• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Wanting to buy a Hummer H3 for my wife, she wants a 4x4 SUV and I would like to get her a H3. But have never owned one, but always wanted one and couldn't afford a new one when they come out. So I guess what I'm looking for is H3 owners comments on reliability and things to look for on used ones. If there are problems with tranny's or the 5cyl engines or any other unforeseen problems I should be worried about. Looking for one around 100k mi. in good shape just to give you a idea of where i'm at and what I should look for or ask about and not sure what is to many miles and when they start to have problems for a H3, so any help would be great. Thx :ingo:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    isnt it built on the colorado frame and drive train.??? Lady at work had one and it looked coolish but she always had issues.. dont let that stop you buying one.. if thats what you want get it..

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    We've had a couple roll through our shop. It's a 5 cylinder which I find odd and feel sort of "clunky". I'd pick a Jeep over a Hummer any day. :twocents:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    That's what i wanted to hear. That's why I ask here, get a better feel for what they are about then just a review page. thx all

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    That's what i wanted to hear. That's why I ask here, get a better feel for what they are about then just a review page. thx all

You guts seem spot on the reviews I have read say 07 had power lag and the 08 had more horse power, but hadn't read anything about head problems. That's again why I ask here seem to get the real truth. thx again

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I guess my question should of been any mechanics ever worked on any H3's and what kind of problems did they have and what miles were they with problems... Thx again

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have had several Volvo 5 cylinder cars, all were smooth as any engine I have ever seen.

Big difference in the way the Sweeds do things vs. the way that the guys at GM do things.

5 cylinder engines aren't inherently bad - just have a different sound.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So this is not going to answer your question, but if you are not absolutely stuck on an H3, might consider a Toyota FJ Cruiser. At that mileage, they are just getting broken in.

Everything you ever wanted to know about them located here: Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

I bought an '07 back in Oct, 2014, with 76 k on it at the time. Very good vehicles, and no longer being made, but have a strong following.

On another note, would your wife be adept at engaging 4WD when needed, etc? If not, you might want to look at something AWD instead. Not saying she is or isn't and not trying to be sexist, but many people (men or women) are not adept at when to actually engage 4WD and how to really drive a part time 4WD.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am curious as to if you are looking at the H3 primarily for its styling or are there other attributes it has that you like?

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've replaced a front seal and wheel bearing. I was unimpressed with the strength and quality of the parts. A jeep, or Toyota would be better as stated above. I do like the looks of the body though.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I worked at GM and worked on the H2 and H3 dies that stamp the body parts. I got to talk and work with several of the project engineers.
    First off the H3 is not even close to a Colorado(although they were built in the same assembly plant). While the engine is similar it had changes that re-tuned it for the Hummer application.
    The rest of the driveline and suspension and frame were totally different.
    The H3 is a AWD there is no 2 wheel drive mode in transfer case. But unlike most AWD there is a 4 wheel lock and a low range available.
    H3 had 2 different transfer cases available the standard models had low range reduction of around 2-2.5 to 1 IIRC.
    There was a Adventure package that had a low range of 4 to 1 and a electronic locking rear diff and bigger tires. Actually the last couple of years the H3 was made both the rear and front diff were lockable with switches on the dash on the Adventure models.
    H3 traction control was unique at the time as it applied brakes individually when a wheel slips and made sure the wheel that had traction got the power. Jeep has a similar system now.
    2006 was first year for H3 and had a 3.5 motor. 2007 switched to a 3.7 motor.
    2006 and some early 2007 did have some head problems but the one that had issues should have been fixed by now.
    I owned 2 H3's a 2006 5 speed manual and a 2007 auto. Both with the Adventure package.
    I bought the 2006 as a product evaluation vehicle that a company executive drove. It was one of the very first sell-able H3 made serial number 112 and the first 100 vehicles are non sell-able vehicle that are made for crash testing, press vehicles, etc.
    We put almost 60K on that one and it was a great vehicle with no problems. The lady that bought it from us has kept in touch and the last time we talked it was closing in on 200K with just a brake job and plugs and filters.
    We missed the first one after we sold it and started looking for another one a couple of years later. Wife was having hip troubles so we went with a auto trans in the 2007.
    We put almost 40K on that one(had 50K on it when we bought it). Only trouble we had with that one was a the heat and air fan quit working and a quick google search showed that it was a fairly common problem and a easy fix. A plug under the passenger side of the dash would over heat and quit working. Just had to pull the plug apart and put a couple of spade terminals in place of the factory terminals. No other issues.
    Just for comparison we also had a 2014 Jeep wrangler unlimited.
    Hummer had more room inside than Jeep.
    Hummer rode better than the Jeep.
    Hummer was a lot quieter than the Jeep(Jeep had hardtop) Although the nature of a flat windshield on both is they are both a little noisy compared to a truck or car with a curved windshield. Both are prone to cracked windshields as the flat shields don't deflect rocks as well.
    Hummers got 20-21 MPG on the hiway 60-65 MPH. They averaged 17-18 for everyday driving for us.
    Jeep was slightly better than that like maybe a half gallon better for everyday driving and if we were careful could see 22 on the highway.
    Jeep had the removable top that the Hummer didn't although Hummer was available with sunroof.
    Jeep with 3.6 had a good bit more power than the hummer.
    HUGE aftermarket for Jeep stuff not much for Hummer.
    I have seen people do things with jeeps and hummers that should have destroyed them but they survived. Both would work for your wife to drive. I like the looks of the Hummer better than the Jeep but that is just me.
    Crap I still miss the H3 now you got me thinking about a low mileage H3T.
    Good luck with your search.

