• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    So I am never good at coming up with general discussion topics, but do enjoy a good ghost story. Here is one of mine.

A long time ago, I lived in New Mexico for a few years and worked in the maintenance department of a museum. Before I continue, let me share the layout of the place. The museum is comprised of 3 floors, the basement, where the museum is located, the first floor and the second floor. The first floor houses mainly a gift shop and a restaurant, as well as the maintenance room. The second floor has offices which the museum rented out to different places and it also houses HR and different museum offices, the place is full of people from Monday to Friday but Saturday and Sunday the 2nd floor is empty. Also, the whole place is shaped like a horse shoe. and everything is all in one long hall that slowly curves and you can see down the hall quite a long way.

So back to my story, first day at work, I'm in the maintenance room on the first floor and we are just talking an introducing one another and every once in a while I could hear a loud thump coming from the second floor. It was really loud and sounded like someone lifting an dropping a desk or something. So after a while I asked "what’s going on up there" and they replied, "oh those are just the ghosts from upstairs." I laughed thinking they were trying to play with me since it was my first day, but they were serious. Still, I didn't really buy anything they were saying. Later on, when I got the tour of the place, I was taken to the second floor, it was completely empty and really creepy. They told me, like I said, that the place is empty on the weekends. We didn’t hear any noises while we were up there.

I'm not sure if it was all the stories I was told that got me jittery, but I was always feeling uneasy. One day, they needed someone to stay late to set up some tables for some function, so I volunteered to stay. By the time I got done, it was dark outside and I had to go to the 2nd floor to punch out. I was really really not looking forward to this.

I get in the elevator and hit the 2nd floor. The elevator goes to the second floor and opens, everything is pitch dark, no lights except for the emergency exit signs, it was really freaky. I get out of the elevator, walk up to the punch out machine, which was right in front of the elevators or to the side of the elevators. I'm kinda spooked from the uneasy feelings an remembering all the stories they told me that I punch out real fast and bolt to the elevator. I hit the 1st floor button, the doors close about 3/4 of the way and THEY OPEN AGAIN! my heart STOPPED. It was like someone had pressed the open button from the outside, I started to panic I hit the 1st floor button like 20 times in a mater of seconds. The doors close again and as the door closed a sheet of paper slips into the elevator. Im not sure if it just happened to fall from the bulletin board in front of the elevators, or what, but what are the odds that the door closes then reopens then closes again an right before the elevator goes down the paper falls an happens to fall into the elevator underneath the door,it was freaky, it spooked me. After that, I never went up there again by myself or volunteered to do one of those after hours set ups. I have a few more stories but will let someone else chime in before I tell another :popcorn:

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I had 3 experiences at work place.

- a decade ago or so, I was doing paperwork while my co worker was with a patient, I suddenly felt someone blowing air behind my ears and thinking someone was playing with me (we use to play pranks to each other at that time) so I turned and said "WHAT?!". No one was behind me.

- Few years ago, I smelled a very distinct perfume, hovering over our office dining table. None of my co workers wear perfumes. I was alone. No windows were open. I kept smelling it thinking this can't be real. By the time someone was around, the scent was gone so I had no one to vouch.

- same year as above, another scent appeared and this time it was different in scent (both were very distinct), same location, just hovering over our dining table, I finally had a co worker present and asked her if she smelled something too. She did and just brushed it off. It later disappeared. Both scents hasn't happened since.

All these happened during day time and I didn't feel any goosebumps or anything like that. But the experience was real, I felt it and smelled it. I played it over and over my head but the rationale mind can not make sense of it. I know there was something that caused those.

Last edited:

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Another time, several of us were in the break room that’s located in the basement, there’s a couch there an a TV and sometimes we would go eat lunch there. We were eating an all of a sudden we hear a knock or a noise coming from a room which has a door that leads to the break room. I'm not sure if it was a knock or if something maybe fell, but it sounded like a knock. I was siting right on the couch and for whatever reason, I knocked on the wall, thinking someone was on the other side and dropped something or banged something on the wall or something. So I knocked on the wall and seconds later got a knock back, I don’t remember too well if this went on for a while , but something definitely knocked back once. We kinda laughed about it for a while then forgot about it an continued eating lunch. About 5 or 10 minutes later the curator of the museum walks into the break room with a box and precedes to unlock the door to the room, she walks in and I notice the lights are off in the room. So I get like goose bumps. I stand up an peak inside and it’s a storage room with boxes filled with paintings and old museum stuff. The only door to the room was the one she unlocked. We asked her about it an told her what happened but she didn’t buy it I guess, but there was no one in that room.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Posted this before, but I'll post it again.

I've got 2.

