• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Looking for a new motorcycle helmet that's full face and for dual sport bike riding. Don't want to break the bank. Open for suggestions. Thanks.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I've tried all types of motorcycle helmets over the past 15 years. Here is what I have learned, all budget helmets are junk. All half helmets are junk. Let me clarify "junk" means not comfortable, won't fit right, bad ventilation, etc that leaves the budgeted amount of money wasted. In conclusion it really sucks but spend at minimum 400-500 on a good helmet. I spent $480 on a upper mid shoei and couldn't be happier! It's light weight, excellent ventilation, doesn't ride up in wind or high wind. I have ridden 24 hours across the plains and had 0 issues including no neck pain! The added cost really does make a difference. A side note, it's your brain and 20 years of emergency medicine has proven helmets work, especially good ones. Think of your family when shelling out a couple extra green backs!

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    With a helmet its a feel thing for me. Rocky mountain atv has a great return(resize) policy if you want to do internet purchase. Like everything comfort is going to cost.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have a Bell Star Carbon - love it. It can be a bit noisy, but is THE best ventilated helmet I have ever owned and is very light. It is my most recent and current helmet. Highly recommend looking at Bell.

I also have an Arai Quantum with many many miles on it. Great helmet.
    No complaints about the upper end Shoeis I've had in the past.
    Wife has a Suomy - no complaints, nice lid.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Love my Shoei but then spent I more on it than my first bike. What's your melon and comfort worth? I know a couple of guys that swear by their full face that folds completely open in front but don't personally believe they'll provide any protection when you really need a full face. YMMV.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The safest helmet is the one that fits you properly.

I don't know any of the shops up in NWI, but you need to get yourself into a store that has a lot of options so that you can try them on.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    research... Cycle world had advertiser's cancel business with them due to a real world independent test they did a few years back.. you dont have to break the bank to get a good helmet. The boat show had the motorcycle expo going on and many dealers there and were running specials. Go and try helmets on. I bought a modular helmet at the boat show. Full face but flips up and has a built in sun shield. 150.00. Very comfortable and quiet. My son bought a ICON helmet there and is pleased. Again many good lower priced helmets and all that I looked at passed the same tests that higher priced helmets passed. Make sure it is at least DOT certified. Snell and some others have higher standards and are usually more. Go try some on and look online for deals. Motorcycle warehouse is a great place to get helmets and such.. Good luck and hope you find one soon... its really great riding weather. Tim

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Suomy, we have raced in them the past few years, I use em on the street now its an awesome very light weight helmet and cost is reasonable

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What shape is your head, Larry?

Fit comes before brand preference. Right now I have an Arai Profile, not because I'm rich (definitely poor after buying it), but because it fit my long oval head. I tried it on while window shopping and simply had to buy it. It fits so well, it's actually uncomfortable to ride without it. There's a lot of helmet brands I like, but they don't make a helmet in my shape so it's either going to have a gap or it's going to pinch in spots.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I've tried all types of motorcycle helmets over the past 15 years. Here is what I have learned, all budget helmets are junk. All half helmets are junk. Let me clarify "junk" means not comfortable, won't fit right, bad ventilation, etc that leaves the budgeted amount of money wasted. In conclusion it really sucks but spend at minimum 400-500 on a good helmet. I spent $480 on a upper mid shoei and couldn't be happier! It's light weight, excellent ventilation, doesn't ride up in wind or high wind. I have ridden 24 hours across the plains and had 0 issues including no neck pain! The added cost really does make a difference. A side note, it's your brain and 20 years of emergency medicine has proven helmets work, especially good ones. Think of your family when shelling out a couple extra green backs!
    THIS^^^^ And whatever you do make sure it is at least DOT certified, SNELL certified is even better. Try https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmets, or Motorcycle Helmets - Motorcycle Superstore. It goes without saying, your head, your call.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have a few different ones, a Bell full face for cold weather,and a couple Shoei's.I wear a half with a short visor most of the time,it has a zip off neck cover.It works great with a full fairing.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    As stated numerous times above, a lot matters on your head shape. I have a long oval head and am a bit harder to fit. My street helmets were Arai Signets before they were discontinued. I loved how comfortable they were, but the build quality was terrible on the three that I had (well, two of mine and one of my wife's).

Now I wear Scorpion helmets and like them. I bought this one last year and it is a really nice helmet for DS riding...

scorpion_exoat950_neocon_helmet_orange_zoom.jpg

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-at950-helmet

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I prefer Nolans. I use their bluetooth coms helmet with the sun visor that flips down inside the clear face shield. I also like that it flips up from the face when not on the go.

Top Bottom