Edit: Don't forget that Hummer made the H3 Alpha also that had a 5.3 V8.
    I drove a couple of these and they were a very balanced package and would be better if towing was in the future. I don't have any MPG numbers as I never owned one and I don't like to give info like that if I can't say it is accurate. Different drivers will get different numbers based on driving style.
    IIRC the EPA estimates were 2-4 MPG less with the V8.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Can't speak for the H3, but I know 2 people with the 5 cyl engine Colorado's and combined they've been through 5 engines.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I worked at GM and worked on the H2 and H3 dies that stamp the body parts. I got to talk and work with several of the project engineers.
    First off the H3 is not even close to a Colorado(although they were built in the same assembly plant). While the engine is similar it had changes that re-tuned it for the Hummer application.
    The rest of the driveline and suspension and frame were totally different.
    The H3 is a AWD there is no 2 wheel drive mode in transfer case. But unlike most AWD there is a 4 wheel lock and a low range available.
    H3 had 2 different transfer cases available the standard models had low range reduction of around 2-2.5 to 1 IIRC.
    There was a Adventure package that had a low range of 4 to 1 and a electronic locking rear diff and bigger tires. Actually the last couple of years the H3 was made both the rear and front diff were lockable with switches on the dash on the Adventure models.
    H3 traction control was unique at the time as it applied brakes individually when a wheel slips and made sure the wheel that had traction got the power. Jeep has a similar system now.
    2006 was first year for H3 and had a 3.5 motor. 2007 switched to a 3.7 motor.
    2006 and some early 2007 did have some head problems but the one that had issues should have been fixed by now.
    I owned 2 H3's a 2006 5 speed manual and a 2007 auto. Both with the Adventure package.
    I bought the 2006 as a product evaluation vehicle that a company executive drove. It was one of the very first sell-able H3 made serial number 112 and the first 100 vehicles are non sell-able vehicle that are made for crash testing, press vehicles, etc.
    We put almost 60K on that one and it was a great vehicle with no problems. The lady that bought it from us has kept in touch and the last time we talked it was closing in on 200K with just a brake job and plugs and filters.
    We missed the first one after we sold it and started looking for another one a couple of years later. Wife was having hip troubles so we went with a auto trans in the 2007.
    We put almost 40K on that one(had 50K on it when we bought it). Only trouble we had with that one was a the heat and air fan quit working and a quick google search showed that it was a fairly common problem and a easy fix. A plug under the passenger side of the dash would over heat and quit working. Just had to pull the plug apart and put a couple of spade terminals in place of the factory terminals. No other issues.
    Just for comparison we also had a 2014 Jeep wrangler unlimited.
    Hummer had more room inside than Jeep.
    Hummer rode better than the Jeep.
    Hummer was a lot quieter than the Jeep(Jeep had hardtop) Although the nature of a flat windshield on both is they are both a little noisy compared to a truck or car with a curved windshield. Both are prone to cracked windshields as the flat shields don't deflect rocks as well.
    Hummers got 20-21 MPG on the hiway 60-65 MPH. They averaged 17-18 for everyday driving for us.
    Jeep was slightly better than that like maybe a half gallon better for everyday driving and if we were careful could see 22 on the highway.
    Jeep had the removable top that the Hummer didn't although Hummer was available with sunroof.
    Jeep with 3.6 had a good bit more power than the hummer.
    HUGE aftermarket for Jeep stuff not much for Hummer.
    I have seen people do things with jeeps and hummers that should have destroyed them but they survived. Both would work for your wife to drive. I like the looks of the Hummer better than the Jeep but that is just me.
    Crap I still miss the H3 now you got me thinking about a low mileage H3T.
    Good luck with your search.

Edit: Don't forget that Hummer made the H3 Alpha also that had a 5.3 V8.
    I drove a couple of these and they were a very balanced package and would be better if towing was in the future. I don't have any MPG numbers as I never owned one and I don't like to give info like that if I can't say it is accurate. Different drivers will get different numbers based on driving style.
    IIRC the EPA estimates were 2-4 MPG less with the V8.

Thx Boss, This is some great info . Thx again

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Former mechanic and did a few stints in a chevy dealership as a go-fer in HS. Nothing to really add but I will reiterate what has been said: There are better options. Many better options. In many ways.

Swedish and German I5s are worlds apart.

I'd argue that. GM put the same thing in for several years prior. My mom's 02 Buick Century and grampas 02 Lesabre both had the same thing (Brake applied to slipping wheel) and it wasn't all that new then. It worked great in the snow too. slip one tire, apply the brake, other side breaks free, apply the brake to that side and it breaks the first free again. granted, with 4wd/awd it'd work a lot better than just 2wd

Top Bottom