• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Someone mentioned I should consider a Go Fund Me or something similar. I don't know how I feel about it.
    we recently found out our 96 pound 2 year old dog (adopted from an INGO member) needs both knees operated on, at the cost of $7000+!
    It will take me quite a while to save that up. In the mean time Roxy is miserable, in pain, and it kills me to see her limp around and having a hard time even standing up. If she was older, it would make a lot more sense and would probably be easier to think about euthanasia. Right now, I can't even consider that.

so, is it selfish, ridiculous, or what? To consider asking others to help with my responsibility?
    I've got my own surgery and health issues I've been putting off because of cost, and now this.
    I was just about to give(offer) the dog to a close friend who just lost her 12 or 13 year old dog to cancer, but I can't give her a dog that needs $7000 of surgery. It wouldn't be right.

what say INGO?

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    It would be hard to put a good, young dog down. People will give if they want to. I'm not well-off, but i could spare a small amount. I know it's hard to put that out there, where some people will probably criticize, but if they do, they probably aren't good friends anyway.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I would far rather help a dog or cat than a lot of the selfish crap people start them for.
    Go ahead and start one . . . I will help.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Might reach out to Purdue school of veterinary medicine. Sometimes they'll do procedures for free in exchange for their students to get experience.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Is this surgery guaranteed to help the dog? Will the dog become pain free and gain mobility?
    It's $7K and it's a dog Chris.
    Not wanting to seem cold but that's a life changing amount of money.
    Maybe the donations are the right path.
    Call me insensitive but I know of very few dogs I would put that kind of money in.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I like dogs more than most people, but with that it's still a dog. I would put it down. I never want to see an animal suffer, but that kind of money on an animal is :nuts:.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A coworker of mine had to take his dog for some knee surgery and was quotef a crazy price. He found some Vet office around Franklin that did it for like 5 or $600. I won't see him to ask where until Monday but you might be able to find it online

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Wow! 6 say they would pitch in, 3 say no way. That's better than I expected.
    I wasn't even asking whether or not you would, just opinions on actually starting the account.
    Thanks everyone for your opinions! Including those that consider it a waste of money. Those comments are worth as much as the positive ones!
    like I said before, if Roxy was 10-15 years old, it would be easier to decide to put her down. But at her age (barely 2 years old) and the way my family has grown to love her, that's something I can't even consider.
    So my choices are really- do the surgeries, or pump her full of pain meds and hope for the best.
    You guys are making my decision easier, I'm leaning towards trying it. My wife says she won't put it on her Facebook (I don't do FB), looks like that would be a good way to get the word out. She thinks it's asking for charity, and that was kind of my thought at first. But like someone above said, if someone wants to pitch in they can, but there's definitely no pressure.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Might reach out to Purdue school of veterinary medicine. Sometimes they'll do procedures for free in exchange for their students to get experience.
    I asked a vet that graduated Purdue. She said they do the surgery, but it would probably be about the same price.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is this surgery guaranteed to help the dog? Will the dog become pain free and gain mobility?
    It's $7K and it's a dog Chris.
    Not wanting to seem cold but that's a life changing amount of money.
    Maybe the donations are the right path.
    Call me insensitive but I know of very few dogs I would put that kind of money in.
    Yes, it will help her dramatically! It will relieve the pain and change the geometry of the knees. Add steel plates on both sides of both knees.
    youre right Harry, it's a s**t load of money! Ecspecially when I'm putting off my own back surgery and dental work because of money. Funny thing is, I wouldn't even think about asking anyone to help with my health care!
    Youre not insensitive. But you might think differently if it was your own dog, maybe not. But that's why I asked, I want honest opinions.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    A coworker of mine had to take his dog for some knee surgery and was quotef a crazy price. He found some Vet office around Franklin that did it for like 5 or $600. I won't see him to ask where until Monday but you might be able to find it online
    Let me know if you can see what that dog actually needed, and where it was done. I'm guessing nothing like Roxy needs. Regular Vets aren't surgeons. There aren't many Veterinarian surgeons around (probably part of the reason it's so expensive- no competition).

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Several years ago, I found myself in similar situation. Recent divorce at the time made money tight. My dog needed $5000 surgery on lungs to save it(4 yr old). I refused to let him die from my lack of funds. I borrowed from care credit and took care of him. Still with me today, my best friend. Doesn't ask anything from me, just me. Couldn't see this happening any other way. Yes, I like dogs more than most people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Chris, I would never ever consider this on any of out pets. Just an insane amount of money.
    "But"......this is not any of our pets. It is a friends pet that he loves and wants to save. How can I say no.

But seriously, putting off your health needs might not be the wise decision here. This is your choice but we are net getting any younger.

Top Bottom