1. When i was younger and lived at my parents house i would often hear what sounded like footsteps coming up from the basement. I always just assumed it was the house settling or something. On this particular occasion i was 16 years old and asleep in my room. Again i hear the thump thump thump getting louder as someone is lumbering up the stairs, my eyes are still closed as this is kind of common so i'm used to it. I then hear my door creak open (which after this i wd-40'd my door as it scared the **** out of me). The door opening was enough to get me to open my eyes and sit up in the bed. My mom then rounds the corner, but she looked odd. She was carrying a load of laundry as she drifted into my room. I noted that she wasn't bouncing when she walked and that i could kinda see through her. I said "mom?" out loud but she didn't respond or really even look at me. She then set the load of laundry on my bed on top of my knees, but i didn't feel any weight. I looked at the laundry and raised my leg in disbelief that it was full yet didn't weigh anything. The laundry slipped off the side of the bed and hit the floor without a sound. I then looked up at my "mom" who was on her way out the door before she made it to the door she looked back at me with an evil grin that freaked me out. I jumped out of bed and grabbed a rag on the floor (possibly a spankerchief) and threw it at her. It passed through her head and slapped against the hallway wall. She went out my door and into the hallway with me close behind. As i came around the corner she was gone. I stood there for a second thinking that was ****ed up but then though "holy **** my mom is dead" I ran to my parents bedroom and she was sound asleep...and by sound i mean snoring her ass off.
    I don't think it was a ghost though as my mom is alive, but i wasn't on drugs or hallucinating.

2. My ex girlfriend calls me freaking out as she's at a friends house and something freaky has happened. I basically explain to her that i have no idea what she is talking about and honestly don't care (probably why we broke up) to hear her talking all high pitchy and advise her to tell me tomorrow when she gets back. She gets home and is still freaked out and proceeds to tell this story...all high pitchy and annoying (again probably why we aren't together anymore). She was having a sleep over drinking party with 2 of her high school friends somewhere out in the sticks. Its about midnight and all 3 of the girls are in a truck driving to Ann's house with Ann behind the wheel. They're almost to Ann's house when they drive past a neighborhood with one of those lit up stone walls with a sign "pleasant acres" designating the name of the neighborhood. In front of the wall were 3 kids no older than 13 standing 6 feet apart and staring blankly at the road. Sarah, my g/f, looks at ann and jill and says, "did you see those ****ed up kids? that was weird". Ann then locks up the brakes in the middle of the road and stares blankly forward. Sarah and jill are like "what the **** ann?" And ann just sits there. Jill grabs Ann's shoulder and Ann turns to her and starts speaking in latin then begins vomiting all over the place. Sarah and jill take off running and go to Ann's house to get her father who returns to the truck with them. Ann is now sitting in vomit and crying as she doesn't know where she's at or where everyone went. Her dad thinks she's drunk though they haven't started drinking yet, and this put a damper on the mood anyways. Sarah and jill tell her dad that everything was cool until they saw those creepy kids. Her dad gets in the car and drives up to "pleasant acres" where they saw the kids and in front of the wall was 3 crosses set 6 feet apart (the ones that people put up when someone gets in an accident). He returns and takes the girls to the house convincing them that Ann was sick. On the way home, the girls see the crosses as they pass the neighborhood and freak out some more all the way home.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    First, let me preface my story by saying that I'm very skeptical about ghosts, mainly because I just don't see the reasoning for a person to go anywhere other than his final destination after dying, i.e. my Christian belief is that people don't linger in limbo on this earth as apparitions, but instead go on either the up escalator or on the down one.
    I'm still trying to find a rational explanation for this one, but I'm stumped until someone can find me one.

