Does anyone else simply ignore "What's your bottom dollar?" PMs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Not from a current incident, but every time I sell something, I get so annoyed with replies like "What's your bottom dollar? Cash in hand." After trying to deal fairly with this breed of folk, I never end up selling to them and waste my time. Many years ago, I began simply not responding. Do they still lurk? Show yourselves...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. I don't know the ratio of completing a sale to people asking that question, but I bet it isn't very large.

My normal response at gun shows or elsewhere is: 1) I don't counter my own offer, and 2) if you have a price in mind, let's hear it.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Just reply the bottom dollar is what's posted in the ad. Or just post this disclaimer in the ad itself. Save you from getting non-serious replies.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Are you putting $xxx FIRM? If not, I'm going to ask what's your bottom dollar. I'm going to assume there's some wiggle room, and it never hurts to ask. If you say there's no wiggle room, I'm probably going to buy it anyway (just did the same thing a week ago. I asked, he said no, I paid his asking). If you choose to ignore, I'll move onto the next one.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Are you putting $xxx FIRM? If not, I'm going to ask what's your bottom dollar. I'm going to assume there's some wiggle room, and it never hurts to ask. If you say there's no wiggle room, I'm probably going to buy it anyway (just did the same thing a week ago. I asked, he said no, I paid his asking). If you choose to ignore, I'll move onto the next one.
    Yep.

Ive had some jerks try to haggle with me at the meetup. Now THAT does **** me off.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

This!! If you are firm on your price say so. I have asked many sellers on INGO and elsewhere if there is negotiation room. Especially if the price seems a bit higher then I'd pay.

Put *firm* in the add, then ignore. Or you are going to get offers.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    By the time of meet up, the price should be determined through PM's, at least that is how I do it. Then at meet up time, you're both on the same page. You are going to get X item, for Y price.
    It does irritate me too, when at meet up, they try to hit you for even a lower price. It has never happened to me here on INGO, but has with craigslist.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    By the time of meet up, the price should be determined through PM's, at least that is how I do it. Then at meet up time, you're both on the same page. You are going to get X item, for Y price.
    It does irritate me too, when at meet up, they try to hit you for even a lower price. It has never happened to me here on INGO, but has with craigslist.
    its happened to me at least twice on here that I remember.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If someone asked me what was my bottom dollar, I'd ask them what's your best offer. If they threw out a number I'd go from there. Can't blame anyone for trying to get the best deal.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

I agree with haggling, but as a seller I want to hear your offer.

as noted, I'm not going to counter my own offer.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I agree with Rookie
    You will never get what you don't ask for. I always ask if they are firm on price or just make a lower priced offer. Its all about presentation. If its done with class and respect, I don't see any harm.

Yep.

Ive had some jerks try to haggle with me at the meetup. Now THAT does **** me off.

That would send my blood boiling too! I would put an end to the deal right there on the spot.
    A classless act like that from a buyer would cause me to post feedback on him or her so nobody else gets jerked around by the tool.

Iv'e never had it happen to me on INGO but did once on Craigslist.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If someone asked me what was my bottom dollar, I'd ask them what's your best offer. If they threw out a number I'd go from there. Can't blame anyone for trying to get the best deal.

Exactly. Not at the meet up and no low ballers with 50 posts and 6 years on the forum. Those guys get this in response...:rofl:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't think some people understand the theory of negotiating. You don't ask the other side to tell you how low they will go right from the start. Make an offer if you're interested.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    If asked "What's your bottom dollar?", I often reply, "Make me an offer and we'll see".

When a person asks for your lowest price, they have no skin in the game. It's going to cost you something to find out my lowest cost.

In any transaction, it's my goal to see if we can find a price where both buyer and seller are comfortable with the deal. It's not always possible, but that's what I try for.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Only happened to me once here, after I'd agreed to drive an hour further than I had posted I would. He claimed the gun was dirty (I'd cleaned it before the meeting) and so tried to get me to knock 10% off then didn't honor his commitment to buy when I refused. Ironically enough a couple years later he contacted me about another gun and I replied that he was in my "won't do business list."

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't think some people understand the theory of negotiating. You don't ask the other side to tell you how low they will go right from the start. Make an offer if you're interested.

Personally, I hate negotiating. If you have something I'm interested in, I'll ask your best price. If it's close to what I think it's worth, I'll buy it. If not, I'll move on. Yes, I could probably get it cheaper by haggling, but it's just not in my nature.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is an old saying in sales; "He who mentions price first, loses."

I want the buyer to make me an offer. If they don't have enough Chutzpah to make offers, what are they doing owning firearms?:) Just kidding, but really, if you are happy with the listed price, pay it and move on. If you really are interested in the item but the price is a little outside what you had in mind, make an offer.

Also, I would never list a price as firm. You automatically eliminate the buyers who don't want to negotiate. Sales is a numbers game, why restrict your customer pool by saying the price is firm.

You can be firm on the price, but don't say it. Just say; "I appreciate the interest, but my price is "x".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Unless the ad says FIRM, I'll usually offer a little less than asking. If they say no, and I think their asking price is fair, I'll go ahead and pay, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. I don't make a ridiculous lowball offer though.

Top Bottom