• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Lately I just dont shoot my long guns as much. Ive had an olympic arms AR for awhile and i do enjoy shooting it, but i dont really even have the land to really reach out with it. I think any american who is able, should own an AR-15 because other places in the world arent allowed to have them. This is why im struggling with the idea of letting it go, it would be more practical for me to trade it for another pistol or a home defense shotgun. Money isnt exactly tight but it isnt abundant either so im not really lookin at "do both" as an option. The itch tight now is an s and w 686. Range wise ive got about 50 yards to work with for now. It makes sense to me to get proficient with my pistols at that range and maybe later in life when i have more property i can pick up a nicer AR right?

What do you guys think?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    It's an antiquated artifact of a (gladly) soon to be forgotten era. Lose it. Heck, I'll give you 50.00 for it just to help out with your pistol purchase, and because I'm a good guy.

Seriously, it's not eating anything. No one taxes you on it. It costs you nothing to keep. Buy a box of ammo for it once a month and be ready for that rainy day.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Don't sell unless you need the money :twocents:

We never know what's going to happen. I'd keep it.

It's a bad time to sell an AR15 anyway.

This. It does not cost you anything to keep it in the safe. As you have said, in the future you will want one. Prices are depressed on ARs now. You bought high, so don't sell low. Keep it. Save a bit longer for the S&W. Prices are low and going lower on all firearms. Be patient. Be disciplined.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I sold both of my AR's, and they were of high quality. I sold everything, mags and ammo. Why? Because of my new son. He deserves the best life I can possibly give him.

If you were in a situation where the money would come in handy, then yes, sell it. But if you're simply wanting to sell it for another gun, eh, it probably wouldn't be worth it. I'd save up the money and buy the gun that way. Unless you absolutely hate the AR, then I would sell it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Alrightttttttt. Ill keep it, my thinking was with only so much yardage to work with then whats the point. And dang it the wheel gun itch is strong right now. Maybe ill just try to find a 9mm upper for it so itll make more sense. Ingo is so wise :rockwoot:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You can always get creative with 50 yards. Set up really small targets. Do some run and gun. Work on rifle handling skills. Practice rapid fire and keeping groups as tight as you can.

Lot's of shooting to be had at 50 yards. Heck, with few exceptions and maybe a bay or two, you won't get to 50 yards in a multi-gun match.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have two AR's, sometimes I think to myself, do I really need two of them, then I just think about something else.

I could understand if the OP had two or more or had another defense/tactical long gun but...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You can always get creative with 50 yards. Set up really small targets. Do some run and gun. Work on rifle handling skills. Practice rapid fire and keeping groups as tight as you can.

Lot's of shooting to be had at 50 yards. Heck, with few exceptions and maybe a bay or two, you won't get to 50 yards in a multi-gun match.

I was going to say something along these lines. I used to shoot my AR at distance quite a bit. And I will shoot it out to 600 from time to time. I'd say more than half of my shooting is about 50 yards or under though. There are so many skills for using a rifle up and close that I really need to work on. I could do all of my shooting at 50 and not be bored or run out of areas for vast improvement.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If it really gets to bothering you PM me and I'll give you my address and you can drop it off one afternoon. Just leave it on the porch or in the back of the truck!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom