• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I heard someone on the radio say this and it sums up my (die hard IU fandom) feelings about it "...meh. mildly surprising but definitely not shocking..."

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I feel bad for the guy. He did an excellent job righting the ship after the cheater Sampson ruined our program. He recruited well but I don't think he was a great "in game" coach. He accomplished a lot but lacked consistency with his teams. This year was an unmitigated disaster but a lot of that is owed to injuries. No Hartman at all. OG out when it counted. Blackmon, Howard, etc. had injuries also.

I can't say it isn't the right move; I believe it is the right thing. I owe a debt of gratitude to him for the turn around in our program. Godspeed Tom Crean.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    That's an easy 4-5 million for not working for IU, lol. I got a friend that just got fired at Illinois.......they paid him a few million to leave as well. Man, where am I when they hand these contracts out!

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Crean's teams had plenty of talent but lacked fundamental understanding of the game and discipline (what you pay a coach millions for). Running up and down the floor shooting 3 pointers either works great or fails miserably. Too often it failed and you have to have another game to fall back on.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    That's an easy 4-5 million for not working for IU, lol. I got a friend that just got fired at Illinois.......they paid him a few million to leave as well. Man, where am I when they hand these contracts out!

Hear Hear. $4-5M to leave. I dont feel bad for him at all. As the OP said, Adios.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I just can't feel sorry for anybody who get fired and at the same time gets handed a huge check like that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    To old school fans it was grating to hear a TV announcer comment that this team couldn't defend a chair. It was time for Crean to move on.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Getting fired is a major part of coaching unless you win Dynasty style for years on end. Yea, IU had plenty of talent BUT... all the teams have great talent now.
    I quit watching IU Basketball a long time ago (Mike Davis era) but I still followed it halfheartedly.
    I wish Crean well. I guess I don't care one way or another.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Steve Alford, is on top, of the list .....

Brad Stevens, also on the list .....

You never know about this stuff. A friend who is pretty well connected at IU told me a year or so ago there are some really well-heeled IU supporters with check book in hand ready to buy out Crean's contract as well as Brad Steven's Celtics contract. Yeah, I know that would take millions but that kind of money is out there! That said, I think Alford is a more likely possibility.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My big concern with this is that the IU boosters seem to think that this is a top four job in the country, while top coaches are more likely to think of it as a top 20 job.

I just hope they didn't fire Crean in order to replace him with Dane Fife, etc.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    IU needs to make nice with Coach Knight while they can. Bury the hatchet, whatever it takes. Call me superstitious, but I don't think IU can fix their basketball program without fixing the situation with Knight.

People say that Knight is too hard headed to ever come back on campus, but while Knight might be done with IU, I don't see him turning his back on the students and greater community.

Top Bottom