• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's great. I'd heard about donkeys doing this sort of stuff before but this is the first time I've seen action photos. :D

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    My neighbor had a few Donkeys several years ago when he was raising sheep. He told me he bought them to keep the coyotes out of his sheep. I never seen them run a coyote off but in the middle of the night, on occasion, I could hear them running around, stomping and braying. I assumed they were chasing off coyotes that had gotten into the pasture.

I now suspect, after reading your post, the donkeys were in reality killing the coyotes, showing them off to their friends and eating them!!!!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Lots of people have Donkeys just to protect their goats/sheep from dogs/coyotes.

What I cannot figure out is how I can have trouble creeping on my belly to within 100 yards of a coyote, yet coyotes get killed by Donkeys. Donkeys being animals that occasionally, uncontrollably, break into fits of braying that could wake the dead.

I mean, donkeys are among the very least sneaky animals in existence and coyotes are among the most wary, but somehow free roaming coyotes manage to break into a variety of donkey containment systems and get beat to death.

Coyote slinking
    Donkey just being an Ass
    Advantage Donkey?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Coyotes are probably like, " Jesus Fred, no worries, it's a God damned donkey..."

Next thing you know, a loud hee haw, a kick to the head and it's over!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's well known that donkeys are excellent for driving off or flat out killing yodel dogs.
    They're also considerably smarter than horses.
    From what I have been told, only hogs are smarter, as far as conventional farm animals go.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My folks have llamas. They put a lot of their poultry out with the llamas, too.

The stupid camelids do a great job of keeping the coyotes out of the pasture and away from the chickens and turkey, but they'll just chew cud and watch with rapt attention as a fox drags a chicken away. My theory is that foxes aren't a threat to the llamas so they llamas don't bother with the foxes. Coyotes, however, could be a threat so they're acted upon.

Stupid llamas.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My folks have llamas. They put a lot of their poultry out with the llamas, too.

The stupid camelids do a great job of keeping the coyotes out of the pasture and away from the chickens and turkey, but they'll just chew cud and watch with rapt attention as a fox drags a chicken away. My theory is that foxes aren't a threat to the llamas so they llamas don't bother with the foxes. Coyotes, however, could be a threat so they're acted upon.

Stupid llamas.

Get some donkeys.
    As I said, they're much smarter than almost any other farm animal.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    out west I have heard of Mules killing a cougar.. not donkey related but close.. our horses have ran off a coyote or two. At night if the yotes are a howling I have a gelding and mare that will charge the fence in the direction of the sound and I let them out on our hay field and they all ran toward the yotes carrying on.. I dont want a donkey buy our neighbor has a couple and are hilarious.

Top Bottom