• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    So the dryer is broke again, stopped heating. Replaced the element a year ago and it checks OK. The high limit thermostat and thermal fuse don't pass the continuity test. I will pick those up tomorrow. So I got to messing around with the multimeter and checking other stuff. The sensor in the front passes the continuity test but the one behind it does not. Question is what is it? Should it pass the test? I did some Googgling but came up short. Any ideas? It's the all black one behind the silver and red one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That might be a link. Is there a wiring diagram that shows these 2 safety's/limits...???
    They could serve different purposes.
    I have had horrible luck getting Samsung parts and info.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I couldn't find any diagrams. I will change those 2 orginal defective parts hopefully tomorrow. If that doesn't work it may find the same fate as the stove that died Christmas Eve, hours before everyone was scheduled to arrive. Leaving me no options but replacement. I'm disappointed in modern appliances.

Old stoves fate

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Our Samsung washer and dryer are roughly 7 years old. The washer has been totally torn apart and had the spider on the back of the drum replaced because it corroded away. When it went, it took out the drum seal and lower tub. The dryer has had the belt and the entire heater assembly (sensors and all) replaced at different times. They are the biggest pieces of **** i've owned and they were over 2g when we bought them. makes me sad to think I got rid of 15 year old Maytag stuff that still worked when we bought that Samsung junk. the reason we bought new was because our kids were getting older and we needed more capacity.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I couldn't find any diagrams. I will change those 2 orginal defective parts hopefully tomorrow. If that doesn't work it may find the same fate as the stove that died Christmas Eve, hours before everyone was scheduled to arrive. Leaving me no options but replacement. I'm disappointed in modern appliances.

Old stoves fate

I like the way you think.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Have you checked the online parts companies? Last one I used is Appliance Zone. There's a few different ones, most have diagrams and instructions for testing and replacing parts. I've probably used three different companies (check prices once you know which part you need), they're all about the same.
    and yes, that part probably should have continuity.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    It's not modern appliance, just certain brands that aren't in that department long enough to make a reputation. There are other choices out there that are more durable than a Samsung. Samsung is like a Jack of all trades, master of nothing. I was gonna ask you why picked Samsung in the first place.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    When I was shopping for a washer & dryer last summer, everyone told me avoid Samsung......Even the mom & pop place down the street that sells them (along with Maytag and another brand) We settled on a Maytag set.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Our Samsung washer and dryer are roughly 7 years old. The washer has been totally torn apart and had the spider on the back of the drum replaced because it corroded away. When it went, it took out the drum seal and lower tub. The dryer has had the belt and the entire heater assembly (sensors and all) replaced at different times. They are the biggest pieces of **** i've owned and they were over 2g when we bought them. makes me sad to think I got rid of 15 year old Maytag stuff that still worked when we bought that Samsung junk. the reason we bought new was because our kids were getting older and we needed more capacity.

We had the washer also. It died the same way as yours.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Have you checked the online parts companies? Last one I used is Appliance Zone. There's a few different ones, most have diagrams and instructions for testing and replacing parts. I've probably used three different companies (check prices once you know which part you need), they're all about the same.
    and yes, that part probably should have continuity.

Found it, it's a thermistor. repairclinic.com. I will do some more testing when I get home. Found a parts warehouse right down the street from my work. Reliable Parts, they had the first 2 parts I needed.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    It's not modern appliance, just certain brands that aren't in that department long enough to make a reputation. There are other choices out there that are more durable than a Samsung. Samsung is like a Jack of all trades, master of nothing. I was gonna ask you why picked Samsung in the first place.

It was 7-8 years ago, I don't recall exactly why we settled on Samsung.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Found it, it's a thermistor. repairclinic.com. I will do some more testing when I get home. Found a parts warehouse right down the street from my work. Reliable Parts, they had the first 2 parts I needed.

A thermistor will have different resistance at different temps. It should show continuity but you may have to find the right scale on your meter.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Also, be aware of one leg having a bad connection in your 220 outlet. I was pulling my hair out last year trying to figure out why the dryer has stopped heating and it turned out that there was never a reason for me to of even taking the case off.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Also, be aware of one leg having a bad connection in your 220 outlet. I was pulling my hair out last year trying to figure out why the dryer has stopped heating and it turned out that there was never a reason for me to of even taking the case off.
    That's always a possibility, but normally the breakers (if two breakers) are pinned together so if one trips, the other is thrown also.

oops... You meant bad connection in the outlet. I'm talking about a tripped breaker. Both are possible.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Good for you!
    with the online help, most people with just a little common sense can repair most common appliance issues.
    a lot better than paying the repair man.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Have a kenmore that's been giving me fits for a while only works when it feels like it. Replaced the circuit boards cured the problem for a month now back to square one. Workers when it wants. Think I will just rip all of the unesseary baloney out of it and hardware the drum motor and element to seperate solid state switches

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I just repaired my (gas) dryer yesterday. Ran, but quit heating. It was the thermal fuse. Cheap, so I ordered one. Will take 2 weeks to get here and my wife did not find that amusing. I found out the part was available locally, so I went to the place yesterday and when I showed the counter guy the part number, he reached under the counter and pulled one out. Apparently it's frequently requested.

Anyhoo- working fine now.

There's a certain curse to being competent with repairs and such. Sure, you save money, but you cost yourself time. I've decided that it's my hobby.

Top Bottom