• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I retired in 2007 so I couldn't transfer. 3 years of college with Post 9/11 GI Bill, I used all but 3 days of it :rockwoot:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I used 2 yrs of it. I also was one of the one's f'ed over by the VA because I was one of the first to sign up when it let you and didn't get a payment for school till around Nov. I ended up owing the VA back as the emergency loan they misstated which would come off your total benefits was a lie. I have money and time left. But I'm sure I will do 30 yrs with the railroad, so not sure I need another degree. I may get my CDL for work with it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We have 560-something students who are using their parent's benefits. This is going to really hurt them. I'm trying to find out why this was done and the only unofficial answer I'm getting is to save money.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Republican sponsored, no less. Somebody better call Trump, and have him threaten a few people to get this fixed.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Converted mine to post 9/11, paid for my MBA.

Specifically because this kind of crap always happens. A promise from the government is only as good as the current Congress. Which is to say, possibly worthless at any given time.

It's also why I don't think "giving up my retirement" by taking VSP was such a harship.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Converted mine to post 9/11, paid for my MBA.

Specifically because this kind of crap always happens. A promise from the government is only as good as the current Congress. Which is to say, possibly worthless at any given time.

It's also why I don't think "giving up my retirement" by taking VSP was such a harship.

This. It ALWAYS changes.
    I came in during VEAP 2. Which of course was a successor to VEAP. Which was a successor to various programs going back to the first GI bill.
    But shortly after I went in, it was succeeded by Montgomery GI bill, and I think there have been various versions of that program.
    It comes down to, LET'S DO SOMETHING FOR THE TROOPS.
    Followed quickly by, BUT DON'T SPEND TOO MUCH ON IT.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If it is a housing cut, just stay at home, and go to a local college .....

Yeah, that's the ticket! What if that are already at home going to a local college?

They are also disallowing retirees to get their retirement and disability pay at the same time. This change has gone through several iterations over the past few years, but it looks like real changes may be coming. What do you think about that one?

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am recieving my VA disability, and my Ret .....

You may be currently receiving both, but there have been talks going on for about a year
    to change that. They want to save money and they started reducing the amount that students can take from their parent's post-9/11 GI Bill. The next item on the chopping block is people like yourself. So, like you stated the students should go to a local college, maybe there are some politicians out there who will say you should not get both payments. We shall see.

Ending 'concurrent receipt' of retirement and disability pays would save billions, federal agency says

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You may be currently receiving both, but there have been talks going on for about a year
    to change that. They want to save money and they started reducing the amount that students can take from their parent's post-9/11 GI Bill. The next item on the chopping block is people like yourself. So, like you stated the students should go to a local college, maybe there are some politicians out there who will say you should not get both payments. We shall see.

Ending 'concurrent receipt' of retirement and disability pays would save billions, federal agency says

Crap.
    As far as I'm concerned, disability is separate.
    But, I don't make rules.

And didn't they do that years ago? Money paid for disability was deducted from retirement?

Top Bottom