• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    With Windows 10 installed, if you use their product support page BIOS file to update your BIOS it will brick your computer to such a degree that it must be sent to the tech center in Louisville. The phone tech rep says this is a known and continuing issue. BTW, they pick up all costs to make it right. A rush 4 - 5 day turnaround is assigned to the case/order #. YMMV

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I have a brand new Envy, non touch screen. Updated through the HP support, and noticed my fans were constantly running on nitrous. Opened up task manager and there was an HP Support program running and eating up over half of my quad core CPU! I had to uninstall it and now everything is fine. So that's just another heads up I guess.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have a brand new Envy, non touch screen. Updated through the HP support, and noticed my fans were constantly running on nitrous. Opened up task manager and there was an HP Support program running and eating up over half of my quad core CPU! I had to uninstall it and now everything is fine. So that's just another heads up I guess.
    Yeah, I've had HPs for years and had mixed results with that HP Support Program. Sometimes it does really well at catching important updates and stuff, but sometimes its a PITA.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The whole friggin industry has tanked in my opinion. From Microsoft down through the PC manufacturers.

I never had problem one, at least that I couldn't resolve myself, with XP. Windows 8.0 and on up has turned out amazingly unstable with the apparent industry acceptable ultimate resolution always being a reset or a full restore and then having to task with reloading and restoring from backups to where I originally had it.

I know one thing, tech reps have gone from being well paid educated IT professionals to these monkeys reading down through "if this, then this" descending troubleshooting charts.

If I sound bitter it is because I am using an old $350.00 Best Buy Compaq right now and my blood pressure is elevated just a tad.

RandyMarlar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Zionsville
    Bought a 17in Envy on Dec 23 on sale at Costco. Used it for three weeks. Longest time that it ever lasted on battery power was 1hr 45min. Thank you Costco for your return policy. Switched to an Acer F-15. Runs all day on one charge. Unfortunately it is only 15in. I think I can adjust...
    Randy :patriot:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My Envy isn't part of the recall, so that's good. Now I just need to remember not to update the BIOS. :)

Top Bottom