Where can I find a decent suit (or two)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you're just needing a couple of suits, Men's Wearhouse, or Jos. A. Banks. You can pick up everything you need in one stop for relatively cheap. Good suits, off the rack, start at Brooks Brothers and go up from there. Von Maur generally has a decent selection of quality rack grade suits, some at bargain prices as well!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do tell? Typical "Better Call Saul" polyester, or Joe Pesci Shark Skin official defense attorney duds?

Lol, no you want Civil War suits--blue and gray.

Blue: pin stripe or window pane (subtle panes).

Gray: Charcoal gray or medium herringbone or Cambridge gray. May go with a light gray for summer.

Eschew the true blues, the browns or tans. With expection of a black for funerals or weddings, stick to Civil War colors.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I got a suit (dark blue!) and some sport jackets/extra pants at Men's Wearhouse a few years ago, have served well.

However MW bought Jos. A Banks awhile back to take advantage of "synergies" and company values took a drubbing on it for the next couple years afterwards. They just recently -- this past December -- started recovering rather well, but then the stock market in general started recovering dramatically in Nov/Dec for some reason. (And the recovery helped me with a down payment for my house! Thanks Donald!)

Don't know if the "synergy" included both brands using the same suit quality or not, nor which brand's quality became dominant.

MW was concealed carry friendly when I was there.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When I had my interview for a new job back in December, I had the same problem. The suit I'd worn to my previous interview 4 years previously must have shrunk hanging in the closet or something... :dunno:

Anyway, I checked Jos A Bank, Men's Wearhouse, Kohl's and a couple of other places, but ended up buying my suit at JC Penney's. They had a sale going on at the time and I was able to get a decent looking suit, 2 shirts and 2 ties for right around $105. I had to get one of their credit cards to get a discount to get it that low, but since I can pay it off and never use it again, I had no problem with it. Just my :twocents:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you are of normal size, come to Indy and visit K&G Men's Mart in Castleton. They have it all...suits, shirts, ties, shoes, and socks. They are very reasonable on prices.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Act, like Chez said, Goodwill might be a great place to look. They often have new or like-new stuff at great prices. Of course they are hit or miss, but there's great stuff to be had. The Goodwill on Ridge road near Grant is a clearance center and everything is half price on Saturday and Sunday. Their pants, shirts, etc I think are .75 or 1.00 full price and half of that on weekends. Not sure about suits, but I would think no more than $5 or $10.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This already reminds me of an AR thread. Do you want quality or do you want crap...

If you're going to wear if very occasionally, are not going to need to impress people who know the difference, and have a fairly normal body shape then you can get by with a cheap suit. Men's Wearhouse and Jos A Banks sell cheap suits with lousy stitching. JC Penny sells cheap suits with lousy stitching. The seams are weak and prone to splitting. You can buy them and then have a tailor reinforce the seams that get the most stress when they fit it to you, and have a good enough suit for occasional wear.

Alternately, if you're not changing body shape much these days, go to a tailor. You'll pay more, but it will fit better while still allowing movement. One thing I have trouble with is finding jackets that are structured but don't hamper my presentation of a firearm. They fit fine when you're static, but start moving and the issues manifest. A decent tailor will take your requirements into consideration and get you something that fits right and moves. I had a really nice tailor in Qatar, and 11 years later and many many wearings later most of what he made me still looks like new.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This already reminds me of an AR thread. Do you want quality or do you want crap...

If you're going to wear if very occasionally, are not going to need to impress people who know the difference, and have a fairly normal body shape then you can get by with a cheap suit. Men's Wearhouse and Jos A Banks sell cheap suits with lousy stitching. JC Penny sells cheap suits with lousy stitching. The seams are weak and prone to splitting. You can buy them and then have a tailor reinforce the seams that get the most stress when they fit it to you, and have a good enough suit for occasional wear.

Alternately, if you're not changing body shape much these days, go to a tailor. You'll pay more, but it will fit better while still allowing movement. One thing I have trouble with is finding jackets that are structured but don't hamper my presentation of a firearm. They fit fine when you're static, but start moving and the issues manifest. A decent tailor will take your requirements into consideration and get you something that fits right and moves. I had a really nice tailor in Qatar, and 11 years later and many many wearings later most of what he made me still looks like new.
    Your tailored suit doesn't do anything better than my crap suit, except cost more! FOR THE MONEY, crap suits'll do everything your expensive tailored stuff will! I mean, really, I would buy a more expensive "go to office" suit, but all I use it for is interviews! And c'mon man, who among us is still able or willing to "go to office"?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just dont let your wife shop for you. I told mine to go to Cox's Menswear and buy me a Seersucker suit. She got confused and went to Sears.... :laugh:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I only wear custom suits. You're close to Trunk Club in Chicago. They take all of your measurements and pictures, send them to a guy in Italy who custom sews a suit together for you, and then final fit it to your body in person. It's a little over $1k. But you're going to look a hell of a lot better than you will in a rack grade suit that'll make you look like you're wearing a box.

They're also a hell of a lot more durable. Reinforced seams, extra material in wear areas, backed buttons, much better material, etc...

Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Back a decade ago when I wore a suit every day I did all my shopping at Macys (L.S.Ayres) in Fort Wayne. Could typically find one off the rack(*) that fit my body well and merely needed the pants hemmed. It has been about five years since I bought a suit so not sure if their selection has changed. Look for a good about of wool content in the fabric (wool does not mean hot). Now is probably a good time as winter season suits should be on sale (winter does not mean hot, just fabric color/style).

Don't forget all the extras you will need with a suit. Dress shoes (comfortable), dress socks, nice looking belt(*), ties (two for each suit), dress shirts.

I get my dress shirts from Land's End as I can get them sized exactly as I need them for my neck and arms. Have the guy measure you and tell you what your size is. If the shirt they try to sell you has two buttons on the cuff it is not your size, it is a shirt they are trying to use to fit two different size people. I wear a 15/34 shirt and can get that exact size from Land's End. In a store they will try to sell me a 15/34-35, ask them what happens to that extra inch of fabric in the sleeves.

(*) As you are shopping consider if you can/will carry the places you plan to wear your suit. If so, consider how you will carry/conceal your weapon. It may be necessary to step away from off the rack suits depending on your needs.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm getting married in May and I think I will be at about the same money to buy a suit as I will be to rent one, so even if it's a cheap suit I still have it when I'm done rather than nothing and a $150 bill... I'd like to just get something decent if possible and then take them to a tialoer. I don't hardly ever wear a suit, so I'm not spending a crazy amount that's for sure. I'll probably buy one for me and the best man's. Looks like it's men's warehouse, or Jos A Banks so far.

Top Bottom