Okay, about twenty years ago, when my daughter was still a baby, my wife and I took our baby with us to visit with my folks, deciding to stay overnight in the guest bedroom.
    Our baby was sleeping in the playpen right at the foot of the bed, and my folks sleeping in their room right next to ours, while my older brother (he's eccentric this way) was sleeping his sleeping bag on the chaise lounge on the back porch.
    I stirred sometime around 2:00 in the morning when I heard the baby lightly cooing softly, so I sat up in bed.
    When I did that, I noticed that the door to the room was half open and I could see the silhouette of someone standing right next to the playpen and leaning slightly forward toward the baby.
    I was thinking to myself how sweet it was that mom or dad was there to see the granddaughter for a while, probably coming back from having gone to the bathroom and quietly entertaining her before going back to bed.
    I had only been sitting up for less than ten seconds and intending to whisper goodnight to whichever of my folks was in the room, but before I could even do that, the figure straightened up, turned slightly in my direction as if turning to see me, then silently went out through the half open door.
    Surprised about the hasty departure, I lay back down and went back to sleep for the rest of the night, as did the baby.
    Come morning, all six of us were sitting around the table, enjoying each other's company, when I remembered the visitor from the night, so I just casually asked mom and dad which one of them had dropped by that night to see their granddaughter.
    They both just blinked and looked surprised.
    As it turned out, both of them had slept through the night without getting up even once.
    Assuming that they were pulling my leg, I said "No really, don't kid me here. Which one came by last night," but they maintained that they weren't joking at all.
    I asked my brother, and he just shrugged, saying that he slept like the proverbial rock all through the night.
    Keep in mind here that when I saw the person, I was awake, enough to sit up fully in bed.
    Also, my baby wasn't scared all, even laughing, and whoever it was looked exactly like a person standing there...no gauziness, no spectral glow...none of that cliched stuff.
    Also, I'll just repeat that I'm still very skeptical about the subject of ghosts as such, but there is one other detail that I hadn't mentioned: Less than a year before, my grandma on my dad's side of the family had succumbed from cancer.
    I'm not saying that it was her, and I remain a skeptic, but if there is such a thing as this kind of thing, I've said that maybe it was Grandma, coming back for just one last time to see her great granddaughter.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    And Humpty Dumpty... fell off the wall.

Look up power of suggestion.
    The human brain is easily fooled. Once an idea is put in your head, you can relate any incident to that idea.

Look at religion. With no evidence at all, people still believe because they are conditioned to believe.

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    One morning before the museum opened I was shampooing the rugs on the second floor, so I had to go from the second floor to the basement to a janitor closet to fill the carpet shampooer with water an throw out the dirty water. It was around 7 or 8 and the museum had not opened yet. I go to the janitors closet which is about in the middle of the long horse shoe shaped hall. So I am in the janitors room in front of the sink filling up the carpet cleaner with water. I have my back turned to the door which is opened, and suddenly from the corner of my eye I catch someone come in. It all happened so fast its hard to explain, but I catch someone like a faint blur walk in an I get that sense that someone just walked in. I immediately assume its one of the cleaning lady's who have all their supplies in that room (mops, toilet paper cleaning stuff), but I don’t really think anything of it an I continue to filled he thing with water. Then, I feel a tap on my shoulder. It was a tap as if someone was trying to get you to turn around quickly ro see something, even almost playful. I look back and there’s no one there. I get goose bumps and I bolt to the door an look up an down the hall an there’s no one there. I was the only one down there and you can see a long way down the hall in either direction.

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009

The human brain is easily fooled. Once an idea is put in your head, you can relate any incident to that idea.

Look at religion. With no evidence at all, people still believe because they are conditioned to believe.

I agree with you to an extent about the power of suggestion, but I think some things cannot be explained by this.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Mine is not a ghost story but rather ball lightning, when I was a little kid I was scared of thunderstorms and I would sometimes hide in the basement. During one particularly bad storm lightning struck somewhere really close to the house if not the house itself. I was in my mom's office in the basement at the time and immediately after the bolt struck a round glowing crackling orb came out of the sewer pipe above my head and hovered in the air and slowly dropped​ to the ground where it spread out and disappeared.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    I agree with you to an extent about the power of suggestion, but I think some things cannot be explained by this.

When you are alone, your sub-conscious distorts reality, especially after a suggestive comment.
    Anything can be determined relative, even though it's coincidence, and an over-active imagination.

If you were told a gruesome murder happened on the street in front of your house, and the victims could be heard calling out and been seen standing in the street late at night, you would suddenly associate noises you hear at night and any odd sightings, on that incident. Whether it ever happened or not.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Let's all say hi to Buzz Killington! :laugh:

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I can't remember if I've shared this on here before or not. When I was in 8th grade my Grandma was in the hospital for several days. Obviously, she was on my mind quite a bit during this time, but one morning while taking an Algebra test at school I had this feeling that she had passed on. I checked the clock and it was 9:36am.

My Mom picked me up from school and she said that Grandma had passed that morning a little before 10am.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Okay, give me a logical explanation for my story, still very much a skeptic about supernatural phenomena manifestations in the form of ghosts, specters, or what have you...all without any sort of leadup power of suggestion, no prior experience of any sort like it.
    Keep in mind here that in the years since I had this one incident, my younger brother, who lives in the very house that the grandma that I mentioned lived in, has said that he and his wife on multiple occasions have seen what they call ghosts, while I laugh at them even now because I stayed in that house on scores of occasions growing up without seeing or hearing anything unusual at all.
    Keep in mind that this is a huge old house built clear back in 1840, and if any house should have ghosts, it's this one, because there has been some genuine tragedy, including our great uncle (I can't remember how many generations back) Jim losing his entire family to cholera in that very house in the late 19th century, a tragedy so (understandably) terrible that he had a severe nervous breakdown right after it happened and never fully recovering.
    How come I've never seen anything in that house, I still chuckle at my brother and SIL's stories, yet I had one experience that I still can't explain totally out of the blue in my folks' house instead.
    Keep in mind that I'm a skeptic eager for a rational explanation, yet I have yet to hear one from anyone.
    There was no power of suggestion; it happened to someone who was a skeptic before and after, and I'm not bull****ting about it.

