How do you prep your burgers for the grill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I'm curious what you guys use on your burgers? I typically use worsterchire sauce and hamburger seasoning. Last weekend I used both along with cayenne pepper and black pepper hoping it would add more flavor, but really didn't do much.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Montreal steak seasoning, Montreal hamburger seasoning or Emeril, bam burger seasoning. They are fantastic. Rather than just shaking some on, I add it to the meat as I make the patties...unless my wife buys the pre made frozen patties. Oh and occasionally I have been known to add a drop or two of A1 steak sauce on top a minute or two before the cheese goes on

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Since we're talking about flavor, good point Oldpink. I definitely prefer ground chuck, over plain ol' hamburger. Sometimes (depending how much I am cooking) I get ground Bison, add seasoning and right before I put cheese on it I let a small pad of butter melt over the top. Then add cheese and bacon (but not always). Now whenever I grill Bison burgers I always use hickory chips with the charcoal to give it just a kiss of smoke flavor

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since we're talking about flavor, good point Oldpink. I definitely prefer ground chuck, over plain ol' hamburger. Sometimes (depending how much I am cooking) I get ground Bison, add seasoning and right before I put cheese on it I let a small pad of butter melt over the top. Then add cheese and bacon (but not always). Now whenever I grill Bison burgers I always use hickory chips with the charcoal to give it just a kiss of smoke flavor

Love me some hickory.
    Either get regular wood chips or break off some of the excess from a big Shagbark, then soak overnight in water.
    Lay it on the coals, then put on the lid and let it work its magic.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Mix in a raw egg per 1 lb of ground meat. Use your hands and really mix it in there - pretend you're making meat loaf.

Mince some onions, too, if that's your thing.

Start with 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and mix that in. If it can handle another T - then add that in, too. Don't let the slurry get too sloppy or you'll just have to add more meat which you may or may not have ready.

Make patties then grill.

OR, if you're feeling really froggy, mix 1lb beef with 1lb mild dinner sausage. Then add an egg or 2 to the mix. Mix it up well, then make patties.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Well, it starts with going to the back yard and dispatching ol' Bessie. Then I have to butcher the carcass before I use the grinder...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Depends on the mood. Montreal steak seasoning. Salt and pepper. Onion and garlic powder. Worcestershire sauce. Or combination of them. I've also mixed in diced bacon, goat cheese, or butter if very lean. One of the best I made was with some fresh ground brisket, I bought a whole packer and smoked the flat and ground the point for burgers.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't put anything in the burger, I'm more concerned with forming patties which will stay together and cook evenly. Sometimes I'll add some salt and/or granulated garlic but I cook them hot enough that I don't think it makes much difference in the end.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    always put a deep thumbprint in the middle of the burger to retain its shape, use med heat, never smash the juices out of your burger. ditch the spatula, wait until sides of burger start browning, and use tongs for flipping. don't salt red meat, wait for it to brown

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Mix in a raw egg per 1 lb of ground meat. Use your hands and really mix it in there - pretend you're making meat loaf.

Mince some onions, too, if that's your thing.

Start with 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and mix that in. If it can handle another T - then add that in, too. Don't let the slurry get too sloppy or you'll just have to add more meat which you may or may not have ready.

Make patties then grill.

OR, if you're feeling really froggy, mix 1lb beef with 1lb mild dinner sausage. Then add an egg or 2 to the mix. Mix it up well, then make patties.

Really? An egg?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also - unless y'all grind the beef yourself, it's always the best bet (from a microbiological standpoint) to cook ground beef patties until they're DONE.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Thanks for the tips guys it gives me something to work with. @ oldpink, I too enjoy ground chuck over ground beef, however we had a cow butchered and now I've got a lot of ground beef patties.

Top Bottom