly dealing with stress certainly helps, but genetics cannot be overcome. One common denominator we all share is that we will die, and for most it is sooner than wanted. This life is temporary, it is best to plan accordingly.

See? That stuff will kill ya! My motto is, "No pain... no pain." ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Carrie Fisher's heart attack is a BIG reminder to us all.
    She's about 6 months younger than I am, and I barely missed this same thing happening to me a little over a year ago.

If with even hard exercise you feel ANY degree of tightness in your chest, DON'T attribute it to being out of shape.
    Tell you doctor and get checked out.

In October of '15 getting a checkup saved my life and any damage to my heart because I told my doctor.

Had a 99% blockage and was on the verge of dropping over dead.
    But instead of dying, I had emergency quadruple bypass surgery and saved my heart.

I'm back to being able to do hard exercise with no sign of heart problems.

My cardiologist told me that MANY people are walking around with heart trouble and never know it until they suddenly drop over dead.

You scared me pretty good when this happened my friend.
    I was at the Hospital on the death watch with my MIL from a heart attack and you got checked into the same place.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Some people see life as full of pain and sorrow, with a new Sisyphean task added daily.

Others see it as an amusement park.

I'll take Carrie's path any day.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You scared me pretty good when this happened my friend.
    I was at the Hospital on the death watch with my MIL from a heart attack and you got checked into the same place.

Yes, it was pretty scary.
    It was the first time I've ever credibly faced my own death.
    I still remember laying on the gurney waiting to be rolled into surgery and thinking if I don't wake up where will I go?
    Never prayed so much in my life, but by the time they rolled me into the operating room I wasn't scared anymore.

I'm sure that dealing with your MIL's situation was every bit as hard for you.

Top Bottom