• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm going to have to buy a new grill once spring is here. My current one is a cheap gas grill I bought from Lowes years ago, and it's in very poor shape.

This time, I'd like to get a grill that's going to last longer. And I am unsure if I want charcoal or gas.

So. Gas VS charcoal grills. What are the pros and cons of each?

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    They now have dual charcoal/gas grills at a reasonable price. You have the best of both worlds. We bought one for our daughter and her family and they love it.

The big advantage of gas is the speed at which you can start the process. In five minutes you can decide to grill and have something on the flames. If you wrap some wood chunks in foil and keep it on the grill you even get the great smokey flavor that you want.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I like my gas grill, converted to NG and attached to my house gas line. Heats up quick, cooks well, cleans up pretty easy, and I'll never run out of gas. I DID keep the old propane jets, and have a couple of 20# tanks, just in case.

I think mine is a CharBroil brand in all stainless. Keep it covered, clean, and out of the weather, and it'll last a lot longer.

A side burner is nice, too. I can cook pretty much a whole meal on the grill.

I do like charcoal, but am simply not that patient. If it was an occasional social thing, sure. I'd rather fire it up and start cooking 5 minutes later.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Good points so far. My son teases me and says I'm not grilling, I'm just baking outdoors with my gas grill.

On my next one, I may look at the dual type or I have heard of one the you can use the gas to start the charcoal and then cook with the charcoal. That might be an option.

But for a lot of years now, gas has worked well for me. I cook year round several times per week so charcoal would be too expensive and consume too much time to get a meal on, especially during the week.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One is easier to use, so you may use it more often.

The other makes the food taste better, but is more of a hassle.

If it were me, I'd have both.

The good news is that for charcoal, anything more complicated than a $99 22" Weber (and do​ get a Weber) is just adding things that aren't necessary. Sometimes nice, but not necessary.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As HM said, it's difficult to beat a Weber kettle. I can't really comment on using gas as I'd never consider it after eating off of one growing up but there isn't a lot you can't do with a Weber kettle if you're willing. Buy a chimney starter and keep a supply of newspaper around and they really aren't that much more difficult to get started than a gas and the flavor potential is much better.

I enjoy cooking and really enjoy cooking outdoors so its a Big Green Egg for me. Just put rub on a pork butt which will likely hit the smoker some time tonight for dinner tomorrow. Mmmmm.....

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I prefer propane, quicker to get ready and my food doesn't taste like charcoal. I'm also spoiled in the fact that I have a firebrick pit that I can cook over real wood with, so the gas grill is only for cooks when I don't feel like starting a fire.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I prefer propane, quicker to get ready and my food doesn't taste like charcoal (LIGHTER). I'm also spoiled in the fact that I have a firebrick pit that I can cook over real wood with, so the gas grill is only for cooks when I don't feel like starting a fire.

FIFY.

As many have said, gas is great if you're in a hurry or not to worried about flavor but "natural lump" charcoal or real hardwood are the only way to go when taste is higher on the priority list than time! Personally we have a dual fuel setup as well as a charcoal or wood setup. Love them both!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We have a proppane grill we take to the racetrack with us on occasion. It cooks well enough but for home use there's really only one choice...CHARCOAL. Gives additional flavor to all the basic burgers chops steaks etc...and when you throw on some oak, hickory, apple or mesquite chips you get a deeper smokier flavor. Sure you can toss wood chips on a gas grill but the charcoal enhances the flavor profile and has a deeper flavor. I have a Weber kettle for grilling all the staples. But when it's time to get down with some real BBQ (ribs brisket pork butt/shoulder or loin) I pull out the charcoal smoker. Reality gas gives a more instant heat. Charcoal only takes 10-15min of preheating and you prolly already do that whenever you cook in the oven. Get charcoal

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I prefer propane, quicker to get ready and my food doesn't taste like charcoal. I'm also spoiled in the fact that I have a firebrick pit that I can cook over real wood with, so the gas grill is only for cooks when I don't feel like starting a fire.

Only bad taste that can come from charcoal is either not letting the coals to get hot enough to burn off the charcoal lighter or being a knucklehead and trying to add more lighter right before cooking. However that can all be avoided by buying charcoal lighter cubes or giving it time to get hot....any backyard or professional pit master worth his/her salt knows charcoal is king

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Look at a rec rec.

Is that a Rec Tec? Some people really like the pellet type grills. I came close to buying one years ago, but I really like simplicity and minimalism and with the motors, augers, finding pellets, etc. I passed.

Are they really all that great?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Is that a Rec Tec? Some people really like the pellet type grills. I came close to buying one years ago, but I really like simplicity and minimalism and with the motors, augers, finding pellets, etc. I passed.

Pellet grill? PELLET GRILL????:xmad: REALLY? Somebody get a rope! That's almost as blasphemous as using an electric smoker!:noway:

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    I'm with Thunderchicken. Gas is fine, fast and convenient but when it comes down to it charcoal just makes the meat taste better and when you really want things done right, low and slow with a smoker. Got a kit online from Big Poppa Smokers and turned a drum into a smoker it works great, I love it. I use it for smoking and just a plain old BBQ. Get one of those chimney charcoal starters and you're up and going in no time.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I do like charcoal, but am simply not that patient. If it was an occasional social thing, sure. I'd rather fire it up and start cooking 5 minutes later.

This. I have a gas grill due to impatience.

DO NOT GET ONE OF THE "TRU-INFRARED" GAS GRILLS. I made that mistake and it's crap. It either barely singes the outside and the inside is cold OR it barely singes the outside and the inside is all dried out and luke-warm. It's sad that the meat's actually better reheated in the microwave.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Yes. They are. I've had mine (Traeger) for over ten years, and it's still going strong. Rec Tec is the same (maybe better) but has some nicer features. There's nothing easier, set the temp you want, and forget about it - nothing to maintain and the results are great. The other advantage is the availability of different pellets - try finding mesquite for your stick burner.

Before i bought a Traeger, I bought a new grill every year. I've never regretted going to a pellet grill.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I use charcoal exclusively. You can't go wrong with the Weber($), or a BGE ($$$).

It does take a little longer to 'light' (only ~5m more if you're letting the gas get up temp), however it get MUCH hotter than a gas grill ever will.
    Very easy to tell how much fuel you have left also.

You will want a chimney starter, as it eliminates/reduces the 'extra' flavor from lighter fluid. Very useful for proper dutch oven cooking as well.
    You'll also need somewhere to dispose of the ashes (garden/yard works for me).

Good news, you can always use hardwood in there when SHTF.

For either gas or charcoal, you really want to think about square-inches/person and how accessible those sq-in's are.
    Nothing quite like cooking your arms/tools because that monster grill only allows partial access to your meat.

Top Bottom