• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I only allow myself to buy it once a year or so, something tells me it probably isn't the healthiest food around but boy do I enjoy it when I do. It takes me back to my childhood when I's spend weeks at a time at my Grandparent's house at Prince's Lakes, fishing and catching turtles, bullfrogs, lizards and snakes from the crack of dawn until it got dark. A few slices of braunschweiger on Wonder bread and mustard and a few thin slices of Longhorn Colby on the side. What I wouldn't give for just one more week back there again.

I usually skip the bread when I have it now but that doesn't seem to take away from the experience. Anyone else have food memories they like to revisit on occasion?

7BE18184-B55A-4296-8113-7CB6BEC0E5FD_zpswfttrccs.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Braunschweiger is yucky!

I like some mush every now and again, reminds me of being about 6 eating it on Sunday mornings with my Dad before he passed when I was 8.
    Canadian bacon reminds me of being about 12 and my StepDad making it for supper.

Every now and again a sound or smell will take me back to my preteen years in the 70's. I know we were poor then, but God I have some good memories

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I only allow myself to buy it once a year or so, something tells me it probably isn't the healthiest food around but boy do I enjoy it when I do. It takes me back to my childhood when I's spend weeks at a time at my Grandparent's house at Prince's Lakes, fishing and catching turtles, bullfrogs, lizards and snakes from the crack of dawn until it got dark. A few slices of braunschweiger on Wonder bread and mustard and a few thin slices of Longhorn Colby on the side. What I wouldn't give for just one more week back there again.

I usually skip the bread when I have it now but that doesn't seem to take away from the experience. Anyone else have food memories they like to revisit on occasion?

we always had it at home growing up; white bread with mayo and American cheese. Dang it, will need to stop by the deli this weekend.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Must be a Dad thing. I too have fond memories of eating braunschweiger sandwiches in Dads bass boat. I was always grossed out thinking of the fish guts and worm slime on my hands as I ate those sandwiches. Kept me from thinking just exactly what is braunschweiger... maybe I should look it up.

Nah, I'll keep that one as a good memory.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Finally got my hands on some patte the other day. Amazing.

Anyway, coincidentally, I was just talking to a friend of mine how oatmeal cream pies were a staple of fishing trips as a kid. Pringles and coke were in the car on hunting trips. On cold mornings, mom would send us off with her version of a sausage egg mcmuffin, wrapped up in foil. Man were those good. Mom is a good cook, but I especially loved the times we sat down to ham n beans with cornbread and fried potatoes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Must be a Dad thing. I too have fond memories of eating braunschweiger sandwiches in Dads bass boat. I was always grossed out thinking of the fish guts and worm slime on my hands as I ate those sandwiches. Kept me from thinking just exactly what is braunschweiger... maybe I should look it up.

Nah, I'll keep that one as a good memory.

I must have ingested several pounds of worm guts and dirt as a kid. If Grandma wasn't fast enough, I'd be in the door and shoveling food in my mouth before she had a chance to tell me to wash my hands. Seems like she caught on after awhile and stopped calling me before she had finished setting the table and started waiting until everything was done and she could nab me at the threshold lol. Always reminded me to wash behind my ears at bath time too. God those were good times.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Now I know what after work snack I'm going to have tonight.
    I have a new tube waiting in the fridge, I need to get a block of cheese.

My dogs love braunschweiger night.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Same here Phylodog. Get it a couple times a year and brings back great memories with my grandparents. Braunschweiger on Ritz crackers.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I don't know how I missed it as a kid. My family was big into blood sausage, tongues, hearts, headcheese, all that good stuff.

I didn't get my first taste of braunschweiger until my late 20's. Guy at work shared some with me and I was hooked. Bought a tube on the way home that night. My kids loved it. My wife, whose idea of adventurous eating is a hot dog, said, I LOVE braunschweiger. My grandma used to make me braunschweiger sandwiches. Our fridge is rarely without it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Braunschweiger fan here too growing up. Hardly ever eat it much anymore though. I think it was more prevalent back in the days of my youth.

Top Bottom