• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I am currently battling stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I first got sick at the beginning of November but didn't think anything of it. I got sick a second time in November and was down for 5 days. Still didn't think anything of it. I was on vacation pretty much the entire month of November as well. On Dec 2 before work I really got sick and had to call in. My parents came over to my house later that evening and they brought a thermometer with them (I didn't have one at the time). I was running a fever of a 103.5. I took some tylenol and broke the fever within a half hour. The fever returned within 12 hours. I continued to take tylenol and the fevers kept returning. Went to the Dr Monday morning (Dec 5) and was sent to the hospital the next day for test. That was when they gave me the news that it might be cancer. They referred me to an oncologist in Terre Haute at Union and I went up the next day for an appt. After lots of blood draws and tests the Dr asked how soon I wanted to get started to make sure this is what was actually happening. I told him as soon as possible and I was admitted to Union that evening (Dec 7). I went through a minor surgery to have part of a lymphnode removed to see what kind of cancer it was. This turned out to be a week long waiting game as the pathologist at Union couldn't determine what it was and it had to be sent off to Indy. Finally they made the call on the Hodgkins. A ct scan done at Greene co hospital revealed a swollen spleen with a mass next to it. When the Dr decided that chemo was the best route they would just let the chemo take care of the mass rather than go in and remove the spleen and mass. The swollen spleen was causing all my fevers as well. Got released and some time passed and had a follow up a week later. They drew blood and that evening at 930pm the Dr called me and said that I was jaundiced and needed to be readmitted to the hospital for treatment. What happened was the cancer moved over to my liver and blocked the bile from leaving my body. This all happened on Dec 21 and was admitted the morning of the 22. That evening I got my first round of chemo. It took a little over 3 hours to administer all of it and at the end I was shaking like a leaf. It was late and I was half asleep. The next morning we asked the Dr what the shaking was and he said it was the chemo killing cancer cells. I pretty much slept all day on the 23 and started to feel better on the 24. What happened was the cancer was not near my liver anymore and my spleen had shrunk back to its normal size. When this happened the fevers stopped. Haven't had one since. I ended up getting 2 units of blood on Christmas day and was finally released later that evening around 6pm. Round 2 of chemo will take place Thursday morning. Interested to see how it will go considering the first round was actually not bad. That's pretty much it as of now. The Dr did say I will probably lose my hair and quite frankly if I'm going to I just want it to go ahead and fall out and be done with it. If it was warmer outside I would just go ahead and shave it but I'll hang onto it for as long as possible due to the cold weather. I'll get chemo once every 2 weeks until June. I will say that I have my appetite back and am eating well. I've lost more weight than I care for at the time being but it's to be expected.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I asked my wife (oncology nurse) about this and she says you should be fine. Just follow instructions. I went through the chemo and radiation for throat cancer 3 years ago so I know a little about the treatments. I have some after affects from the treatments and just consider it the new normal now. Keep a good outlook and do what they tell you. :)

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    God bless you richly. Hang on, be strong, and if you haven`t already, cry out to God, and ask Him, through His Son, Jesus Christ, to come into your heart, and be your Lord and Savior.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Spainy I wish you the best. The prognosis for this disease seems pretty good, at least as good as anything cancer related can be. Keep a positive attitude. :thumbsup:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just want to share that I am a stage 4 "non-Hodgkin survivor.
    There is hope and I am proof.
    Stay positive no matter what. Prayers and positive thoughts out going.
    Feel free to PM me if you wish.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Yeah, my oncologist told me this is a 90% success rate type of cancer. I'm just worried about the chemo. I hate vomiting with a passion. The Dr did tell me that my treatments would be on the lighter side so hopefully there's no vomiting involved. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I asked my wife (oncology nurse) about this and she says you should be fine. Just follow instructions. I went through the chemo and radiation for throat cancer 3 years ago so I know a little about the treatments. I have some after affects from the treatments and just consider it the new normal now. Keep a good outlook and do what they tell you. :)

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Today also marks that I've been smoke free for 4 weeks and quit cold turkey after being diagnosed. Nothing like a big medical issue to get you to quit. Sad part is that I still want one. Smoked for 21 years and started at the age of 16.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Today also marks that I've been smoke free for 4 weeks and quit cold turkey after being diagnosed. Nothing like a big medical issue to get you to quit. Sad part is that I still want one. Smoked for 21 years and started at the age of 16.

Sounds like my story except I quit over 10 years ago. Whenever I am around others that are smoking I still want one too. Keep it up, it will get better.

Top Bottom