• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I am in a situation where I am not sure what to do with my truck and hopefully INGO can voice some opinions. It is a 2011 F150 and I have had it for about 20 months. When I bought it there were brand new Michelin M/S2's on the front and over 1/2 worn Michelins on the back. Fast forward to now and the back tires are just about done for. What would everyone do if they were me? Luckily I only drive 12-15k miles every year on my personal vehicle. My options as I see it are:1. Buy 2 Michelin Defender M/S and run on the front. (They quit making M/S2)2. Buy the 2 cheapest tires I can find and run on the back to catch up with the Michelins on the front. Buy 4 new tires in the future once they are bald.3. Buy an all new set of 4 tires now, and try to sell the 2 good Michelins on ebay/craiglist/in person. I am looking at Michelin A/T2 or BFGoodrich T/A K02 currently.Help! Opinions?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What do you use it for? Any offroad, or all highway, or mix, etc. Are you going for a certain look, etc? The Defenders are good tires, I have them on my wife's AWD SUV... that said, I have BFG KO2's on my 4WD.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Agreed. This is the appropriate plan.

Used tires have very little value; I wouldn't even bother with trying to sell them.

I just put 285 KO2's on both vehicles, sold my used tires for $250 and the wife's for $100 not to mention the $50 each mail in rebate as well as avoiding the $24 tire despisal fee.

MCINDIANA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan City
    I would buy 2 new tires and have them installed in the front and place the present front to the rear. In 6 months, have your tires rotated and get the new tires rotated to the back for better traction in the winter. What condition and size is the spare?
    If it is new, maybe you can get it into the mix and only buy one matching tire.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    2 new tires on the front rotate the decent old tires to the rear. BUT if it is automatic 4wd any more than 1/4" difference in the tread thickness (new tire vs old) it can cause issues with the 4wd

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I got a sweet black Friday deal on tires this year. That doesn't help you but works out pretty good for me.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    More Info

The truck is a 4WD, automatic 3.5L Twin Turbo Ecoboost. I'll generously say I have an aggressive driving style as time is usually of utmost importance. The truck is mainly used for highway, but I do drive gravel roads and some offroad while fishing/hunting. About 90/10 I would guess. I have the Defenders on my work truck and they are almost the same as M/S2. Only reason for going A/T is wanting a different look. Tire size is 275 65r18 if that matters. Thanks everyone so far!

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I did the 2 here, 1 there crap in the past and was always dealing with tires. I now go with 4 new tires no matter what. Different brands of tires, different tread wear on the same brand, all cause handling issues when you push them hard. 4WD especially needs all 4 tires of the same circumference. Go with 4 new now and get the alignment checked at the same time.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I run Rugged Terrains on my daily driver Jeep. Excellent tire, not terribly aggressive and no noise, will buy them again. K02's are a good tire as well. Anything BFG is good in my book.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Do you already have a full size spare tire? If not buy 4 new tires and keep one of the 2 and make a full size spare. If you already have a full size spare I'd still vote for 4 new tires, then don't forget to rotate them frequently.

Top Bottom