• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have a 2004 F250. A couple of weeks ago I noticed it didn't fire up as easy as usual. Well then a week or so ago it decided it didn't want to start, I let it set, scanned for codes...and nothing. An hour later it fired up fine. Today it decided to **** out again. Wouldn't start to save my life, finally kicked the fuel tank while turning it over and it fired up....drove it home and turned off and restarted it with no problem. 5 minutes later it wouldn't start, so I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and it was zero. I am pretty sure I have a fuel pump going out and/or fuel filter clogged....but now I am wondering could it be a regulator? Will a fuel pump work then not work? I thought when they went bad, they went bad.

Will a failing or bad fuel pressure regulator prevent fuel rail from building ANY pressure?

Thanks for your thoughts.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Your fuel pump, is going out .....

I could "beat" on my Dodge, 2-3 times, then, at the worst possible time,

worst possible place, during work,

it quit .....

it is just a matter of time .....

Don't buy junk fuel pump, pay extra for a "good" brand ....

Delphi, is good, Airtex, is NOT .....

JMHO .....

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My money would be on fuel pump. If I were you, I'd buy a new Ford pump and lift the bed up instead of dropping tank. Also a new inline filter.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If it wouldnt start then you smacked the tank and it started the pump is definitely your problem. As others have stated dont skimp on a cheap pump. Definitely stay away from the usual places, Auto Zone, Advanced, etc. Would recommend a Ford factory replacement unless you want to take the chance of doing it multiple times.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    This truck has 345,000 miles and is driving me nuts. It wouldn't start earlier and I just went out and tried it and it fired right up. Has to be a pump I think....going to put another one in tomorrow. I have had to do this 2 times before, I think. Once for sure....thanks for confirming my thoughts. I have just never had a pump work sometimes then not other times.....seems they have always just gone out on me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes fuel pumps will work hit or miss. Sound like a fuel pump but I would probably try to visually inspect the wiring harness for any damage or corrosion. I would try to verify power to the pump when it won't start before dropping a money on a pump and filter. However, I wouldn't consider using anything but a Motorcraft fuel pump. Fuel pump isn't something to buy cheap, DO NOT use a bosch pump.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Man, I now know why I work with wood and shingles and not a mechanic. I dropped my tank yesterday and put in the new pump, put the tank back in and took off down the road. First stop, gas station...sitting there and the brakes go to the floor. Look and I see brake fluid coming from where else.........behind the tank. I had noticed a rusty brake line down the rail when tank was out but was rushing and didn't want to take time to replace....well, it ended up biting me. Got to come home and remove the entire tank again, fix the brake line and re-install the tank. What a PITA! On a positive note, it seems to have fixed the problem.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Man, I now know why I work with wood and shingles and not a mechanic. I dropped my tank yesterday and put in the new pump, put the tank back in and took off down the road. First stop, gas station...sitting there and the brakes go to the floor. Look and I see brake fluid coming from where else.........behind the tank. I had noticed a rusty brake line down the rail when tank was out but was rushing and didn't want to take time to replace....well, it ended up biting me. Got to come home and remove the entire tank again, fix the brake line and re-install the tank. What a PITA! On a positive note, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Yep, that's pretty much standard.

Late to the party I know but having worked at a parts store, yea avoid the parts store pumps (like airtex). Yes the genuine stuff (Delphi, Motorcraft....dodge?) costs 3x more but you also won't have to replace it in a year.

As for the pump failing, electric motors can fail completely and suddenly (open, short, siezure) or they can fail intermittently (typically if the brushes wear down, it's intermittent)

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin

That sucks.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If it wouldnt start then you smacked the tank and it started the pump is definitely your problem. As others have stated dont skimp on a cheap pump. Definitely stay away from the usual places, Auto Zone, Advanced, etc. Would recommend a Ford factory replacement unless you want to take the chance of doing it multiple times.

FWIW, Autozone, Advanced, etc also carry good, name-brand stuff, it's just more expensive. That being said, if you want name-brand for the price of the discount stuff skip your local parts store and head to rockauto.com or one of the other numerous reputable online parts giants. Generally the EXACT SAME part is about 40-70% of the cost of the locals. You will lose a bit more on things that have a core-charge if you have to pay return shipping, but I've found its STILL cheaper than the local place.

IE, 4 Bosch O2 sensor for my truck were less than $100, new Remy gear-reduction starter for my truck with no core charge was $75. Those things alone would have run me nearly $300 from Advanced...

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I love RockAuto......hard to beat the deals they have. When I have to go to Advance, I always buy online and get 30% off.....which helps. I got ball joint kits from rockauto for 150..4 ball joints, 2 seals, 2 o rings, 2 outer axle bearing/seals. Advance wanted 70 for one bearing/seal alone. Hard to beat them on price.

Top Bottom