• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Which of these circuit boards would process analog signals? See picture.
    It's a Vizio model 322 HDTV10A.

All of the digital channels work just fine but not the analog.
    I have tried all of the Vizio trouble shooting fixes with no luck.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You recently replaced caps on this tv, no?
    The board on the right would be video. Center small board may handle some processing, but unsure. Could be just sound
    Caps on those don't usually go bad. But be warned soldering/removing caps from those board are more difficult than the power boards...
    1) tiny/no room.
    2) They use a high temp solder, and it can be a pita removing caps :( Be patient.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think I'd check out the top right where the cable screws in. Those old "modulators" did puke regularly.
    FWIW... I haven't been inside a TV in 10 yrs or better. I wasn't a TV repairman by any means but I've build plenty of amplifiers and repaired many more.
    The new stuff is complicated with processors and smaller than my old eyes can handle.
    As mentioned by Robby... those boards weren't made to be worked on to component level. .

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Where are you getting NTSB analog channels from? A cable box? Over the air is ATSC only now if I recall correctly.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Make sure to look in the menu and check the antenna/cable settings. And if you haven't done it, do a reset to factory reset.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Yes, it's set on cable in the menu and I've done a hard reset numerous times. I've been on the Vizio trouble shooting web site and tried all of their fixes.
    To the best of my knowledge we had both digital and analog channels before it quit working and all I did was replace three capacitors on the power board that were buldged on top.
    I looked it over very carefully for any other obvious signs of problems but didn't recognize any before I put it back together, it works great in every way except for not having any analog channels.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Make sure to look in the menu and check the antenna/cable settings. And if you haven't done it, do a reset to factory reset.

This is what I was hinting at. The wrong tuner mode will cause analog channels to not tune. I've been out of the TV game for 15 years now all its all pretty fuzzy. I used to work at RCA on the North side of Indy. Troubleshooting without a schematic is "shot gunning". Something fairly popular on a gun board. :):

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is what I was hinting at. The wrong tuner mode will cause analog channels to not tune. I've been out of the TV game for 15 years now all its all pretty fuzzy. I used to work at RCA on the North side of Indy. Troubleshooting without a schematic is "shot gunning". Something fairly popular on a gun board. :):

I truly hate following round "shotgunners". I have been in the consumer electronics repair business for many many years and I have see some really horrific work on some really expensive equipment. And no body wants to pay to have stuff fixed the right way the second time around. I charge threw the arse for hack jobs if I even decide to take them in.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    So possibly one of the caps on the power board messed with his analog portion?
    Maybe hit all the legs with the soldering iron again to make sure they got good solder joints? I'm at a loss...
    Unless he shorted something during the cap replacement

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I call it "Easter Egging"

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    At the cost they were asking to repair it I could nearly buy a new one.
    All I have are the very basic tools to work with.
    It was in my way on the garage work bench and I either fix it on the cheap or throw it in the trash and do without.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Lots of circuit boards are multi-layer and have inner layer traces. The goo inside an electrolytic capacitor is corrosive and can eat copper traces, sometimes the plated hole "vias" can be eaten away causing a break to an inner layer trace. Solder doesn't wick through to the other side of the board if the via is gone. You will sometimes see a hack repair job with solder on the top and bottom of the board. You can only get away with that on a 2 sided board, not a multi-layer.

In my experience, swollen caps have seen higher then normal temperature &/or voltage. That usually means an active component went bad and caused the cap to go bad.

Top Bottom