Spring is near (sand hill crane spotting)!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    A couple of days ago it was a Daytona 500 race commercial, which to me has always meant spring is near. Then today I heard that awesome prehistoric sound up above. I thought, surely not?! Sure enough after panning the sky I spotted them, maybe 50-75ish strong headed north (of course). Seems a bit early to me but I'll gladly greet them back with a smile. Come on summer!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Here in southern Indiana, we have Canadian geese year round, but today, while working in rural Harrison county, I saw huge groups of them flying north all day long. First time in several years I've seen them flying so high, and in such large groups.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had four separate flocks of sandhills fly over today just while I was walking to the mailbox and back. They are on the move!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would guess they are just going places to feed.Most are eventually going to Pulaski Game Preserve.It is their breeding ground,than fly north.

Last edited:

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Holy thread revival Batman!

I was playing outside with my little man earlier today soaking up some much missed sunlight and to what do I hear ever so faintly???
    That’s right...those wonderful spring-is-right-around-the-corner cranes! Maybe a hundred of them between two groups. Headed northeast. Come on summer!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've been seeing skunks on the camera for a few weeks. Had one in the driveway the other night.

One of the last coyotes shot had been having a stand off with the skunk for an hour at he bait pile...didn't get sprayed though.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I’m sure they can be a pest just as any other creature in large numbers. They don’t stop here, that’s a county or two north of here. I just get to set my spring calendar to them.

I’ve smelled a few skunks the past couple days. Is there a connection?:dunno:
    Do skunks hibernate or something??

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    According to the DNR site, they don't hibernate but do become inactive in the colder weather. Mating season is February/March so maybe that makes them more active as well since they would be seeking a mate.

Top Bottom