• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    Im interested in talking to anyone who knows the inner workings off the Indianapolis department of code enforcement. We moved about a year ago and have had several issues. Id prefer not to give a lot of background but will try to help you all understand. We live in a fairly rural area (no neighborhood how or anything) in SE indy. I cut grass . I built a pole barn and installed a privacy fence when I moved in it took most of the first winter. The fence on my neighbors side is not done. They have chain link and we have talked and as soon as I get a chance Im taking that up and putting in wood privacy (we both have dogs, we get along fine but the dogs want to bark at each other and test the fence). Im getting violation letters that make almost no sense considering what is all around me. Its picking on things that wouldn't likely be an issue in plain view much less behind a privacy fence.

I am living with a knot in my stomach. We moved here to enjoy our life, we don't bother anyone. the first thing I did come spring was put up the privacy fence. My one truck is new (2014) the other is a standard pickup in decent shape. Im not noisy. As far as I know I get along with my neighbors, I talk to several of them. This is making my life hell and stressing me out bad.

Can anyone possibly help walk me through what to do? How to handle this? maybe what some of the rules are (I spent 4 hours reading city code, its not very clear, I think on purpose). There are literally dozens of houses within walking distance that are obviously engaged in similar stuff and are obvious about it. Would be willing to PM with someone who knows a lot about this. While I mean no offense Im not looking for personal horror stories, just how to deal with this if you have internal or external experience.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I got your PM. You made someone mad or one of the other people that do the same job as you has a friend in zoning.
    Get a lawyer.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    I absolutly did. I went through every step of the process. I have also had 3 regular guys and two cops who live in the area give me thier opinions to make sure I'm looking at this objectively. The word used by them is harassment. If I hadn't got permits I would be dealing with that, not silly nit pick things you can see literally all over from the road (mine is all privacy fenced in) . The only thing that happened as far as permitting is I put in one piece of concrete pipe in my ditch because the drive is at a funny angle and I was creating a mud pit. Got fined, got permit, corrected the issue. (Didn't know I was in the right of way since it was in my yard but had no problem getting the permit). The permits and required drawings had me over $2000 before I dug a post hole 1.

hanks,
    z

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I absolutly did. I went through every step of the process. I have also had 3 regular guys and two cops who live in the area give me thier opinions to make sure I'm looking at this objectively. The word used by them is harassment. If I hadn't got permits I would be dealing with that, not silly not pick things you can see literally all over from the road (mine is all privacy fenced in) . The only thing that happened as far as permitting is I put in one piece of concrete pipe in my ditch because the drive is at a funny angle and I was creating a mud pit. Got fined, got permit, corrected the issue. (Didn't know I was in the right of way since it was in my yard but had no problem getting the permit). The permits and required drawings had me over $2000 before I dug a post hole 1.

hanks,
    z

My apologies for thinking that. Its usually how it happens. If you obtained the proper permits and the work was signed off on by an inspector, you should probably consult a lawyer to assist you.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My apologies for thinking that. Its usually how it happens. If you obtained the proper permits and the work was signed off on by an inspector, you should probably consult a lawyer to assist you.

Same apology coming from me, OP.

Sad that you/we have to go the permitting route for stupid stuff like this - but since you did - you've definitely got legs to stand on.

Wish I could point you towards the kind of barrister that you need, but I cannot.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    No worries guys. And sorry if I sounded short. I'm losing sleep over this and it's affecting my families life, and it's over silly stuff. The code is written in such a way they can get you for a lot of things no one would ever dream of. I had a plow sitting on gravel behind the privacy fence (not a junker, almost new) you have to look over the fence to see it. there are at least 8-10 in view from the street on either way to my house, but I had to move mine and go get storage. That's just wrong. Stuff like that. My place is not a trash heap. I'm no white picket fence guy but for our here I'm right in the middle at worst.

Prayers appreciated.

Z

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I don't know about your area, but Ft Wayne CE was like a Pit bull, first Bite they wouldn't let go. I worked on several houses that the owners were in the same frame of mind as you, CE had them running scared.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Indianapolis CE are a-holes of the highest order. They are 10x worse than the cops.

I don't know if you are being snarky or not, but I agree about CE in Indy. I've never had any run-ins, but I got a General Contractor's license for my previous employer. Process was easy enough, but I had to go to a 2 or 3 hour "orientation". The "orientation" consisted of about 6 guys telling you all about their fines and how they'll shut down your job site. Bureaucracy at its finest.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't know if you are being snarky or not, but I agree about CE in Indy. I've never had any run-ins, but I got a General Contractor's license for my previous employer. Process was easy enough, but I had to go to a 2 or 3 hour "orientation". The "orientation" consisted of about 6 guys telling you all about their fines and how they'll shut down your job site. Bureaucracy at its finest.

Why would I be snarky about that?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I don't know about your area, but Ft Wayne CE was like a Pit bull, first Bite they wouldn't let go. I worked on several houses that the owners were in the same frame of mind as you, CE had them running scared.

Had one dealing with Fort Wayne CE and they are Aholes of the highest order. CE went through our neighborhood and dinged everyone for not having stair rails on the steps up to their porch. Just about everyone had three steps going up to their porch. The Code requires a railing when there are more than three steps. I sent in a written appeal and it was denied. I had to waste my time showing up at a public hearing to have CE follow the law as written.

Top Bottom