• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's right INGOers, that sleepy town just west of Indy known for Parbellum, Fort Liberty, the marching band and robotics team (hey the Roborioles won State last year) was home to big-time drug traffickers! I thought the coverage in the story was a bit over the top but I might be a bit biased. Also, while I'm not a lawyer admitting multiple felonies to a news crew isn't something you should do.

AVON, Ind. -- Federal prosecutors announced the bust of a Mexican drug cartel accused of moving large amounts of meth and cocaine through Hendricks County.

The criminal indictment targeting 17 suspects was filed in January until finally being unsealed this week.
    Prosecutors say the drug cartel operated out of Avon for more than a year before being busted last year as part of a nationwide drug trafficking investigation.

One of the accused drug dealers freely admitted his crimes to FOX59.
    “Yeah I mean it just happened,” said suspect Roberto Macias.

When you think Mexican cartels, Avon likely doesn’t often come to mind, but Roberto Macias admitted to storing 21 pounds of meth in his Avon home last year before being caught. “I do (feel bad about it) because I messed up my whole life. I got a record now,” said Macias.

According to court records, 29 pounds of meth were driven to Avon in November 2015 and 30 kilos of cocaine came in days later. Another shipment of meth was made in December 2015 and then again in March and May of 2016 when 60 pounds of meth arrived in Avon.

The drug deals often went down in public places like a Super Target parking lot in Avon. The alleged ring leader locally was Rafael Rojas Reyes. Macias says he was just a low-level courier.

Mexican drug cartel accused of moving large amounts of meth, cocaine through Hendricks County | Fox 59

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Why is the meth in pounds and cocaine in kilos? Super Target has access to southbound Ron Reagan without getting on US 36, probably doesn't have a security camera on every pole like Wally World. The area with Super Target has several dining options including Red Lobster, Olive Garden, On the Border, and IHOP. Maybe after moving 66 pounds (AKA 30 kilos) of cocaine, all you can shrimp/pancakes/breadsticks/chips and salsa sounds good. I don't know, I'm not a drug dealer.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'm surprised they are out on bond. Pounds of anything would probably mean pretty long sentence. Given drug dealers access to money I would have considered them a flight risk.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not comfortable calling it a "cartel" unless they all wore expensive white suits. And killed a lot of people.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'm not comfortable calling it a "cartel" unless they all wore expensive white suits. And killed a lot of people.
    Its not too late to kill someone (if they haven't already), they're still walking the streets with a whole lot less to lose.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

White suits help hide the cocaine all over you. Thankfully there were no killings here in Avon, but the bosses back in Mexico have done more than enough killing. Drug trafficking in a Super Target parking lot doesn't really sound cartel-esque.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why is the meth in pounds and cocaine in kilos? Super Target has access to southbound Ron Reagan without getting on US 36, probably doesn't have a security camera on every pole like Wally World. The area with Super Target has several dining options including Red Lobster, Olive Garden, On the Border, and IHOP. Maybe after moving 66 pounds (AKA 30 kilos) of cocaine, all you can shrimp/pancakes/breadsticks/chips and salsa sounds good. I don't know, I'm not a drug dealer.
    Meth is a blue-collar (or no collar) drug. Cocaine however (at least in powder form) is more of a white collar drug. I guess meth is measured in pounds so that the working man can relate to it more easily.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    The clientele up here is not the type to have a firm grasp on the metric system. The next county over had a bust involving 20 lbs of meth and 80 lbs of weed in an old farm house. They were not the shiniest pennies in talking to people that knew the family. Makes one wonder if all those busts are related.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The clientele up here is not the type to have a firm grasp on the metric system. The next county over had a bust involving 20 lbs of meth and 80 lbs of weed in an old farm house. They were not the shiniest pennies in talking to people that knew the family. Makes one wonder if all those busts are related.

I saw this story and wondered the same thing.
    MUNCIE, Ind. – A California man has been arrested in Muncie for allegedly taking part in a large-scale meth ring.

A local investigation began and an informant helped officers arrest, Jerry Lee Garner, 44, of Los Angeles.

Authorities learned of specific dropping locations for the meth and planted a package at one of the addresses. Garner then reportedly drove up to the driveway in a car with California plates and took the package from the doorstep.

During a search, authorities allegedly found conversations with a number from Mexico on Garner’s cell phone.

LA man arrested in Muncie for alleged involvement in large meth ring | Fox 59

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    I'm surprised they are out on bond. Pounds of anything would probably mean pretty long sentence. Given drug dealers access to money I would have considered them a flight risk.

I havent looked up the numbers lately but if youre going to carry anything over 25grams you might as well carry 100lbs, the charge is the same. As for the Bond, its their right to have one. Im sure posting the cash is not going to be a problem.

All the users and dealers that I have had contact with all have the little electronic scales and its always in Grams. Im not sure why the news report listed it in Lbs. The buyers mostly all buy in grams or will state that I used X-grams today/week.....when being processed into jail.

ISP has a great Interdiction team that works hard to pick up the kilos before they get to Indy/Avon area. Those guys dont get enough credit for what they do.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do the municipalities hope these guys post a huge bond and then flee to Mexico? They got the drugs and the $$$, and the bond, and don't have to pay to prosecute or imprison

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Do the municipalities hope these guys post a huge bond and then flee to Mexico? They got the drugs and the $$$, and the bond, and don't have to pay to prosecute or imprison
    There are times when judges will just order that the illegals be turned over to the feds for deportation. That's what the illegals want. Get out of jail free card! Start playing the game of Monopoly again!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Cynical!! Although you have a point...

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    Pretty scary that this stuff was going on in that neighborhood. I used to live in that same neighborhood about a block away before I moved to Danville. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised...seems to be happening just about everywhere these days.

Top Bottom