Last edited:

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    Okay, give me a logical explanation for my story, still very much a skeptic about supernatural phenomena manifestations in the form of ghosts, specters, or what have you...all without any sort of leadup power of suggestion, no prior experience of any sort like it.
    Keep in mind here that in the years since I had this one incident, my younger brother, who lives in the very house that the grandma that I mentioned lived in, has said that he and his wife on multiple occasions have seen what they call ghosts, while I laugh at them even now because I stayed in that house on scores of occasions growing up without seeing or hearing anything unusual at all.
    Keep in mind that this is a huge old house built clear back in 1840, and if any house should have ghosts, it's this one, because there has been some genuine tragedy, including our great uncle (I can't remember how many generations back) Jim losing his entire family to cholera in that very house in the late 19th century, a tragedy so (understandably) terrible that he had a severe nervous breakdown right after it happened and never fully recovering.
    How come I've never seen anything in that house, I still chuckle at my brother and SIL's stories, yet I had one experience that I still can't explain totally out of the blue in my folks' house instead.
    Keep in mind that I'm a skeptic eager for a rational explanation, yet I have yet to hear one from anyone.
    There was no power of suggestion; it happened to someone who was a skeptic before and after, and I'm not bull****ting about it.

Without having every detail, including events of the day, stress, past experiences, and the list goes on, there will never be a definitive answer.
    One explanation could be that some people have very vivid dreams, and even though they believe they awakened during the night, they actually didn't. Even if you did wake, the brain isn't fully awake and the dream is still very fresh.
    You stated that your brother claims to have had experiences in your grandmothers house, so you have been exposed to the idea.

Was the door half open or closed when you went to sleep? Was it still half open or closed when you woke up?
    You couldn't determine from the figure you saw, if it was your mother, father, or brother in your room, even though people can recognize a familiar person by their silhouette.
    You said something to this figure, but they didn't respond, they just left the room? Don't you find that odd?

What one claims to see, isn't usually what was actually seen. Some people see things that aren't there, as well as not seeing what is really there.
    That's one reason eye-witnesses can't be relied on.

Our brains are complicated and will fill in what it thinks is there and omit what is actually there.

You say you're skeptical, but being pre-disposed to the idea and other information like you've described and heard from others, will allow your sub-conscious to interfere with reality.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Without having every detail, including events of the day, stress, past experiences, and the list goes on, there will never be a definitive answer.
    One explanation could be that some people have very vivid dreams, and even though they believe they awakened during the night, they actually didn't. Even if you did wake, the brain isn't fully awake and the dream is still very fresh.
    You stated that your brother claims to have had experiences in your grandmothers house, so you have been exposed to the idea.

Was the door half open or closed when you went to sleep? Was it still half open or closed when you woke up?
    You couldn't determine from the figure you saw, if it was your mother, father, or brother in your room, even though people can recognize a familiar person by their silhouette.
    You said something to this figure, but they didn't respond, they just left the room? Don't you find that odd?

What one claims to see, isn't usually what was actually seen. Some people see things that aren't there, as well as not seeing what is really there.
    That's one reason eye-witnesses can't be relied on.

Our brains are complicated and will fill in what it thinks is there and omit what is actually there.

You say you're skeptical, but being pre-disposed to the idea and other information like you've described and heard from others, will allow your sub-conscious to interfere with reality.

FWIW, I wasn't having a vivid dream at all.
    I was awake enough to sit up in bed fully, enough so that I had to get back under the covers for a bit to get back to sleep.
    Also, I wasn't in fear one bit, and neither was my baby, even as it was happening.
    Oh, and I hadn't heard my brother going on about his encounters with "ghosts" before this, only after, so there goes that.
    As for the door, it was closed before we went to sleep, and it was open when I woke up.
    It was too dark to make out features or the size of the person, and I didn't get a chance to say anything before he/she/??? left without saying a word.
    Also, I'm not predisposed in any way to believe in what I call ghost claptrap, even now.
    I'm just perplexed about what happened.
    Believe me, I'm the last person to peddle tall tales or even just exaggerate about anything, and anyone who knows me will agree.
    I'm still trying to figure this one out, too.

Top Bottom