• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I have a midsized Liberty safe that I've never mounted to the floor.
    I'm moving next month and I'd really like to anchor this sucker down.

Ive become aware of a "post-stressed" type of foundation that involves cables tensioned during the concrete curing process.
    I've also seen what can happen if you nick one of those cables during cutting/drilling.

is this something I need to worry about? My home was built in 99. Not sure when this became a thing, or if it even exists in Indiana.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sounds like this is an engineered flooring system. I'm betting you could contact the manufacturer and get that information. I don't know anything about your particular system but one time, a few years ago, I had questions about the I-joists in our house and that manufacturer was great about answering my questions.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I have done plenty of post-tensioned residential slabs, but they were all in Texas and none in Indiana. Around here you have nothing to worry about, post tension for residential slabs is not generally used around the Midwest.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Who built your house? I drive a concrete truck and never seen cables put in a residential slab. If anything they might order fiber in the mud but that wouldn't effect what your doing.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Who built your house? I drive a concrete truck and never seen cables put in a residential slab. If anything they might order fiber in the mud but that wouldn't effect what your doing.

I have never seen cables either......100's of new homes and never seen it. I just recently seen concrete with steel fiber in it. Some mean looking stuff to work with.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have never seen cables either......100's of new homes and never seen it. I just recently seen concrete with steel fiber in it. Some mean looking stuff to work with.

Seems like that would be cost prohibitive for most low-to-medium end residential homes.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    A lot of homes in North Texas are slab foundations and almost all of them are post tensioned. It does exist.

The soil moves so much there from season to season, it is a must. You also almost never see basements down there because of this same thing.

People water their slabs down there in drought conditions because the soil moves so much.

That being said, I have never seen one in the Midwest.

Last edited:

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy

Yes it is some nasty stuff. I've even had to pour it in a pump before, not a fun situation. They use it mostly at the airport and for the deep rock tunnel.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A lot of homes in North Texas are slab foundations and almost all of them are post tensioned. It does exist.

The soil moves so much there from season to season, it is a must. You also almost never see basements down there because of this same thing.

People water their slabs down there in drought conditions because the soil moves so much.

That being said, I have never seen one in the Midwest.

When I lived in MS it was the same thing. No one had basements, and I asked why. They said the soil moves too much. But rather than post-tensioned, they did "floating slabs". That's what they did for mine when I had my house built there. Inside the concrete was stained. Never had any issues with the slab.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    When I lived in MS it was the same thing. No one had basements, and I asked why. They said the soil moves too much.

It probably depends on what part of MS, when I went there with my wife most if not all of the houses we went to had basements. This was in Independence, a suburb of Kansas city. I wanted her aunt's house, double brick construction, they were laid in a T pattern so there was a solid foot of brick. I don't want to know what that would cost to build now...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It probably depends on what part of MS, when I went there with my wife most if not all of the houses we went to had basements. This was in Independence, a suburb of Kansas city. I wanted her aunt's house, double brick construction, they were laid in a T pattern so there was a solid foot of brick. I don't want to know what that would cost to build now...

Jamil's mentioned before he once lived in Mississippi. I'm assuming there's no Kansas City, Mississippi when I say I think you got our MO's and your MS's mixed up. :)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Well I was going to chime in with some helpful insight and brag that I'm certified through the Post-tensioning institute, but it looks like everybody already covered it.

Day late, dollar short.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Mississippi is not Missouri.

;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well I was going to chime in with some helpful insight and brag that I'm certified through the Post-tensioning institute, but it looks like everybody already covered it.

Day late, dollar short.

That's what happens. People like to be helpful and they chime in with whatever experiences they've had with the subject, everhow small.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Now that the thread has shifted on INGO's loose soil...

Where's this institute? Can I send my wife there? She needs some training on how to tension a post. :naughty:

Top Bottom