• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a houseboat, and the marina I keep it at has free wifi, but the signal is very weak at my dock. Can I install a wifi range extender inside my boat to boost the signal, or does it need to be closer to the marina?

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Mine has indicator lights on it telling me if the signal is good enough to be boosted or not. I had to try 2 outlets before I had a good enough signal. I did help with the wifi in the upstairs though. First World problems...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A booster/repeater goes between you and the other side. It has to be close enough to get a good signal so that it can retransmit the signal. So imagine the range is 1000' and you are at 1200'. You would need to put the repeater at about the 500' mark and that would extend the signal to 1500'. Make sense?

You could also try getting one of these and point it at the marina's antenna. It could work. (and the other end may still not be enough to reach you enough)

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nan...e=UTF8&qid=1489268246&sr=8-1&keywords=loco+m2

(it says access point but you can put it in station mode to talk to their AP)

EDIT: I have one you can try first if you like. Its just sitting on my shelf.

Last edited:

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    LOL! Free wifi on my houseboat is defintely a First World Problem (I posted on the thread)! I've been looking at boosters today. Worse case is, I'm out $50 on the one I like.

Cameamonkey. I'm in that range that I may be able to make it work.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry, I wasnt clear. Those ranges were arbitrary for illustration only to show how they work. To put a finer point on it, if you are the last slip, you'd have to put the repeater at the first slip, assuming that slip can get a good signal. The repeater needs to go between you and the dockhouse where it still has a good signal , so it can repeat the good signal to you. It cant be installed somewhere that doesnt already have good signal.

Imagine a repeater/booster is like the towers along the great wall of China. You in your tower cant communicate with the other end directly, but if you yell to the next tower, and he repeats the message to his neighbor, eventually the message will get to the far end. Thats basically how a repeater works.

If you dont have enough signal at your dock to operate, no run of the mill booster will work installed in your boat because there is no usable signal to repeat. (says the certified wireless guy. Been doing IT for 20+ years, and point to point wireless networking is one of my specialties)

And I misspoke. Unless you want to run wired ethernet to the device link I posted, you'll need another wifi access point on your boat to serve the devices. Probably total cost of about $75 for both pieces of my gear (and the mount), configured. (assuming it works. No worky? just bring it back to me. )
    Other two pieces you'll need:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-air...qid=1489285637&sr=8-1&keywords=airgateway+pro
    https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Net...659&sr=1-2&keywords=ubiquiti+mounting+bracket

You have line of sight from your boat to the antenna at the other end, right?

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    My understanding is that a wifi extender is like an extension cord, it will act as a bridge. So you would have your router, then near the edge of the range of tht router you can use a wifi extender to bridge the wireless to an object further than the range of the original wifi. So unless you can install the extender in between the boat and the wifi signal, it will not work. I use a wifi extender to extend wifi to a shed in a corner of my property in such a way. You would also need administrative acess to install an extender I believe.

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    One other thing that came to mind. Maybe you can get the marina owner to extend the wifi signal so it reaches the boats that are using the marina. If they raise the monthly rates, say by $1, it may be worthwhile for everyone, including the marina owner.

Top Bottom